HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 10:52 AM

Work Begins On New Paradise Roundabout

The Paradise roundabout at the Topsail-McNamara intersection will commence today. I believe some site work was started last year but this will be the real deal. Hopefully they can minimize the amount of traffic disruptions. The report says intersections lights will be turned off at 9:00 and back on at 4:00 - so it seems they are, at least, thinking about it. It will be painful but ultimately worth it. That is a bad intersection for drivers running red lights, I've seen a few close calls there.

VOCM
June 10, 2019

Quote:
Work starts today on the roundabout in Paradise at the Topsail Road-McNamara Drive-Clearview Heights intersection.

The traffic lights will be deactivated after 9:00 a.m. but they will be reactivated by 4:00 p.m. to accommodate the supper commute.

Paradise Mayor Dan Bobbett is a firm believer in roundabouts from both a safety and efficiency standpoint.

He says they are 25 per cent more efficient than light-controlled intersections, and there is a 77 per cent less chance of a fatality.
http://vocm.com/news/work-begins-on-...se-roundabout/

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 11:44 AM

The Topsail-McNamara roundabout is coming along very nicely. I must say, the construction crew is doing a really good job minimizing the impact of morning and afternoon commutes.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 2:23 PM

New World Fitness closing doors after almost 30 years

This story was posted over the weekend but I think it's worthwhile adding it to the thread.

Source: CBC News
Aug 9, 2019

Quote:
Locally owned gym New World Fitness is closing its doors in St. John's after nearly three decades in business.

Owner Rick Elliott said in a press release the business landscape has changed in recent years, and operating costs have escalated.

"It's for that reason the difficult business decision has been made to close New World Fitness," the release states.

The closure is effective Aug. 30 at 6 p.m.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...sing-1.5241605

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
The Paradise roundabout at the Topsail-McNamara intersection will commence today. I believe some site work was started last year but this will be the real deal. Hopefully they can minimize the amount of traffic disruptions. The report says intersections lights will be turned off at 9:00 and back on at 4:00 - so it seems they are, at least, thinking about it. It will be painful but ultimately worth it. That is a bad intersection for drivers running red lights, I've seen a few close calls there.

VOCM
June 10, 2019

http://vocm.com/news/work-begins-on-...se-roundabout/
Two months later and still driving on gravel...

I don't see this as a project that should be taking this long, and probably another month to go.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessel Run View Post
Two months later and still driving on gravel...

I don't see this as a project that should be taking this long, and probably another month to go.
Must be the crowd that did the Topsail/Blackmarsh Intersection.
That one was in slings for years.

In contrast, the repaving of the St. John's portion of Blackmarsh is going rather quickly.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 12:07 PM

I noticed a "Little Caesars coming soon" sign yesterday on the new retail strip plaza in the Octagon Pond area of Paradise. I think most people suspected a Little Caesars but I guess this makes it official.

Also, a Greco/Captain Sub is going into another commercial building on McNamara next to the Paradise Rec Centre.

There seems to be a lot of pizza joints popping up in Paradise. I guess Paradisians love their pizza!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 4:02 PM

SA Centre of Hope

Coming along on Springdale

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 12:05 AM

Westbury Estates

Land being cleared this morning on Southlands Boulevard presumably for Westbury Estates.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisisnf View Post
Land being cleared this morning on Southlands Boulevard presumably for Westbury Estates.
Is the road finished thru to Galway yet? Haven't been in there in a while.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 4:43 PM

That’s not even started yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Where is it even going to cone out? I hope not by the Orange Store. Already difficult making a left off Great Southern Drive.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Was in Southlands on Saturday and the extension of Southlands Blvd over to Galway hasn't even been started.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 3:32 PM

Nice to see that Google have replaced some of their satellite imagery of the North-East Avalon. The previous imagery had cloud over most of the West End.

Oh look, the New Costco is there

Last edited by rthomasd; Oct 15, 2019 at 4:02 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
Nice to see that Google have replaced some of their satellite imagery of the North-East Avalon. The previous imagery had cloud over most of the West End.

Oh look, the New Costco is there
That's neat to see. To tell the truth, I never think about switching over to satellite view when on Google Maps. I should remember more often - it gives a lot of additional information you don't see on the map view. From the satellite image it looks like there's a lot more area left to develop in Galway.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 5:49 PM

I just read through the Paradise Special Public Council meeting minutes from October 24. The minutes indicated the town put in a request to the Canada Infrastructure Program for $15 million towards a multi-sport turf facility. Not sure what that entails exactly. Anyone hear any more about this?

https://www.paradise.ca/en/town-hall...il-Meeting.pdf

Old Posted Dec 28, 2019, 12:43 PM

Well I guess it’s gone for good now. Hotel Mount Pearl is now burning big time. The second fire to occur there since Christmas Day. Seems suspicious.

https://www.thetelegram.com/news/loc...-hotel-392399/

Old Posted Dec 28, 2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Well I guess it’s gone for good now. Hotel Mount Pearl is now burning big time. The second fire to occur there since Christmas Day. Seems suspicious.

https://www.thetelegram.com/news/loc...-hotel-392399/
I grew up in mount pearl and can honestly say I’ve never heard of anyone staying there, except for friends who used to rent rooms just for parties or friends dragging off at the end of a night downtown. I wonder how it survived this long.

Wonder if they will rebuild or not.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 7:45 PM

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but drove past the new Paradise development and noticed there’s signage up for Burger King.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 12:48 PM

I figured that most of the stores in the Village Mall would be moved or remain closed after this pandemic thing, but it looks like at least one business is looking to move in there. I guess the obvious location would be the old Klondike Jakes spot. The application is from Mr. Billiards, who I've heard of, but never been.
http://www.stjohns.ca/public-notice/...0-topsail-road

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerwal View Post
I figured that most of the stores in the Village Mall would be moved or remain closed after this pandemic thing, but it looks like at least one business is looking to move in there. I guess the obvious location would be the old Klondike Jakes spot. The application is from Mr. Billiards, who I've heard of, but never been.
http://www.stjohns.ca/public-notice/...0-topsail-road
A pool hall. Well that's the kiss of death.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's