HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 2:05 PM

[St. John's] Fortis | 49m | 12 floors | U/C

Fortis Place - Completed

Quote:
FORTIS PROPERTIES PROPOSES OFFICE BUILDING FOR WEST END OF DOWNTOWN

Fortis Properties Corporation announced today its submission of a development application to the City of St. John’s for the construction of a 12-storey, Class A office building at the corner bounded by Springdale Street, New Gower Street and Hamilton Avenue Extension, also known as the former Horwood Lumber site. This site is designated by the city’s Municipal Plan as an area allowing for additional building height to 12-storeys.

“This is an exciting growth opportunity for our Company, while adding much-needed Class A office space to the St. John’s market,” said Nora Duke, President and Chief Executive Officer. “This development offers the opportunity to further revitalize the west end of the downtown and will provide tenants a signature office environment in which to operate.”

The $50 million project will feature 145,000 square feet of Class A office space and include 183 parking spaces in line with municipal requirements. The building will be constructed to environmental and energy efficient standards and will exceed the Model National Energy Code for Buildings.
http://www.fortisproperties.com/en/h...pril42011.aspx

Land Use Assessment Report: http://www.stjohns.ca/pdfs/Horwood%2...ic%20Study.pdf

View Plane Analysis: http://www.stjohns.ca/pdfs/Fortis%20...%20%202011.pdf

Official Website:
http://www.fortisplace.com

Height: 49m
Fact: Fortis proposed this 12-storey office tower in west downtown after withdrawing a former proposal to develop a 15-storey office tower adjacent to their current office tower on Water Street. The development would have been the tallest building downtown, and would have required the demolition of several heritage properties. Fortis withdrew this proposal after much public outcry.

Last edited by Marty_Mcfly; Feb 18, 2019 at 1:48 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 10:04 PM

So far, so good! Hopefully this thread will be populated with progress pics very soon

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 1:59 PM

Just saw an article posted on Happy city's facebook page which includes info about the fortis building

Quote:
...With Sheppard Case, Cave was involved in several projects in St. John’s eyeing LEED. Fortis Place, a 12-storey office tower currently under construction, is aiming for certification with ground source heating, energy-efficient lighting and sensors, electric vehicle charging stations, recycled materials, a green roof and high-performance building envelope, and plumbing fixtures that stand to reduce water use by more than a third...
http://dcnonl.com/article/id49317/--...n-newfoundland

and a cool more detailed rendition of the building

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
Just saw an article posted on Happy city's facebook page which includes info about the fortis building

and a cool more detailed rendition of the building
I was just getting ready to post that.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
I was just getting ready to post that.
I just read the article that was posted on jeddy1989's thread. It's great to see that developers in this province are focusing on LEED and other environmentally sound standards for their projects. I hope this trend continues for future developments.

BTW - looking at the picture above, I'm really liking the look of this building more and more!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 12:01 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I noticed the article mentions that the building is being called "Fortis Place".

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 2:15 AM

Nice new image. I'll edit the image in the main post as soon as I get my laptop back from the shop. Fortis Place may be that iconic building downtown, much like Purdy's Wharf is in Halifax.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 11:31 PM

Drove by Fortis today and it was looking good, there is a huge hole onside of where the structure is being built.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 12:54 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

How deep is the pit supposed to be?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 1:02 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Nice new image. I'll edit the image in the main post as soon as I get my laptop back from the shop. Fortis Place may be that iconic building downtown, much like Purdy's Wharf is in Halifax.
Probably not as iconic as Purdys, since those are twins and tallest, and prominently right on the water, but Fortis will be unique. It has a number of things that make it different, like having two cores for elevators instead of one, also the prominent use of wood on the cores, etc., which will give it a rather unique appearance.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 5:43 PM

Here's a picture of the construction site I took today from the other side of the street, there is also a HUGE hole next to the foundation

See the hole to the left with the tops of the tractor and crane sticking up

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 6:18 PM

I was just going to mention the HUGE hole, I don't know what the deal with it is. I was down that way earlier the week and they were digging into rock. It's away from the construction but I guess it could be part of the parking garage?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 8:13 PM
ハルウララ

I think a photo taken from Water or Springdale is incredibly called for at this point.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 12:02 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
I was just going to mention the HUGE hole, I don't know what the deal with it is. I was down that way earlier the week and they were digging into rock. It's away from the construction but I guess it could be part of the parking garage?

The parking garage will cover a much larger area of the site than the actual office building. I think they are using geothermal as well; that, or services could account for the hole unless it is part of the parking or foundation?

^ Nice to see some progress, and great pics.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 5:12 AM
ARTchitecture

Two skyline changers UC at the same time! Great work St. John's!!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Two skyline changers UC at the same time! Great work St. John's!!
With a third (Deacon Investments building) hopefully to be started sometime this spring/summer!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 9:33 PM

It's really too bad that this building wasn't a few stories higher. Fortis Place, 351 Water, the Fortis Building, the Delta, John Cabot I and II, and the Scotia Building are all almost the same height. It'd be nice if we had a little differentiation in the height of our buildings. It would create a lot more interest in the skyline.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 12:50 AM

Agreed, the illusion of a level ceiling isn't very appealing. Deacon investments is a nice, shorter building that'll help with that, however a few taller buildings wouldn't hurt as well. Nothing huge that would be out of line compared to the others, but maybe something between 60-70m in the area around the convention center (Ultramar location anyone?) would help that problem significantly

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 2:44 AM

I guess the one saving grace downtown is John Cabot II which is only marginally taller than the other buildings but, because of its placement on a hill, gives the illusion of being significantly taller (by Newfoundland standards).

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnotout View Post
It's really too bad that this building wasn't a few stories higher. Fortis Place, 351 Water, the Fortis Building, the Delta, John Cabot I and II, and the Scotia Building are all almost the same height. It'd be nice if we had a little differentiation in the height of our buildings. It would create a lot more interest in the skyline.
I agree as well, I think a building around the 65m range would compliment the skyline of that area. That height would be tall enough to create an aesthetically pleasing contrast, but yet not so tall as to stick out like a sore thumb.

I wonder what the demand for class A office space will be once Fortis, along with Deacon and 351 Water, are built? These projects may cool down the demand.... I guess that remains to be seen. However, I too am interested in what will be connected to the new convention centre where Ultramar is currently located????

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's