HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Aug 31, 2012, 2:14 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I like the east end as well. It's nice to have a little cluster of larger, taller buildings developing there. I always notice flying into Toronto: "Hey, that little cluster there is bigger than our skyline...", "Hey, that little cluster over there looks good..."

There's something about having a couple of little clusters in the suburbs that makes the city seem larger. And it's also, of course, a positive sign of denser development.

A couple more photos, closer this time:

Pleasantville

Pleasantville by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Pleasantville by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 31, 2012, 3:07 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The future site of Tiffany Towers:

Tiffany Towers Site by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

The Confederation Building Re-Clad:

Confederation Building Re-Clad by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

I normally have a pretty big hate on for buildings like Elizabeth Towers but, viewed from Signal Hill, I've always loved the building. It looks so cute and inviting, like a hug.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 1:23 AM

Looked today like they are getting ready to uncover a new section of the confederation building. The white plastic covering was gone and what was left behind the scaffolding looked complete

(if you look at SignalHillHiker's picture above, it's the large covered section on the front and to the right)

Can't wait for this to be finished! They've been working on it for at least several years and seem to be getting nowhere.. Guess that's St. John's construction for you!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 2:27 AM

Yeah, they've been taking their time on that reclad, but it's going to look much better once it's all done. I think they're also simultaneously working on parts of the back as well

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 1:20 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 7:16 PM

What's the deal with all the land cleared across the street from the entrance to the airport? I believe it is a new subdivision, but does anyone have any details for this area?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
What's the deal with all the land cleared across the street from the entrance to the airport? I believe it is a new subdivision, but does anyone have any details for this area?
This was discussed (and approved) at the Planning & Housing Standing Committee on Sept 25. Here's the details:

Quote:
Roncalli Ridge Development – Stage 1 (developer – Southcott Homes Limited)

This thirty-seven (37) lot residential development is located off Portugal Cove
Road opposite Craig Dobbin’s Way. The suggested street names for this subdivision are in keeping with the aviation/airplane theme & are listed as follows:
Street “A” – SEMINOLE DRIVE
Street “B” – CARAVELLE PLACE
Street “C” – LEGACY PLACE
Here's a link to the rest of the document. It's actually appended to the Sept 24 city council meeting minutes:

http://www.stjohns.ca/upload/agendas...tober12012.pdf

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 11:34 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

October 1, 2012

Development in Pleasantville by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 11:45 AM

There's a huge lot of land to the right of the new senior's complex. That'd be a prime spot for some condo development. As well, looks as if the new apartment building is coming along.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
There's a huge lot of land to the right of the new senior's complex. That'd be a prime spot for some condo development. As well, looks as if the new apartment building is coming along.
That's where the Janeway use to be, I beleive the soil is contaminated... I'm not sure if they cleaned it up or not, either way it is owned by the Provincial Government therefore hard to get ahold of unfortunatly ... though I do agree with you that it is a prime place for condos (tall ones)

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
That's where the Janeway use to be, I beleive the soil is contaminated... I'm not sure if they cleaned it up or not, either way it is owned by the Provincial Government therefore hard to get ahold of unfortunatly ... though I do agree with you that it is a prime place for condos (tall ones)
Ah yes, makes sense. That would be a difficult spot to get approval for development (although a prime spot nonetheless).

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 11:54 AM

I drove down East White Hills Road yesterday and noticed there is a lot of activity going on down there. There is a huge new warehouse erected between Robin Hood Bay road and EWH Road, a new road off of EWH that will have several industrial building lots and there is a huge area of land cleared across from the PF Collins building. Good to see some industrial development in the city.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 4:26 PM

Also, I read on the VOCM twitter feed that the proposal to redevelop Virginia Park Plaza on Newfoundland Drive will include two 5-storey buildings, 252 apartments, and a small 2 storey commercial building.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Ah yes, makes sense. That would be a difficult spot to get approval for development (although a prime spot nonetheless).
There was some talk about a year or so ago that the old janeway site was under consideration as the site for a new east end school. Haven't heard anything on it lately and I don't know if a decision was ever made.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackiedog View Post
There was some talk about a year or so ago that the old janeway site was under consideration as the site for a new east end school. Haven't heard anything on it lately and I don't know if a decision was ever made.
As was previously stated, I think that site has been ruled out due to contaminated soil and liability associated with cleaning it up. I believe they are also considering using the same site as the current school for the development of a new one. I don't think this has been decided yet though.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 4:01 PM

Here is a link to VOCM story on the new Wedgewood Park Recreation Centre concepts with photos and layouts of the plans.

http://vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=27212&latest=1

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 7:01 PM

Have anyone heard any recent news on the former dominion location on Newfoundland Drive? It's location has been dormant for a very long time.. I'm very surprised nothing has been put in there seeing how its so close to so many people in the east end.

The save-easy building in Churchill Square is still dormant as well, isn't it. I don't know what loblaws plans to do with their abandoned buildings, but if they aren't going to do anything with them, they should be sold!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 7:04 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I thought that Dominion was holding and refusing to sell it so that no competitors could come in?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 7:10 PM

I believe the same was true with the Churchill Square building, and I haven't heard of either properties being restored. If they aren't going to use these properties, I wonder why they won't sell them. I understand they don't want their competitors moving in, but if they get enough money for the property, they shouldn't care.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
I believe the same was true with the Churchill Square building, and I haven't heard of either properties being restored. If they aren't going to use these properties, I wonder why they won't sell them. I understand they don't want their competitors moving in, but if they get enough money for the property, they shouldn't care.
I believe this has been discussed here a while back, not sure this thread or the main SJ. There was a story written about it as well:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...acant-527.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's