HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 2:20 AM

I totally agree. St. John's always does things for the here and now and not for the future. Same thing with Mile One. That place should have been built to hold a minimum of 10,000. The road systems are the same…built of the now and not for the future. I am sure the expanded convention centre will outgrow itself in no time if our city keeps growing like it is now. That Halifax NOVA Centre looks stunning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by displacednewfie View Post
Funny, the same thing was said to me when I was home visiting for Christmas, but hasn't St. John's only built for the present and not for the future? Facing reality this convention centre expansion could be deemed a complete total waste of money in 10-15 years.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
I bet it'll look great on the side of the convention centre! I'm still disappointed with the overall project though.. We should be expanding to compete with Halifax, Regina, Saskatoon, Quebec City, London and other similarly sized cities; not Moncton (ew), and Charlottetown and Fredericton. We seem to sorely underestimate our potential. I would have loved to see something similar to the nova centre be built here.. The city is going to have to live with the decisions it makes in 20 years when the convention centre will be in need of another doubling with nowhere to expand.
There were alot of limitations on this job that did not allow for higher and bigger, building. Some such as the existing building doesn't not have the loading capacity for another floor, the expansion area can not go out in to the road any further in any direction without getting rid of the road. This is also because of a existing duct bank that could not be moved. I can honestly say i know the inside and out of this project. There are some design things i did not like but im pretty sure they are going after a look that represents the "Welcome to St. John's" signs on the highway with the colorful little house looking things on it well thats what those tip out looking areas are supose to represent. Ether way still got 2+ more years before we see the final product.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravelley View Post
There were alot of limitations on this job that did not allow for higher and bigger, building. Some such as the existing building doesn't not have the loading capacity for another floor, the expansion area can not go out in to the road any further in any direction without getting rid of the road. This is also because of a existing duct bank that could not be moved. I can honestly say i know the inside and out of this project. There are some design things i did not like but im pretty sure they are going after a look that represents the "Welcome to St. John's" signs on the highway with the colorful little house looking things on it well thats what those tip out looking areas are supose to represent. Ether way still got 2+ more years before we see the final product.
Thanks for the insight! I know that there are always multiple sides to a story (/project) and we can't always see the full process, so it's nice to have someone explain some of the reasoning for size and height.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 11:32 AM

Oh I have faith that the final product will turn out great, but I was just wondering why they capped the extension off at 3 stories.. Do you know of any limitations/ reasons why they didn't make the extension portion taller with future demand in mind? Or use the piece of land to profit the city by building a hotel or office atop the expansion?

I Appreciate your knowledge on the matter!!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 1:06 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Oh I have faith that the final product will turn out great, but I was just wondering why they capped the extension off at 3 stories.. Do you know of any limitations/ reasons why they didn't make the extension portion taller with future demand in mind? Or use the piece of land to profit the city by building a hotel or office atop the expansion?

I Appreciate your knowledge on the matter!!
I am not 100% sure why they didnt go three stories on the extension, technically there is a 4th floor in the new expansion which would be a "Walk of fame" over the new conference area, which then leads into the new skywalk from the convention center to the delta (Not sure if the sky walk is in the build, there were talks of taking it out). I was part of the structural team that design the convention center, no longer with them so not up to date on any changes after award. But definitely going to be a great update to whats there now.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 6:17 PM
ARTchitecture

Any updates on this one? I'm making a thread specifically for convention centres in the Canada Section.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Any updates on this one? I'm making a thread specifically for convention centres in the Canada Section.
Construction is chugging along. Here is a link to a live webcam (not a very good angle) and photos (although not very up to date):

http://www.stjohns.ca/media-release/...e-construction

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 5:38 PM

Here's a video of the inside of the new convention centre.

Quote:
The St. John’s Convention Centre Expansion is on time, on budget and is really taking shape. Mr. Robar of Pomerleau, the contractor for the expansions says, “we are 11 months into the project and things are progressing well.”

To be completed in December 2015 and opening in January 2016, the expanded St. John’s Convention Centre will make St. John’s – already a great host city – an even better one. This $60 million expansion will double its current capacity, expand westward, and create a direct link to the Delta St. John’s Hotel, giving 100,000 square feet under one roof.

You can follow the construction of the new Centre in real time:
http://www.stjohns.ca/living-st-john...e-construction

Krista Cameron, Director of Sales is delighted to have these new marketing tools for the sales team.” We are currently working with groups as far out as 2020 and this will help to give the Meeting Planners a sense of space. For those groups that are coming in 2016, both the livecam and animation show that we are on target for opening and we are delivering on our promise of improved, larger meeting space.”

Destination St. John’s would like to thank the Architecture and Interior Design Team at Stantec for developing the 3D animation of the new St. John’s Convention Centre.

Destination St. John’s is a private sector company operating under the direction of a Board of Directors on behalf of its partners. It is first and foremost a sales and marketing organization; selling member’s products, services and experiences to the world. It currently targets major meetings, conventions and incentive travel (MC&IT); sport and cultural events, leisure travel and group tours.
Video Link

http://destinationstjohns.com/articl...ife-virtually/

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 6:58 PM

Looks good. For a building that's not very old it's pretty outdated inside with a pink and green colour scheme.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 10:05 PM

Here is a virtual tour of the convention centre posted by Destination St. John's on twitter. Pretty cool.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2drcO00...ature=youtu.be

Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 10:28 PM

They have started to install the coloured panels on the exterior of the convention centre this week. Most of the glass has also been installed. Over the next month or so we will really get to see how this will look and tie into the area.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE View Post
They have started to install the coloured panels on the exterior of the convention centre this week. Most of the glass has also been installed. Over the next month or so we will really get to see how this will look and tie into the area.
The exterior is really starting to take shape although I’m still not thrilled with the material. There may be valid reasons for such materials, durability, low maintenance, and perhaps lower cost, although at $60Mil for the makeover I don’t think cost was a consideration.

I thought at first that they would retain the brick on the original structure but I see that they have stripped the remaining brick off and are continuing to bring the new look around the back.

As for “tying into the area” I guess the colored panels on JAG would give an indication of where the design style might be going for this area. Let everything to the east retain a bit of a heritage look but let’s try to make “Downtown West” the new modern “high rise” business core…one can only hope.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 10:47 AM

The entire intersection of New Gower/Waldegrave/Barters Hill will be closed on Sunday to allow for construction on the Pedway. Looks like most of the support structures are already up on the corners of the intersection by Ultramar and the Delta.

http://www.stjohns.ca/public-advisor...vebarters-hill

Old Posted Aug 3, 2015, 8:15 PM

Art

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 11:03 AM

The convention centre is now opened, with official opening to come next month. Here are some photos and a video:

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...rst-visitors/1

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...pens-1.3564989

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's