HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 1:50 PM

Anyone on here know why the #3 highway hasn't progressed onto Brookfield Rd yet? It seems to come right up to it and then there is a house in the way. Have there been any announcements as the when Brookfield Rd might be shut down?

It's really going to suck for Lesters Farm Market when the road goes into construction. Maybe they are waiting until the busy season is over.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 6:03 PM

Any info on the development of the Kenmount/Topsail overpass?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trend CJ View Post
Anyone on here know why the #3 highway hasn't progressed onto Brookfield Rd yet? It seems to come right up to it and then there is a house in the way. Have there been any announcements as the when Brookfield Rd might be shut down?

It's really going to suck for Lesters Farm Market when the road goes into construction. Maybe they are waiting until the busy season is over.
I was wondering the same thing, I am very curious as to how this highway is going to blend with the current Brookfield Road as the figure shows it running parallel with it. I'm guessing there may be some delays/issues with expropriation in that area, but just a guess. Or maybe there is only enough money this year to go so far and it will be completed to Pitts Memorial next year ??

Either way, the road seems to be progressing well in other areas with the exception of Brookfield and Topsail overpasses.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 7:01 PM

The only overpass work that's been contracted was for the twinning of Kenmount Road. No contracts have been let for the other overpasses/underpasses, don't know what the delay is for that. They could easily be doing concrete work at some of these. None of these projects seem in any hurry, likewise for
major water/sewer work - Elizabeth avenue may well be closed into September, the busiest time of the year, yet there's little/no work at night or weekends. Isn't there ever any performance penalties on these projects?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 7:07 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

^ I believe some of the projects are delayed because of a shortage of the necessary workers. I forget if I read that somewhere credible or overheard it at a coffee shop, though. :|

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 8:15 PM

The extension of the CBS bypass between Kelligrews and Seal Cove is coming along. I believe they are in the middle of constructing a bridge to cross a small brook. I also read recently a tender has been issued for paving; I'm guessing that'll start sometime in September.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwalsh View Post
Any info on the development of the Kenmount/Topsail overpass?
I haven't heard much about this project lately. The media has reported in the past that delays are being caused by a worker shortage and having to ship in materials in from the mainland. I'm convinced The Golden Gate bridge didn't take this long to be built ---

Old Posted Aug 25, 2012, 1:20 PM

Howto get around

Another story on the collective need for a regional public transit system.

Source: The Telegram, Aug 25, 2012

Quote:
Regional public transit for St. John’s metro area hinges on all levels of government

St. John’s Coun. Tom Hann has said it on numerous occasions over the last year, both in speaking with reporters and inside council chambers — a regional public transit system is necessary to meet the needs of the St. John’s metro area.

The city’s downtown parking study found that more than 40 per cent of people coming to the area for work come from outside city boundaries.
“What do we do to reduce the traffic congestion, the greenhouse gas emissions, and all the related problems that brings?” asked Hann, chairman of the St. John’s Transit Commission, which is responsible for Metrobus Transit.
“The answer is, some kind of regional transit system, or some kind of park and ride at both ends of the city so people can drive out to the environs of the city with a shuttle service running to the downtown core.”

However, roadblocks remain over how committed other communities are to sharing a public transit system and how such a venture would be funded.
According to the 2011 census, the combined population of Mount Pearl, Paradise, Conception Bay South, Portugal Cove-St. Philip’s, and Torbay stands at 81,590, a 13.1 per cent jump from the 2006 census total of 72,077. Over that same period, the population of St. John’s has risen from 100,646 to 106,172....
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...o-get-around/1

If there was some sort of park-and-ride system established here I, for one, would be more than happy to use the service.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2012, 1:54 AM

This has been reported by Townie709 on the St. John's main project thread but I thought it would be a good idea to post here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
I think the overpass might finally be finished and open for buisness.. well traffic! Saw this tweet on vocm along with a picture

"What's that? Indeed #nltraffic traveling WB ONTOP of the overpass this afternoon! #vocmnews yfrog.com/kg7qppyj
Read more at http://yfrog.com/kg7qppyj#wii2S68JPc8WG9wk.99

Has to be the longest overpass construction in history! oh well, at least they can move on to another project now.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2012, 9:23 PM

