HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 4:12 PM

Electric Vehicle Charging Stations Planned

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
This will do very little to help in my opinion. The city seems to like roundabouts as of late.....and this is actually a place where there is room to build them. Traffic would be able to flow without stopping for extended periods.
In speaking to someone from the city (in the second half of 2018) the city was in the planning stages for roundabouts at Goldstone/Kelsey and TGH. Don't know if this is still being planned. Maybe the lane changes were to alleviate the congestion while they wait for money to get them built.

Speaking out roundabouts and TGH - they need one at Old Pennywell and Brier Avenue!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightFury View Post
In speaking to someone from the city (in the second half of 2018) the city was in the planning stages for roundabouts at Goldstone/Kelsey and TGH. Don't know if this is still being planned. Maybe the lane changes were to alleviate the congestion while they wait for money to get them built.

Speaking out roundabouts and TGH - they need one at Old Pennywell and Brier Avenue!
That'd be a welcoming sight. That area is very congestion during commuting hours. I don't normally drive in that area but I'm wondering if the lane re-alignment has alleviated some of the issue?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 5:34 PM

New Road Map for Public Transit

Source: CBC NL
Date: Nov 6, 2019

Quote:
Free rides for children under 12, a U-Pass system for university students, and route changes are some of the key recommendations of a public transit review commissioned by the City of St. John's.

A report released Wednesday on problems with the city's public transit — Metrobus and GoBus — offered several ways to improve ridership.

"Travel behaviours will not change unless Metrobus provides a service that is more convenient and reduces travel time," said the report, by Canadian firm Dillon Consulting.

The review's recommendations include:

Developing a transit outreach program for youth.
Implementing a student pass program.
Offering free rides for students under the age of 12.
Targeting high school and post-secondary students.
Continuing the discussion with Memorial about a U-Pass system. Earlier this year, MUN students rejected a proposal for a mandatory fee that would provide all students with bus passes.
Investing in a frequent transit network of routes that connect key destinations.
Implementing a low-income fare pilot program.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...view-1.5350736

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 11:37 PM

I haven't had a chance to read the report yet so I really can't offer much of an opinion on any recommendations however I will chip in my 2 cents worth, I would like to see a costing of the implementation plans. Can the City, or more to the point, we the tax payers, afford any higher subsidies for Metrobus?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 2:52 PM

Councillor Calls for PPD/Allandale Roundabout Soon

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 2:41 PM

They'll also need to do something about the intersection where Strawberry Marsh Road meets Allandale. It's already dangerous, and allowing for more free flowing traffic 100 meters away isn't going to make it less so.

Or perhaps the new reality might influence drivers to stop trying left turns there...

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Engine View Post
They'll also need to do something about the intersection where Strawberry Marsh Road meets Allandale. It's already dangerous, and allowing for more free flowing traffic 100 meters away isn't going to make it less so.

Or perhaps the new reality might influence drivers to stop trying left turns there...
Agree. That's been a real problem there for a long time.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
Agree. That's been a real problem there for a long time.

I work in the area and see many accidents on that intersection. More than on the main intersection actually. People are turning left onto Strawberry Marsh and the first lane of traffic lets them through and they don't check the outside lane where people are turning right onto the parkway. Honestly I'm surprised they didn't block it off years ago and have people enter that area via Elizabeth Avenue.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 3:43 PM

Quote:

But see that's the beauty of roundabouts...also work in effect as a legal u-turn. So really no need to make a left there when you can make a right and then just spin around in the roundabout...

This is why roads like Kenmount could really use a roundabout or two to start cutting down on people attempting these dangerous left hand turns...

Roundabouts keep traffic flowing, allow you to change direction easily, force drivers to slow down and pay attention. Just so much better and safe in my opinion especially compared to large intersections. The only real challenge is for pedestrians.

Edit: Realizing that you may be referring to making a left from Allandale on to Strawberry Marsh and not vice versa like I thought... so ignore my comment if so...

