HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 12:15 PM

Out of the fog

Speak of the devil......

Source: The Telegram, May 8, 2012

Quote:
Airlines add flights to clear backlog of passengers from more than 40 cancelled flights
Quote:
With airlines still recovering from thick fog over the weekend that cancelled or delayed dozens of flights, the
St. John’s airport is moving ahead with its plans to install a new landing system that will allow more flights to land in foggy conditions.
The St. John’s International Airport Authority late last month started running ads requesting statements of qualifications from electrical contractors for runway inset lighting for “strategic airfield accessibility improvements” at the airport. Marie Manning, the director of marketing and community relations for the airport authority, confirmed for The Telegram that it’s part of the $26-million instrument landing system, slated to be in place by the end of 2013.
A spokesman for Air Canada told The Telegram Monday that through the weekend about 30 flights were cancelled, but he didn’t provide the total number of passengers on those flights.
Several departures from St. John’s airport were cancelled Monday morning before visibility was good enough for planes to start leaving.
“By the end of the day we expect all affected travellers who want to travel will be able to, although some will have found alternative means of transport and others will have elected not to travel,” wrote Peter Fitzpatrick in an email to The Telegram Monday afternoon.
“To alleviate the backlog, we have added extra flights, including two large 767 aircraft yesterday and another extra 767 flight this evening.”
Likewise, WestJet spokeswoman Jennifer Sanford told The Telegram that it cancelled 11 flights in or out of St. John’s, and that it had drafted two more aircraft to the region today to help get the backlog cleared up. “Weather permitting in St. John’s, all guests will be reaccommodated by end of day,” she wrote.
Manning said the airport’s new instrument landing system will be a focus of the airport’s annual public meeting May 15, which will also touch on the new access road, due to be completed this year.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 3:50 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

^ I'm back home in Nova Scotia visiting family, but my close friend was away on business in Montreal, and supposed to fly back to St. John's Friday afternoon. He got stranded, along with many others, and so he had an unexpected weekend in Halifax. Ended up getting out Sunday night, only to be re-directed once they were in the air and landed in Gander. At 11pm he messaged me informing me he was on his way back to St. John's from Gander. After our nights out in Halifax, plus his late night drive, I can't imagine that Monday morning was fun for him.

Morale of the story though, better lighting can't come soon enough. Given the weather in St. John's, which is no secret to anyone, staying on the cutting end of such technology should be the top priority of the airport. Same for winter conditions too. Once of the worst aspects of doing business on the island is flying off it. It is incredibly unreliable. The end of 2013 seems awful far away.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 1:08 AM

Does anyone know the status of the new access road to the airport? I believe it is supposed to be completed this year, and that it is going to be a four lane road, but I am not sure.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
Does anyone know the status of the new access road to the airport? I believe it is supposed to be completed this year, and that it is going to be a four lane road, but I am not sure.
I don't think it's been started yet. Below is a link to a press release outlining the SJIAA's multi-year infrastructure upgrade plan. This document doesn't give a completion date of the access road, although I'd assume it will be one of their first upgrades. I think it would be reasonable to complete by end of year - if it's started soon.

http://www.stjohnsairport.com/press/...tail.cfm?id=26

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
Here and Now just had a report about the airport re-development. Work on the access road will start this year, along with the lighting system upgrade. Terminal expansion is coming over the next few years.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 1:17 AM

Access road will begin next month.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 11:04 AM

St. John's International Airport to Double in Size

Source: VOCM, May 16, 2012

Quote:
St. John's International Airport will double in size over the next 8 years. The Airport Authority held its annual meeting last evening in St. John's. Chair Darlene Whelan says the airport will add some 200-thousand square feet of new airport terminal space to accommodate the province's growing economy.

A record 1.4-million passengers passed through the airport in 2011, more than any other year on record. By 2020 it's predicted that some 1.9-million will pass through the airport terminals.

The airport will double in size by 2020, with some 200-thousand square feet being added to both the east and west ends of the existing building. More terminals, plane space, baggage and passenger areas will be added.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...23199&latest=1

It's great to see some headway on this project. I'm looking forward to seeing the final product, although that's a few years out.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 11:20 AM

Numbers up across board for St. John’s airport

Source: The Telegram, May 16, 2012

Quote:
More people + more money = capital improvements
Quote:
Its been a good year for the St. John’s International Airport. Numbers are up across the board; capital improvements are moving from the drawing board to shovels in the ground, there’s a surplus and all indications point to these trends continuing.

It’s hard to get much better than that, said Darlene Whalen, chairwoman of the Airport Authority’s board of directors The authority held it’s annual general meeting Wednesday evening and gave updates on both its financial and passenger numbers from 2011 and the status of upcoming infrastructure projects.

Whalen started off by giving an update on passenger numbers — because everything else about the airport is tied to that. Passenger travel reached a record high of 1.4 million people in 2011 — an increase of four per cent from 2010.

