HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 3:45 PM

Once again brilliant photos.. I have been debating a move home again this summer, and these really don't help me make a decision that is not based on emotions.. This is the first photo I've seen of the JAG hotel and from this angle it looks brutal.. Any others floating around?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 1:10 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

If ya belong here, ya belong here. We only live once, do you really want to spend it away from the place you love? That's what made the decision easy for me.

A few shots of the City of Legends tonight, set to the latest single from my favourite artist alive. So grateful to be living at the same time as both.

Video Link

The Rooms and the Roman Catholic Basilica of St. John the Baptist, towering above the Old East End.

Fortis Place and 351, with the Old West End climbing the hills behind.

St. Patrick's Hall (also known as the Benevolent Irish Society, the first charity in North America; now condos).

The Old East End framed by the east wing of the "new" Newfoundland Hotel. The school on the left is Bishop Field. St. John's still has most of its old downtown schools in operation. One of its hospitals is still open as well. Helps keep the residential neighbourhoods near downtown really lively - not all old folks and hipsters.

Memorial University off in the distance, framed by the west wing of the "new" Newfoundland Hotel and the Baine Johnson Building.

Confederation Building and Elizabeth Towers, near the Little Canada neighbourhood in the East End. Prince Philip Parkway, commonly known as "the Parkway", is the main inner-city commuter highway in front of Confederation Building.

Elizabeth Avenue, where the two tallest buildings in the city will soon be built.

Old St. John's from 351.

St. Patrick's Hall from the other side; some of the bars and clubs of George Street in the foreground.

The Anglican Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, its congregation established in 1699.

Fortis Place and the new JAG Hotel.

Water Street West, just 2-3 blocks shy of where it is cut by an arterial highway and becomes entirely dead/residential.

Cabot Place Complex, Mile One Stadium, and the St. John's Convention Centre in the Downtown West End.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Oct 24, 2014 at 1:35 AM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
A few scenes from this morning's hike.

If any of you want to live like fraggles, there's a Battery shack for sale. Only $359,900.

That may seem steep, but it includes avalanches and rock falls.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 9:46 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It was a gorgoeus but chilly day in St. John's. The final day of the tax-free sale at all downtown shops - and Armistice Day/Remembrance Day.

Video Link

The intersection of Garrison Hill, Queen's Road, Bond Street, Cathedral Street, Church Hill, New Gower Street, and Long's Hill.

Bright and red on Duckworth Street.

The intersection of Cathedral and Duckworth streets. The two restaurants at right are both quite popular. India Gate, which is obviously Indian food, and Saltwater, which is Newfoundland-Serbian fusion cuisine.

Outside Rocket Bakery on Water Street. This guy's hat is my favourite Republic of NL one I've seen. I love it!

Rocket was, as usual, packed. I love bakeries where you can sit in the bay windows like this family.

The crowd sitting outside The Rocket enjoying the beautiful weather and taking a break from tax-free shopping.

CELEBRITY SIGHTING! The incomparable Jonathan Munro. His father (from Montreal; mother local; he was born and raised here) started the threatre company that led to CODCO and just about every contemporary Newfoundland celebrity. He's one of the world's leading theatre actors (and a former classical pianist who played everywhere, even Carnegie Hall), currently based in NYC.

And, chatted with him - didn't get into politics too much but asked what he loves most about NYC. Then asked if there are any similarities. And he said yes, and that's why he chose NYC over Toronto. He said the people are just as friendly, they're Atlantic, and there's the same "enriching quality of life". So, music to my ears, as you can imagine.

Water Street at the intersection with George Street and Beck's Cove.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's