I was looking at the twitter pic of the Kenmount overpass posted by Townie709 and, I'm not 100% sure, but it looks as if traffic is moving on the overpass in both directions. I'm pretty sure the overpass was to be upgraded to four lanes. Is it that there's only one of two overpass built yet or am I totally off-base? Does anyone have info on this?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I was looking at the twitter pic of the Kenmount overpass posted by Townie709 and, I'm not 100% sure, but it looks as if traffic is moving on the overpass in both directions. I'm pretty sure the overpass was to be upgraded to four lanes. Is it that there's only one of two overpass built yet or am I totally off-base? Does anyone have info on this?
Drove it today, it looks like a single wide overpass, so it will be four lanes undivided. Right now it's paved on one side, so there's only a single lane in each direction. It's actually sort of confusing to drive.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConundrumNL View Post
Drove it today, it looks like a single wide overpass, so it will be four lanes undivided. Right now it's paved on one side, so there's only a single lane in each direction. It's actually sort of confusing to drive.
Thanks for the update! Unfortunately, it doesn't surprise me that it's confusing to drive.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 11:36 AM

Airport Workers on Strike

Source: VOCM, Sept 11, 2012

Quote:
The St. John's International Airport Authority says it's concerned about the "strike first and negotiate later" approach being taken by PSAC. Employees at the airport set up picket lines at 5am this morning, after four days of unsuccessful talks. President Keith Collins says the Airport Authority has flexibility on the outstanding issues, and is ready to re-open negotiations at any time.

The airport authority says the unionized workers have asked for a 58 per cent wage increase over four years. The Airport is an essential service, so there is still a sufficient number of employees working to meet all Transport Canada regulations during the strike.

The union is accusing the company of taking away concessions. Spokesperson Wayne Fagan says workers will stay out as long as necessary. Last time around he says they were gone for 87 days, he warns it could be longer this time around. Fagan says airport operations are slowed, but traffic is making its way through the area.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...26526&latest=1

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 5:48 PM

Brookfield Road / Bifurcation Road
I heard a rumor (just a rumor) that the bifurcation/team Gushie highway will turn and run parallel to Brookfield road along side the Environmental Farm that is currently there. They recently removed all of the barnyard fencing along the side of the road. I also heard that when the new highway connects to the Heavy Tree Road/Goulds bypass interchange, there will be no overpass over Brookfield but will basically cut off Brookfield Road as a thoroughfare as it is right now. That will suck if that is the case. Have seen maps showing the proposed route and it also showed an off-shute road from the new highway leading into the back of the Brookfield Plains subdivision which is currently only accessible through Mount Pearl off Commonwealth Ave. Time will tell. I find these developments always change from the original plan by the time they get things completed.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 1:01 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

September 30, 2012

Team Gushue Highway by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Team Gushue Highway by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Mayor Critical of Overpass Design

It's been almost a year since work began on the Topsail Road / Kenmount Road Overpass and it has been a source of traffic slowdowns for metro region drivers. But motorists are not the only people feeling frustrated by the redesign work. The Mayor of Paradise says there is a major design flaw in the overall reconstruction. Ralph Wiseman says he is disappointed by the result of a project that cost millions of dollars.

He says it is not a cloverleaf style access to Topsail Road. Drivers still have to cross two lanes of traffic to make a left turn to go south on Topsail Road. He says given the amount of money spent on the project they should have gotten it right.
Wiseman says the traffic problem is compounded by the fact that there is no proper cloverleaf on the overpass on the Outer Ring Road, creating a situation where motorists have to cross two lanes to access the highway. He says that backs the traffic up on Topsail Road. The town has had some preliminary discussions on a solution and have come up with a tentative plan.

He says they would discontinue the left hand turn on the ORR and free up traffic. The only light would be on Carlyle Drive. He says traffic would move freely and turn right on Bruce to access the ORR. It's that, or continuing and worsening back-ups on Topsail Road.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...27091&latest=1

Ralph Wiseman is such a joke. I'm sure at some point the proposal for the overpass had to cross his desk, yet he's only complaining now?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...27091&latest=1

Ralph Wiseman is such a joke. I'm sure at some point the proposal for the overpass had to cross his desk, yet he's only complaining now?
What? Another design flaw and officials complain after the fact? I don't believe it!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 6:48 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Dear God, amalgamate already!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Dear God, amalgamate already!
I heard on the news that property values in municipalities outside St. John's (mount pearl, CBS, paradise, ect) skyrocketed. Some as much as 40%. That will probably increase taxes in places around St. John's and may even tone down the opposition of amalgamation due to "increased St. John's taxes".

I think amalgamation is inevitable.. It's just a matter of time!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 1:33 AM

I was at the airport the other day, first time since June. Surprised to see that the additional parking lots are completed across the Airport Service Rd and the roadway paralleling Radio Range Rd is underway. Quite a bit of construction going on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's