HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 4:35 PM

The used car dealership onside of Dominion on Stavanger is being torn down, I don't know what the deal with that is because the building isn't very old.

As well, I've seen Banana Republic's in big box store developments in other cities but I can't remember ever seeing a Gap by itself. However, seeing it says Gap on the Remax page it probably is the Gap and not Banana Republic.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
The used car dealership onside of Dominion on Stavanger is being torn down, I don't know what the deal with that is because the building isn't very old.

As well, I've seen Banana Republic's in big box store developments in other cities but I can't remember ever seeing a Gap by itself. However, seeing it says Gap on the Remax page it probably is the Gap and not Banana Republic.
Yeah, it's probably is just another GAP... but you never know! As for the car dealership being torn down, apparently a new TD bank will be built there as discussed at city council meeting on April 2 (link below for your reading enjoyment).

http://www.stjohns.ca/upload/minutes...April22012.pdf

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 6:31 PM

Quote:

Starting to think all of this warrants a separate St. John's Retail thread.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Starting to think all of this warrants a separate St. John's Retail thread.
That's a good idea. Moncton has a retail thread that's very active. I think a retail thread for St. John's would be very active as well.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 2:55 AM

That would be a great idea. It could encompass all retail, including the many stores of downtown, both current and upcoming (there honestly seems to be a new coffee shop/espresso bar downtown every week)

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 2:26 AM

Was down on Stavanger Drive today and noticed they have finally cleared all of the land next to Boston Pizza. I think that's where the Hampton Inn is scheduled to go.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 1:00 PM

Quidi Vidi Condos in the Works

Source: VOCM, April 23 2012

Quote:
Another major real estate development is in the works for the metro region, near Quidi Vidi Lake. Developer Bill Clarke, Owner of Powder House Hill Investments, says this 12-million dollar development will see the construction of 24 high end condominium units. However, it must first be approved by city council. They will be located at the end of the Lake entering Quidi Vidi village. Clarke is donating a large portion of the site to the City of St. John's and Quidi Vidi organizations for open space. He explains this will help ensure protection of the land surrounding Quidi Vidi Lake. Clarke points out this is the last segment of land the city does not own surrounding the lake. He is also a major player in a 20-million dollar 52 luxury condominium development at the corner of Brookfield Road and Topsail Road.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...22613&latest=1

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 2:57 PM

Between the oil tanks and Country Ribbon it should be lovely. The Quidi Vidi Villagers will kick up a fuss about this, they didn't want Pleasantville developed.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Between the oil tanks and Country Ribbon it should be lovely. The Quidi Vidi Villagers will kick up a fuss about this, they didn't want Pleasantville developed.
Yup, the developers will definitely have a battle on their hands!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 11:45 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I believe this was also mentioned a few months ago, and it will be on the south side of the lake.

They won't have any trouble selling condos at this location, they could build a much larger highrise and I'm sure it would still sell out.

Last edited by Architype; Apr 23, 2012 at 11:55 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 11:59 PM

I thought it seemed a bit weird that it'd be between the oil tanks and country ribbon but I couldn't figure it'd be.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 1:09 AM

I know I'd love to pay top dollar to live near Country Ribbon. That smell when the chickens are killed is worth a million bucks.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 11:24 PM

I was up around Stavanger yesterday and noticed the area behind Boston Pizza has been cleared for the new Hampton hotel. Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem like a whole lot of room to put a hotel and ample parking spaces.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 4:46 AM

Here's the LUAR for the condo in Quidi Vidi, does not look good in my opinion.

http://www.stjohns.ca/pdfs/Aerial%20...idi%20Vidi.pdf

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:

It looks like another run-of-the-mill, status quo condo project for St. John's. Every time I see projects like these I keep telling myself, "I can't wait for Henry-Bell development to be completed so it can set a new precedent for condo development in this city".

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 9:30 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:

Source: Luar

This one suffers from "front and back architecture"; the render above shows the "back". The front which is facing the lake and parking lot has received all the design attention while the back and sides are a plain unbroken facade with tiny windows and will look like an awful housing project from the seventies. Unfortunately, the "back" is also facing Quidi Vidi Village and the road. It has a plain unbroken facade with very small windows; the ends which actually face the road and village are also like this. This needs some tweaking like breaking up the facades, making the windows a different shape, adding some gabled offsets or maybe some balconies, or some other creative idea. The alluding to a fortress here just doesn't work very well.

Last edited by Architype; May 5, 2012 at 9:56 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I was up around Stavanger yesterday and noticed the area behind Boston Pizza has been cleared for the new Hampton hotel. Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem like a whole lot of room to put a hotel and ample parking spaces.
St. John's parking requirement for Hotels is one space for three rooms, which is crazy low if you ask me.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 4:49 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Here's the front side of the Quidi Vidi Condos, facing west and the lake.

From Luar: http://www.stjohns.ca/pdfs/Aerial%20...idi%20Vidi.pdf

This side looks much better, but because of the hill, it appears only the two top floors will be visible from the lake.

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 7:29 PM

Field Power Center

I drove down Torbay Road today and it looks like site work has started on the Field Power Center.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 9:03 PM

Quidi Vidi condo proposal gets rough ride

Source: CBC,May 18, 2012

Quote:
Proponent sympathetic to traffic concerns of residents
Quote:
A plan to put a five-storey condominium complex in Quidi Vidi Village attracted much criticism and little praise at a public hearing in St. John's.

Powderhouse Hill Investments wants to put a 24-unit building on land that developer Bill Clarke owns off Forest Road, just at the entrance to the village, a centuries-old enclave that is known for exceptionally narrow streets and a cosy feel.

"This development adds nothing to Quidi Vidi Village," said Bernadette Arsenault, one of more than a dozen people who spoke at the meeting at St. John's City Hall.

Many of the concerns were about parking and traffic, and what the development may mean for the skyline and heritage look of the neighbourhood.

Michael Mallard said the proposal would be an eyesore.

"I think the look of the building, or any apartment building of that size, down in that area, is going to look stupid," he said.

Architect Dick Cook, who is working with the proponent, told CBC News that the proponents agree with residents who are worried about the impact on traffic loads.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...eting-518.html

The Nimby's were out in full force for this public meeting. Although, part of me sympathizes with the residents since this development is very blah!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's