HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
The only thing that would've been better was the old Parliament proposed for exactly the same site (but never built). White stone, modest size but ornate... it was truly spectacular.
I've never heard of such a proposal before, but it sounds really interesting! Do you know where I could find pictures / more information about it?

Thanks!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 1:54 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
The old building here beside the National War Memorial between Water and Duckworth streets burned down - a true tragedy.

And now we have a proposal...

That would be difficult to pull off in a convincing way, normally it would not be done with reflective glass, because it's not 1980 anymore. A little more detail and texture, and consideration, would be better.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla77 View Post
Already seeing complaints online about this plan from heritage advocates. Don't think its going to go anywhere honestly. Personally I don't hate it and its better than what's there now. One thing we don't need is another museum.
I think anything's better than what's (not) there now, but nothing wrong with another small museum.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPKE View Post
I think anything's better than what's (not) there now, but nothing wrong with another small museum.
I love museums but there are over 160 small and large museums and historic sites in this province. Many of them are struggle to keep their doors open year after year and have small visitor bases. The Rooms has a great exhibit about the First World War including the war memorial. I think the inclusion of the museum part is pandering to the heritage community to get their support.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE View Post
There is a rather large structure currently going up right in front of the Verafin building. No idea what it is.
It's a parking garage.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 2:49 PM

New Subdivision Extension off Heavy Tree Rd.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 2:27 PM

Wooden Highrises

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
I like wood construction, but for large scale structures though?
Fire would be a concern, IMO, no matter how resistant they claim materials to be.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...s-nl-1.5443382

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 4:48 PM

Fountains in St. John's

I asked this in a response concerning The Village on the Galway thread but,

Why can't fountains survive in St. John's?
Any development that has had one as a centrepiece, has eliminated them.
i.e. Avalon Mall, Village

We also have had some lovely outdoor examples such as The Colonial Building fountain which existed for years with coloured lighting.

There was also one in Long Pond on PPD, with coloured lighting.

I can see the outdoor ones being problematic in our climate, altho' the CB one was on the go for a long while. I remember it as a kid, and I'm talking back in the early 60's; but the Mall examples are a mystery. The Village in particular had a spectacular example that reached up to the 2nd level.

Anyone got info?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 11:20 AM

My guess is that it cost so much to maintain them. Pipes, plumbing, cleaning etc. Just probably cheaper to not have one at all.

Quote:
I asked this in a response concerning The Village on the Galway thread but,

Why can't fountains survive in St. John's?
Any development that has had one as a centrepiece, has eliminated them.
i.e. Avalon Mall, Village

We also have had some lovely outdoor examples such as The Colonial Building fountain which existed for years with coloured lighting.

There was also one in Long Pond on PPD, with coloured lighting.

I can see the outdoor ones being problematic in our climate, altho' the CB one was on the go for a long while. I remember it as a kid, and I'm talking back in the early 60's; but the Mall examples are a mystery. The Village in particular had a spectacular example that reached up to the 2nd level.

Anyone got info?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 11:16 PM

O'Neil Dealership Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Here’s a link to a document from the city of Mount Pearl showing some renderings of what the new dealership might look like.
https://www.mountpearl.ca/wp-content...itage-Info.pdf
I guess I haven't driven on Topsail Road in a while.
It was just today that I noticed the new O'Neil Nissan dealership site preparation is underway.
I didn't realize that it had started. Quite a bit of excavation has taken place - unfortunately I didn't have time to size it up further.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
I guess I haven't driven on Topsail Road in a while.
It was just today that I noticed the new O'Neil Nissan dealership site preparation is underway.
I didn't realize that it had started. Quite a bit of excavation has taken place - unfortunately I didn't have time to size it up further.
Been underway since last summer. Think they are ready for the footings soon when it warms.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 2:16 PM

Water Main Turbines

Interesting solution.

https://returntonow.net/2020/02/20/p...e-electricity/

... of course, WE are not exactly shy of electricity

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Would this work with our abundant fresh water supplies and pressure?

https://returntonow.net/2020/02/20/p...e-electricity/

... of course, we're not exactly shy of electricity
Interesting idea. I hate the headline though, cause there is no such thing as "free" electricity.

I wonder how many you would need to install in order to create a substantial amount of power? That also raises the question as to what these would do on the pressure in the pipes as these would create some drag? Would you need to increase the power at the pumps at the water treatment facilities in order to maintain adequate pressure?

At the end of the day, it will never happen here because Nalcor are not interested in any other sources of electricity except for muskrat.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 11:44 AM

http://www.stjohns.ca/media-release/...roject-proceed

Quote:
The Water Street construction project between Ayre’s Cove and Clift’s Baird’s Cove will proceed as scheduled from April to June 2020, with a start date of April 6.

Occupational Health and Safety measures will be implemented based on the latest guidelines recommended for COVID-19.

Property owners and business owners in the construction area can contact the Water Street Business Liaison with questions or concerns.

A traffic detour will begin on Monday, April 6 and section of Water Street (Bishop’s Cove to Clift’s Baird’s Cove) will be converted to one-way for eastbound traffic
At first I thought it may be a bad idea to proceed with this this year. But thinking about it, it's probably the best time to do it.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2020, 1:53 PM

I don't know if this is the correct place to post this question, but does anyone know why the times of the posts are wrong? I suspect this is a timezone setting? Does anyone know how to fix this? No big deal, just a bit annoying!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2020, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
I don't know if this is the correct place to post this question, but does anyone know why the times of the posts are wrong? I suspect this is a timezone setting? Does anyone know how to fix this? No big deal, just a bit annoying!
It shows the wrong timestamps when I am not logged in. Right timestamps when I am.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2020, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
When you're logged into your account click on the "User CP" on the top header of the website. Then the time zone settings should be under "Edit Options".

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 1:50 PM

Construction fences are up in Churchill Square around the old Dominion location. So looks as though that project is getting ready to start.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 10:08 AM

Well, the Atlantic Place Parkade Hotel has finally been approved. Finally gonna see some major changes to that old parking garage on the waterfront. Whether you love it or hate it, it will be iconic for sure. I’m glad it got approved.
https://vocm.com/2020/05/12/ap-parki...e-development/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's