HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
^ Nice little buildings, but surrounded by a sea of asphalt. This is yet another car dependent development, the opposite of what should be built anywhere these days.
Located outside of Downtown, and immediately adjacent to the team gushue and the outer ring, of course it's going to be car dependent.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 1:06 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie View Post
Located outside of Downtown, and immediately adjacent to the team gushue and the outer ring, of course it's going to be car dependent.
Just saying ! I also noticed that the rendering doesn't match the site plan, and probably overemphasizes the size of the parking lots. However, they could build much more sq. footage on that amount of land (the FSR is probably only about 0.5); I think it is being underused. Aside from that, doesn't Kelsey Drive have some bus service though?

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Aside from that, doesn't Kelsey Drive have some bus service though?
Yes, there's a major bus stop near Wal Mart, with other bus stops long the street if I can recall the days were I depended on metrobus for everything.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 2:29 PM

New Affordable Housing Development in Capital

Quote:
A new 12-unit apartment building on Empire Avenue near Blackmarsh Road was opened yesterday. Housing Minister Tom Hedderson was joined by members of the Eastern Gate Church for a walk-through and tour.

Glenn Furlong of Canada Mortgage and Housing says it's part of a larger funding program for affordable housing across the country. Furlong says the federal government is spending $2 billion on affordable housing projects across the country in 2012.

11 of the units were cost-shared between the provincial and federal governments, with the 12th unit being paid for the by Eastern Gate Church, which is near the housing unit.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...22889&latest=1

I have no idea which one this is :S

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Just saying ! I also noticed that the rendering doesn't match the site plan, and probably overemphasizes the size of the parking lots. However, they could build much more sq. footage on that amount of land (the FSR is probably only about 0.5); I think it is being underused. Aside from that, doesn't Kelsey Drive have some bus service though?
Yeah, metrobus put a temporary stop next to it this week. I'd say when it gets built out (5 buildings) and if the two 4 storey buildings get going across the street from it, there would be a lot of people getting to and from the place.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 11:17 AM

Holy cow — Holyrood: Bypass road helps drive new potential, new growth

Source: The Telegram, May 7, 2012.

Quote:
Sharon Metcalfe is hoping to ride the tsunami of development expected to come her way.
Earlier this year, she bought The Pantry Bakery and Cafe and is anticipating success as the development boom that’s swept through the Northeast Avalon in recent years reaches this picturesque Conception Bay town.
“That’s the reason we sort of got into it, because we saw the potential of a growth area,” Metcalfe says.
The sights and sounds of growth are all around Holyrood — real estates signs, new homes, cleared lots, the buzz of heavy equipment, the roar of dump trucks, the “beep, beep, beep” of big rigs backing up.
Things are going forward at an unprecedented rate in the town of 2,100.
At a meeting last Tuesday, council dealt with nine applications for residential development, two for commercial garage extensions and one for a commercial development.
Those might not be big numbers in St. John’s or Paradise, but the figures are huge for Holyrood, considering the town issued just six building permits in all of 2002.
And there should be many more applications on the way. Permits will soon be sought for two subdivisions being developed, one with 60 homes and another with 40-plus.
Holyrood’s development dial is expected to be turned up a notch or two when an extension to the Conception Bay South Bypass Road opens this fall.
The road will be 2.8 kilometres away from Holyrood, making access to the capital region easier than ever.
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...ash-Holyrood/1

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 10:07 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post

The municipal boundaries of Holyrood actually cover quite a large area, going far south of the TCH. If it has enough suitable land it could contain a very large population. New highways tend to spur on much more sprawling growth, so Holyrood, being close enough for commuters in search of a more rural atmosphere and cheaper land, could see a large amount of growth in the future.

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...-in-Holyrood/1

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 10:53 PM
ハルウララ

That is insane sprawl.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 11:01 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHickman View Post
That is insane sprawl.
It's mostly wilderness, the town is actually just in the north area.
The driving distance is about a half hour, so it is close enough for commuting, but it's not part of the metro area.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 11:07 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
It's mostly wilderness, the town is actually just in the north area.
The driving distance is about a half hour, so it is close enough for commuting, but it's not part of the metro area.
I know that the area you highlighted are the boundaries of Holyrood. I was speaking more to the fact that Holyrood was experiencing sprawl from St. John's in the first place. I haven't been to Newfoundland in about five years, and in that time it seems to have changed a lot! I'm excited to see places like Holyrood, CBS, and others in the area grow, but sprawl to that extent is still rather impressive for Atlantic Canadian standards.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 11:12 PM

I've always considered Holyrood to be the cut off for what I would consider the St. John's area. I believe there's a large enough population base that commutes back and forth to the city each day for work. It's a nice neighbourhood community, but the endless sprawl is bound to catch up to it, just like it's taken over CBS. A highway extension in the area could help potential traffic problems that could arise if this were to happen.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 11:14 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Even areas in western Conception Bay (CBN) experience a better economy than the rest of the island from the spinoff.

BTW This shows the CMA.