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
But see that's the beauty of roundabouts...also work in effect as a legal u-turn. So really no need to make a left there when you can make a right and then just spin around in the roundabout...

This is why roads like Kenmount could really use a roundabout or two to start cutting down on people attempting these dangerous left hand turns...

Roundabouts keep traffic flowing, allow you to change direction easily, force drivers to slow down and pay attention. Just so much better and safe in my opinion especially compared to large intersections. The only real challenge is for pedestrians.

Edit: Realizing that you may be referring to making a left from Allandale on to Strawberry Marsh and not vice versa like I thought... so ignore my comment if so...
The one big glaring problem with a roundabout at that location, are the pedestrian crossings. Last blurb from council was that they will not implement over or under crosswalks there. Imagine a roundabout (like Galway's) with two lanes, and crosswalks across each inlet. Not pretty, especially considering the pedestrian traffic in that area.

Last edited by jjavman; Nov 28, 2019 at 3:09 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Yeah, you're absolutely right about all that - like anything, it's human behaviour that has to catch up. In this case, maybe "doing something about Strawberry Marsh Road" is just disallowing left turns and letting people figure out those legal U-turns themselves.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 2:10 PM

Quote:

I was referring to making a left turn from Allandale to Strawberry Marsh. You can't (or aren't supposed to anyways) make a left from Strawberry Marsh onto Allandale. You can only turn right there. It does get sticky on the right turns as well as people are trying to turn right off of Strawberry Marsg into the turning lane on Allandale so they can then get onto the Parkway - turning across 2 lanes of traffic. My opinion with that intersection would be to extend the median so people can't turn left onto Strawberry Marsh from Allandale at all.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Yeah, you're absolutely right about all that - like anything, it's human behaviour that has to catch up. In this case, maybe "doing something about Strawberry Marsh Road" is just disallowing left turns and letting people figure out those legal U-turns themselves.
You know I wondered about that. There are lots of areas in town where left turns are now prohibited. The 2 eastern Empire Ave. intersections, and Empire on to Columbus come to mind. There are options to this as well; i.e. disallowing it at peak traffic times. If permanently, they have just to extend the concrete divider further South.

However left turns are not the only challenge with SM Rd. Being so close to the main intersection, it is also very difficult to get into the left turning lane to proceed West on PPD during heavy traffic.

Last edited by jjavman; Nov 28, 2019 at 4:27 PM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 1:32 PM

PPD/Allandale Roundabout Shelved

Looks like council woke up to the very real pedestrian issue on this one.

https://www.thetelegram.com/news/loc...dabout-387152/

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 4:01 AM

Hi, just wondering has anyone heard about Swoop launching flights to YYT from YHM starting June? I saw this on Wikipedia on the YYT page and the YHM page, but I can’t find any other reference to it. I’m hoping this is true, because YYT needs more competition!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._...tional_Airport
Go here and scroll to “airlines and destinations” and you’ll see Swoop in the table!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy123 View Post
Hi, just wondering has anyone heard about Swoop launching flights to YYT from YHM starting June? I saw this on Wikipedia on the YYT page and the YHM page, but I can’t find any other reference to it. I’m hoping this is true, because YYT needs more competition!

Go here and scroll to “airlines and destinations” and you’ll see Swoop in the table!
There's a footnote reference on the wiki info...
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...ork-expansion/

Ron.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy123 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
There's a footnote reference on the wiki info...
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...ork-expansion/

Ron.
This has now been officially confirmed.

Ron.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 10:38 PM

Saw this Tweet today -

Jodi Cooke
@Jodicookeskis
So I booked with @FlySwoop as soon as they announced #yyt direct to Hamilton. Just over $330.00 return tax in for TWO of us this summer. BUT beware the carry on baggage fees. An extra $184 additional return for one item each. In all, still a cheaper option.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 10:48 PM

Swiop

Swoop has definitely driven down some prices! YYT-YYZ for July 2nd-July 16th is apparently $277 cheaper than usual according to google flights!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's