HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Looks like Paradise is encroaching on St. John's space.... All jokes aside, at least this shows some glimmer of hope that regional cooperation can exist between the NE Avalon municipalities.

Source: The Telegram, Sept 19, 2012
I was JUST about to post that hahaha you bet me to it

Looks like the lines are getting blurrier (to an extreme if a subdivision is in st. john's but they pay paradise to service it through taxes and only access is through paradise hahah) I mean it's time for some form of regional entity soon ..

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 11:33 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I completely agree.

I doubt it would have made much of a difference in reality, but I like to think had the NE Avalon amalgamated prior to the economic boom, we would have enjoyed more comprehensive planning and smarter developments as opposed to urban sprawl.

Either way, the NE Avalon is one community in practice. It isn't fair that someone does everything but sleep in St. John's yet pays low taxes in Mount Pearl or Paradise and none to the City of St. John's. Meanwhile, residents of St. John's pay higher taxes to keep up the city we all share.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 11:40 AM

You know what? I think someone needs to have a drive around the west end and mount pearl/ paradise (if adventerous CBS) to take some pictures of the developments happening in that end.. every time i drive through there is more happening..

I would but I'm never in that end of things and I'm not so great at taking pictures **hint hint Signalhillhiker**

but anyway there is quite a bit happening on Topsail like the highway crossing there and the condos near the movie theatre, as well as the condos at topsail/blackmarsh etc .. and I dont even know whats on the go in paradise and CBS everytime i'm there it's like they've built a new town lol

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
You know what? I think someone needs to have a drive around the west end and mount pearl/ paradise (if adventerous CBS) to take some pictures of the developments happening in that end.. every time i drive through there is more happening..

I would but I'm never in that end of things and I'm not so great at taking pictures **hint hint Signalhillhiker**

but anyway there is quite a bit happening on Topsail like the highway crossing there and the condos near the movie theatre, as well as the condos at topsail/blackmarsh etc .. and I dont even know whats on the go in paradise and CBS everytime i'm there it's like they've built a new town lol
Sounds like a plan; the next time I'm out around those areas I'll try to remember to snap a few pics. It's not going to be 'SignalHillHiker quality' though...

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

I completely agree.

I doubt it would have made much of a difference in reality, but I like to think had the NE Avalon amalgamated prior to the economic boom, we would have enjoyed more comprehensive planning and smarter developments as opposed to urban sprawl.

Either way, the NE Avalon is one community in practice. It isn't fair that someone does everything but sleep in St. John's yet pays low taxes in Mount Pearl or Paradise and none to the City of St. John's. Meanwhile, residents of St. John's pay higher taxes to keep up the city we all share.
People in the communities may not pay direct taxes to St. John's city hall but the city wouldn't have near the businesses and services without the neighboring communities.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 1:21 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

September 22, 2012

Brookfield at Topsail by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 4:55 PM

this condo buildings feels MUCH larger than I thought it would! I think it has to do with the grade of the land

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 10:18 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 10:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:

I completely agree.

Meh the avolon is turning into a mess.

Center city uses the excuse of having roads built hundred of years ago, yet the burbs are doing the same type of incompetence.

Stjohns is a bubble market, Ive heard from people making way more of a stake in it than I. Theres no sustainable future in these developments.

Its become a city of cars, yest this linear sprawl makes it impossible there to be descent roads. And the metrobus services are total garabage.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 10:32 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

You're right about linear sprawl. The shape of the city is a bit odd.

EDIT: As for the bubble... I think we have some unique circumstances that will help lessen the impact of any crash.

First, our economy isn't reliant on the housing market. The housing market is a result of the strong economy. Once the oil runs out, we're up **** creek... but that won't happen tomorrow. So our economy should carry the housing market relatively well compared to, for example, the States.

We also have a very high percentage of the population that is or is willing to go where the work is (Alberta, etc.) but still pay to maintain a residence in Newfoundland. Many workers, especially those who work seasonally on the mainland, spend as little as they can up there and bring almost all their money home. That would continue regardless of what happens to our housing market.

Is it crazy to think these factors would make a difference? I hope they would.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 10:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:

You're right about linear sprawl. The shape of the city is a bit odd.
I call it the outport model. Where they create endless outport sized communities that will never have the critical mass needed to support themselves. I got a feeling itll eventually span to clarenville, but I could be wrong I dont know many folk wanting to drive for 3 hours just to get to work.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 11:38 AM

Taken from main thread

Maybe Danny can take somepointer from developments like this for Glencrest (minus the cannals haha)

Quote:
An area presently used as a harbor will be transformed into a new residential space. It will be electrifying to see the development of the largest urban transformation project in Scandinavia. Cobe, Danish architects, has joined forces with Sleth Modernism, Polyform and Ramboll to convert Copenhagen’s northern harbor into a new Copenhagen neighborhood that will provide a living space for 40,000 residents.....

...Features greening the city:

The project that is presently under construction will take about 40 to 50 years of hard work to complete. Dubbed the “Nordholmene,” the islet will blend a holistic view with ecological sustainability. Special attention will be paid to energy, water and waste management. The developers will incorporate features such as geothermics, heat pumps for storing energy produced by local wind turbines and alternative energy sources. The alternative energy will come from sea lettuce, which is fast-growing algae that will absorb CO2 channeled from a nearby power plant, for producing heat, ethanol and electricity.

http://www.greendiary.com/nordholmen...able-city.html

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 1:02 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 5:23 PM

I'm excited for the team gushue extension to be completed. It'll certainly eliviate a mass of traffic through wyatt, commonwealth, and the upper half of kenmount rd heading to and from the southern shore. My only concern is the mess that'll be caused on the "lower" half of kenmount road with more people trying to get on the highway and the mess of extra traffic that will end up on the ORR (allandale) with more people going that way to get to the university/confed building/hospital/etc.. Thoughts?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwalsh View Post
I'm excited for the team gushue extension to be completed. It'll certainly eliviate a mass of traffic through wyatt, commonwealth, and the upper half of kenmount rd heading to and from the southern shore. My only concern is the mess that'll be caused on the "lower" half of kenmount road with more people trying to get on the highway and the mess of extra traffic that will end up on the ORR (allandale) with more people going that way to get to the university/confed building/hospital/etc.. Thoughts?
I honestly think the highway won't do much to alleviate traffic on Kenmount road. Maybe Columbus Drive. It's a great idea, but people in the city do tend to enjoy clogging up our over-capacity city streets over using the highway system.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 2:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I honestly think the highway won't do much to alleviate traffic on Kenmount road. Maybe Columbus Drive. It's a great idea, but people in the city do tend to enjoy clogging up our over-capacity city streets over using the highway system.
More roads just equals more cars. If the region spent 1/10th the amount of money getting people in the burbs to bus in this problem would change drastically.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 11:30 AM

I noticed some development going on in Paradise on Karwood, across the street from Paradise elementary. Does anyone know what will be going here?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 12:32 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

With our luck, another 500 single-family, detached houses.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:

With our luck, another 500 single-family, detached houses.
No, it's actually commercial units. Just wondering if anyone knew what was going in them?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 4:18 PM

It's probably just another strip mall like what along Topsail Road in Paradise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
No, it's actually commercial units. Just wondering if anyone knew what was going in them?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's