I guess if Holyrood had enough commuter traffic it would be included in the future.

http://www23.statcan.gc.ca:81/imdb-b..._T9_V2-eng.htm

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 1:00 AM

I have a summer/weekend place in Harbour Main. The coastline from Holyrood to Cupids remains pretty quiet, as commuters/shoppers from CBN use Veterans Hwy and TCH. Amazing how much busier and developed the western extreme of CBS (all the way to Holyrood) has gotten in recent years. I sure hope the sprawl ends right there!

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 5:43 PM

Subdivision Approved, With Conditions

Quote:
The Town of CBS has approved a residential subdivision at the end of Smith's Place on Cherry Lane, but with a list of strict conditions. The area borders the Manuels River, and Mayor Woody French says they're extremely sensitive about the entire region.

French says the town wants to ensure there's no impact to the Manuels River, even though the subdivision falls within their municipal plan.

The restrictions include that purchasers must protect trees within the Open Space Conservation Zone and that everything in that zone remain in a natural state. The developers must build a trail, and the company must provide a bond for the restoration or replacement of any trees removed or damaged during construction.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...23388&latest=1

Opposition Grows to CBS Strip Club

Quote:
The Mayor of Conception Bay South says no application is before council, but rumours continue to swirl about the possibility of a strip club coming to the Foxtrap area. The rumours began following the sale of a bar in the area about a year ago. A local job website is seeking applications for a general manager for an 'Entertainment Complex' in CBS from the owners of Sirens, but a company spokesperson declined comment. The building in question was once "Bus Stop Pub" or "Vince's". It's located on the side of the main road in Foxtrap near many other businesses. Lorraine King works in the area and feels a strip club is not what Foxtrap needs.

King says she doesn't want to see or hear about a strip club on the main road in CBS because it's not the place for it. She says there are a lot of children in the area.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...23395&latest=1

Ok this is a bit silly... if you don't want children to go to the strip club then don't let them in hahahaha this is foolishness, if you don't want to go into the particular establishment then noone is forcing you to.

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
Subdivision Approved, With Conditions

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...23388&latest=1

Opposition Grows to CBS Strip Club

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...23395&latest=1

Ok this is a bit silly... if you don't want children to go to the strip club then don't let them in hahahaha this is foolishness, if you don't want to go into the particular establishment then noone is forcing you to.
Ha ha, I think some people have a misconception that strippers will be running around the streets of CBS half-naked! However, it does seem like an odd place to put a strip club.... but what do I know

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 6:54 PM

There are also a lot of children in downtown St. John's on any given day, let there are strip clubs, bars, and crude posters everywhere. It's a part of life. Not like a child will be able to stumble accidentally in to one of these places accidentally.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Even areas in western Conception Bay (CBN) experience a better economy than the rest of the island from the spinoff.

BTW This shows the CMA.

I guess if Holyrood had enough commuter traffic it would be included in the future.

http://www23.statcan.gc.ca:81/imdb-b..._T9_V2-eng.htm
Wow...Thirteen different municipalities in this region with just shy of 200,000 people. That seems insane to me, think of all the councils/mayors for this relatively small number of people. Am I wrong in saying this is crazy?

Edit: I originally said 13 but it's 14 if you count Holyrood. Either way, pretty crazy.

Last edited by J_Murphy; May 30, 2012 at 5:39 PM.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Wow...Thirteen different municipalities in this region with just shy of 200,000 people. That seems insane to me, think of all the councils/mayors for this relatively small number of people. Am I wrong in saying this is crazy?
I think you are 100% on the money by calling this crazy. Eastern Health just reported all of their inefficiencies..... just imagine how inefficient this system is!

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 3:37 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
No, you're absolutely right. It is outrageous. However, if you float the concept of merging any of these towns, the side getting the "city end of the stick" is always up in arms and opposed, whether it makes sense for the greater good or not.

Look at people in Mount Pearl when you point out that they should be amalgamated. That's one of my personal pet peeves. Work in St. John's, eat in St. John's, party in St. John's, drive in St. John's, but heaven forbid you pay taxes in line with the people of St. John's.

That being said, any time the idea of St. John's taking up responsibility for infrastructure in some of the smaller communities, the city gets up in arms too. As I said, its not about what makes sense, its about how loud the opposition is. The system may be inefficient, but its also the status quo, and no one is willing to step on toes in order to change it.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 11:01 AM

City Approves Huge Development Near Southlands

Quote:
It's another step forward for Dannyland. The city has approved development above the 190-metre contour with a view towards future growth. Former Premier Danny Williams is behind a huge residential and commercial project in the area near Southlands that will rival the size of Gander. Council approved amendments to the Municipal Plan and Development Regulations to allow building in the higher elevations. Development west of Southlands and both sides of Kenmount Road near the Mount Pearl city limits will require significant improvement to infrastructure. There are no applications for development in those areas currently before council.

Councillor Tom Hann says he is pleased that the plan is finally coming to fruition. Hann calls it an important step toward the future. He says it also gives council the opportunity to plan a community by strategically putting residents and neighbourhoods in the forefront.
This is a step forward, hopefully the kenmount hill area is developed in a smart way, it has potential to keep the growth in the middle of the metro area instead of stretching out as much.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's