HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
The roundabouts weren't big to begin with - seen numerous people crossing over into other lane as they make their way through. I haven't been by there in a couple of weeks - can only imagine the scene now, probably closer to one lane.
Even without snow you can't navigate the double lanes with confidence. People are continuously drifting back and forth between lanes!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 6:39 PM

Starbucks in Galway is open.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 5:55 PM

Steel

Up to Costco today, they are putting roofs over the cart corrals.
Steel going up for new building to the north of Costco, I didn't go over by it but is it Princess Auto?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 6:55 PM

Does anyone know when Michaels is opening?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkmw View Post
Does anyone know when Michaels is opening?
According to a staff member at the Stavanger Drive store, the new store will open in a month or so. Said the new location will be smaller that their current one and Stavanger will be their main store. Going to be nice to have a location at each end of the city. 😃

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 12:15 AM

Dagwood's has been added to the Shoppes at Galway website. A sandwich and salad place that so far only has locations in Quebec.

http://dagwoods.ca/

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDMusic View Post
Dagwood's has been added to the Shoppes at Galway website. A sandwich and salad place that so far only has locations in Quebec.

http://dagwoods.ca/

Dagwoods is good. I had them in Montreal a few years ago. Just glad something NEW is coming. Tired of the same old stores/restaurants coming here.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djslue View Post
Dagwoods is good. I had them in Montreal a few years ago. Just glad something NEW is coming. Tired of the same old stores/restaurants coming here.
Menu looks meh.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 1:34 AM

Would have to agree. Standard sub shop. Yay.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 2:01 AM

I think a Jungle Jims would be good out there

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 2:08 PM

Movement in Southlands to Join Mt. Pearl

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
Pretty sure this happens every year. It will die down once the snow is gone. It's just frustration with snowclearing. Has anyone formed a #sexit group on facebook yet? lol

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Pretty sure this happens every year. It will die down once the snow is gone. It's just frustration with snowclearing. Has anyone formed a #sexit group on facebook yet? lol

Why does Mount Pearl even exist? This was just a political move. The govt actually had to award Donovan's Industrial Park to Mount Pearl so it would meet the criteria to be a city, because it has essentially no industrial base! So it became a land locked municipality, surrounded by the capital city. Hopefully one day there will be someone with enough guts to deal with this situation. Make it part of St. John's, which it is anyway. Instead of complaining about St. John's all the time, people in Mount Pearl should be thankful, and recognize their parasitic existence and stop wasting the provinces time and money.

I said it; many are thinking it.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
Why does Mount Pearl even exist? This was just a political move. The govt actually had to award Donovan's Industrial Park to Mount Pearl so it would meet the criteria to be a city, because it has essentially no industrial base! So it became a land locked municipality, surrounded by the capital city. Hopefully one day there will be someone with enough guts to deal with this situation. Make it part of St. John's, which it is anyway. Instead of complaining about St. John's all the time, people in Mount Pearl should be thankful, and recognize their parasitic existence and stop wasting the provinces time and money.

I said it; many are thinking it.
Many in the NE Avalon say it as well, except Pearlians and MHAs.
The past SOE debacle during the storm, showed how dysfunctional the greater metro area is.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
Many in the NE Avalon say it as well, except Pearlians and MHAs.
The past SOE debacle during the storm, showed how dysfunctional the greater metro area is.
If anyone needed any further proof of the need for amalgamation this was it.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
If anyone needed any further proof of the need for amalgamation this was it.
NE Avalon does not have to re-invent the wheel with amalgamation. Other major cities (Toronto, Halifax) have done it in recent past and no doubt dealt with issues resulting from the change. So send a delegation to Halifax to discuss those issues so it can be implemented as correct as possible here!

I live in CBS and would have much rather seen my tax dollars spent on a Community Rec Center than new Town Hall. My property tax may go up initially but if I get the services I need because systems in place are more efficient, they may go down. Don't have any issue living in CBS region of St. John's Metro...

Last edited by Tocchet22; Feb 6, 2020 at 1:39 PM. Reason: Moved to proper thread

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 2:56 PM

Has anyone heard that Sportschek is moving out of the village into Galway? Also heard the Stavanger Drive location is moving into the Avalon Mall.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Has anyone heard that Sportschek is moving out of the village into Galway? Also heard the Stavanger Drive location is moving into the Avalon Mall.
What's going on with The Village?
I can see a call centre going there soon.

... and on a separate tho' related note, why can't fountains exist in St. John's?

Any development that has had one, has shut them down, but they still exist in other cities.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 5:08 PM

Quote:
I haven't but someone else wrote in the Avalon Mall thread that they heard the Village location was moving to the Avalon Mall.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 6:33 PM

Quote:

Apparently Stavanger location is staying where it is, and the Village location is moving to the Avalon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's