Revenues were also up, primarily from airport improvement fee revenue (a fee charged to every passenger leaving St. John’s), which was up by $1.9 million. Other factors like an increase in non-aeronautical business and an increase in military traffic from the U.S. also contributed to the increase in revenues.
Overall the airport found itself with a net surplus of about $4 million. As the airport is a not-for-profit organization, that money will be reinvested.
http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/...ohns-airport/1

Last edited by statbass; May 16, 2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Included link to full story

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 11:36 AM

There is also a news story on VOCM's web page today about the airport expansion and a link to schematics of the expansion plans which look very interesting. http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...23199&latest=1

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 3:25 PM

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 8:32 PM

Broadening public transit

Quote:
The recent public transit study completed for the City of St. John’s identifies expansion to regional public transit as a key next step in the development of public transit on the Northeast Avalon.

Section 18 of the report focuses attention on the subject of regional public transit. The report’s authors, Dillon Consulting, identify several key points which emphasize the need for regional public transit. They include: increased traffic congestion due to population growth, scarcity of parking in the downtown, access to employment opportunities and community services, reducing greenhouse gas emissions and improved air quality.

To make this happen, the report recommends that Metrobus ask the provincial government to facilitate the formation of an implementation team comprised of Metrobus and representatives from St. John’s, Mount Pearl, Paradise, Conception Bay South and Torbay. According to the report, the implementation team would establish service standards to ensure a performance-based approach for public transit throughout the region. ...

...Until now, most public transit outside of St. John’s and Corner Brook has been left to the private sector to operate on a for-profit basis. In recent years, many of these operators have discontinued providing the service. Most municipalities that have explored establishing their own public transit system have found it too expensive to fund on their own. This is perfectly understandable. There are few, if any, public transit systems in Canada that function on a for-profit basis. Public transit is generally regarded as a public service.

In most urban municipalities in Canada it is regarded as part of our built infrastructure and paid for out of taxes. If run efficiently it promotes access to employment, schools, post-secondary institutions, and other public and community services. It serves to improve the quality of life for citizens in urban and suburban communities as it reduces greenhouse gas emissions.

The next challenge for the establishment of regional public transit rests with the provincial government, the cities of St. John’s and Mount Pearl and the municipalities of Paradise, Conception Bay South and Torbay. Given the projections of continued increases in the median age of Newfoundlanders and Labradorians over the next decade, this would seem to be an item on which governments should be focused. ...
Read the full article at http://www.thetelegram.com/Opinion/L...blic-transit/1

Old Posted Jun 7, 2012, 11:19 AM

Lobbying for More Direct Flights to Ireland

Quote:
St. John's is now part of a lobbying effort to have direct flights between Canada and Ireland. The only direct service between Ireland and Canada happens between April and October when Air Transit operates a scheduled service, however Canada's Ambassador to Ireland, Loyola Hearn, says efforts are being made to get year-round direct flights. He stressed that St. John's International Airport is a big part of this campaign.

Hearn says the direct flight lobby is making progress with a number of interested parties on both sides of the Atlantic.

Meanwhile, Hearn put on the hockey skates recently to help officially open the first NHL hockey size rink in Dublin. He says he can't wait to have hockey teams from this province, especially his home turf on the Southern Shore, to travel to Ireland to play some games in the new facility.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...23819&latest=1

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 1:30 PM

Update on Airport Expansion

Source: VOCM, June 20, 2012

Quote:
The CEO of the St. John's International Airport Authority provided the St. John's Board of Trade yesterday with an update on major expansion work at the airport. Keith Collins said almost $200-million is being pumped into new infrastructure to improve just about every aspect of the current airport. The terminal will be expanded by 18-thousand square feet, with upgrades to the airfield, a new access road, and added parking. Collins says since 1998, passenger traffic has doubled at the airport.

He says they've reached a level of traffic that is 15 years beyond the planning assumptions that were used for the current terminal building. Collins says it speaks to the remarkable hyper-growth that's happened in that time and that growth won't be slowing down any time soon.

Collins said a new technology will also be introduced that will drastically reduce the impact fog has on flights. The Category III Instrument Landing System is used around the world, and will improve accessibility and safety during times when heavy fog would normally pose difficulties for aircraft. Once all the upgrades have been completed, the airport will be on par with the top airports in the country, keeping the province's growing economy, and booming tourism industry alive and well.

He says they've set a mission for themselves to deliver an outstanding airport experience and to facilitate the region's economic development. He says while they recognize they may never be the largest airport in the world, there's really no reason they can't be one of the best.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...24221&latest=1

I don't think this article adds anything new to what was previously know about the airport expansion but I thought it would be a good idea to post here anyway.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 12:34 AM

The airport expansion is much needed. St. John's International is stunning as is, however the post-security side of the airport is lacking. Hopefully with the expansion some extras could be added (restaurant, bar, etc), along with more terminals which are definitely needed. Hopefully with such an expansion the airport can look at more potential destinations for direct flights (Boston comes to mind)

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 11:14 AM

One thing I was upset to not see in the plans for the airport expansion was a parking structure. I use longterm parking a few times throughout the year and absolutely hate when winter comes along and I have to come back to a car that is buried in snow and ice and with snow plowed up level with the hood of my car, leaving me to dig it out. I think every other major airport I've been to in my life has a parking garage. Now, it looks as though they are putting the long term parking even further away, having to clear additional land for it. Given the horrible weather conditions a lot of the time here, there should be a covered walkway leading to a parking garage. This would make everyone happy as opposed to battling snow, ice, wind, rain, etc., carrying several bags/suitcases and trying to get them in your car without freezing, blowing away or becoming soaking wet.

Sorry, bit of a rant but I was just hoping they were going to build one.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 2:46 PM

Rut Repairs

Some well needed road repairs are coming up...

Source: VOCM, July 4, 2012

Quote:
High traffic areas in the Avalon region will undergo rut repairs this summer. The Department of Transportation says the routes to be addressed are among the highest traffic areas in the provice. A tender has been called for the repaving of over 8 kilometres of the Outer Ring Road from Torbay Road to Kenmount Road, about 10 kilometres of the TCH between the Route 2 interchange and Foxtrap, and 6.8 kilometres of Route 2 from Kilbride to Fowlers Road.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...24635&latest=1

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 8:08 PM

St. John's International Airport has posted their ten-year capital plan on their website. It also has a link to a detailed pdf of the upgrades and expansions which are planned (which are much more visible than in the video we have seen)

http://www.stjohnsairport.com/index/index.cfm?id=190

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 9:53 PM

Mount Pearl to Review Transit System

Quote:
Mount Pearl is going to review transit services in the city to see what types of services the people want. The city has hired a consultant to assess conventional transit provided by Metrobus, paratransit services for persons with disabilities, and taxi cab services.
Mayor Randy Simms says they want to hear from people on how best to serve the needs of residents and employers.
Public information sessions will be held next Tuesday from 2-4 and again from 6-8 at City Hall.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...24696&latest=1

Mount Pearl launches public transit study

Quote:
The City of Mount Pearl is looking at its transit service and asking what the future of public transit should look like in the city.
To do that, the city has hired Dillon Consulting, and is asking for input from residents, said Mayor Randy Simms.
“The success of this study is dependent on input from the community” he said. “Whether or not you use public transit, these services are an important municipal investment and there needs to be a clear direction moving forward on how to best serve the needs of Mount Pearl residents and employers and we need to hear from you.”
The study will include an assessment of conventional transit provided by Metrobus, paratransit services for persons with disabilities and taxi cab services.
A public information session is scheduled for July 10 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Mount Pearl city hall.
Members of the study team will present preliminary recommendations and ask for feedback from residents, with public input forming part of the final study recommendations.
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...ransit-study/1

I hope they do something good that can be connected to the st. john's transit system easily and efficiently.. all the same I'm happy they are talking about it because it is just a step towards some form of regional transit (even if they end up operating their portion themselves)

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 3:12 PM

St. John's Airport Showing Strong Numbers

Source: VOCM, July 10, 2012.

Quote:
St. John's International Airport continues to record strong numbers as the summer season progresses. Porter Airlines is reporting strong demand this summer on its flights at St. John's International Airport. Porter Spokesperson Brad Cicero says the volume of traffic is good. Cicero says overall the airline registered a 62 per cent load fact in June, carrying 212-thousand people on its network. That's a 4.2 per cent increase over last year.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...24787&latest=1

Old Posted Jul 14, 2012, 1:07 PM

Airport seeing growth every month

More news about the growth of STJ International Airport:

Source: The Telegram, July 14, 2012

Quote:
St. John’s International Airport is poised for another record year of passenger traffic, with an 8.4 per cent increase in travel over 2011’s total at the same time last year.

From the beginning of January to the end of June this year, there have been 660,666 arrivals and departures at the airport, compared with 609,417 over the same period in 2011, which is the busiest year on record for the airport so far, with about 1.4 million people travelling through the airport.

Every month this year so far has seen an increase in passengers, with the biggest bump coming in the first four months of the year; each month from January to April saw double-digit percentage increases. February saw 14.5 per cent more passengers this year over last, April had 13 per cent more passengers, and January and March each saw an increase of 10.2 per cent.
Marie Manning, the airport authority’s director of marketing and community relations, said the strong St. John’s economy is the reason for the increase.
“That’s led to a lot more business travel,” she said. “And also because our economy’s really strong, there’s a high level of disposable income within our community, so more people are travelling for leisure as well.”

Combine that with rising tourism numbers over the last couple of years, and the higher traffic numbers at the airport aren’t a surprise, she said. St. John’s is also an increasingly popular conference destination she said, which is helping to spread traffic out beyond the busy May to August season.

http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/...-every-month/1

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's