HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'ham Bound View Post
Note: I've seen Atlanta referenced in this thread. They don't have unified gov. However, CLT and Nashville are two that do.
Exactly, there is no unified government in Metro Atlanta at all.

The trend here is newly incorporated cities, especially in the core Counties of Fulton & DeKalb.

This region is very fractured, but there are rules in place for certain things like DRI's (developments of regional impact) by Regional bodies such as the ARC, or Atlanta Regional Commission. The ARC is Federally funded.

And I am so glad, actually. The ARC encourages density, town center focused development plannning, retrofitting older suburban cores, awards grants for planning or implementing streetscape improvements, and many other things that are great for the entire metro.

Of course, the Tea Party hates them. They consider it all a part of the evil UN Agenda 21, or some such insanity.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 6:13 AM
I concede

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
Well, first I don't think Charlotte has a unified government. Though, it might as well, as the city makes up 80% of the county's population.

I think you make a very good argument, especially in regards to having a single voice in Montgomery. Alabama's legislative districts largely favor rural areas, so increasing Birmingham's urban voice is pivotal. Even our US congressional districts favor rural areas. The cities of Birmingham, Montgomery, and Tuscaloosa are split between two districts.... Although, I'd bet that at least half of the population of Terrie Sewell's district is within urban parts of Birmingham and Tuscaloosa.

As far as removing redundancy to save money, I really think it's a tough call. That's a complex issue that involves a large number of public employees being let go, but also a lot of extra money for a unified government to spend throughout the county. I'm not political scientist or economist, I won't begin to guess at how that would all affect the area.
Thanks for that. I have no idea what made me toss CLT out as one.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 6:17 AM
I concede

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Exactly, there is no unified government in Metro Atlanta at all.

The trend here is newly incorporated cities, especially in the core Counties of Fulton & DeKalb.

This region is very fractured, but there are rules in place for certain things like DRI's (developments of regional impact) by Regional bodies such as the ARC, or Atlanta Regional Commission. The ARC is Federally funded.

And I am so glad, actually. The ARC encourages density, town center focused development plannning, retrofitting older suburban cores, awards grants for planning or implementing streetscape improvements, and many other things that are great for the entire metro.

Of course, the Tea Party hates them. They consider it all a part of the evil UN Agenda 21, or some such insanity.
I haven't heard Agenda 21 mentioned in a while. Almost forgot about that crackpot theory. If a unigov is in Birmingham's future, I see what you mentioned (a regional agency with real legislative authority) as a way to get there. Maybe the only way in this political climate.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 12:46 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'ham Bound View Post
Thanks for that. I have no idea what made me toss CLT out as one.
I think they do in some way but just for public services, perhaps? The police refer to themselves as Charlotte - Mecklenburg police. But then they also have Mecklenburg Sheriff's dept too which is odd. The schools are C - M school system. But as mentioned, the city is practically coterminous with the county anyway.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 4:54 PM

Birminghams development news has been dead for the past couple days... :/

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 5:00 PM
Burming Hammer

i've seen various pieces of equipment at the following sites:

VA Hospital (site prep?)
Melt Restaurant (renovation has begun)
Florentine Building (dumpster is sitting outside and roof work was being done)

not sure why LIV Parkside is going so slow... doesn't seem to be any activity on the site. maybe just due to all the weather?

also, there hasn't been a DRC meeting for a while due to weather, and that's where we usually first hear about new projects...

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
i've seen various pieces of equipment at the following sites:

VA Hospital (site prep?)
Melt Restaurant (renovation has begun)
Florentine Building (dumpster is sitting outside and roof work was being done)

not sure why LIV Parkside is going so slow... doesn't seem to be any activity on the site. maybe just due to all the weather?

also, there hasn't been a DRC meeting for a while due to weather, and that's where we usually first hear about new projects...
Any more news on the homewood suites, highland ave. tower, or the new city ville condo tower next to the negro baseball museum?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 6:36 PM

Btw, there is A tv show that will air on AMC called bombingham. It's about Birmingham in the 1960's and will be filmed here. It takes place in the present and 1960s bham. Should be interesting.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 11:28 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I think they do in some way but just for public services, perhaps? The police refer to themselves as Charlotte - Mecklenburg police. But then they also have Mecklenburg Sheriff's dept too which is odd. The schools are C - M school system. But as mentioned, the city is practically coterminous with the county anyway.
I think the relationship you see between Charlotte and Mecklenburg County might be similar to what Mobile has with Mobile County. Mobile County Schools cover most of the county. I don't know if there is significant cooperation between law enforcement, though.

But, I think those who wrote the state constitution always intended for county politics to be dominated by individual cities that pursued their own interests. Perfect example is Perdido Beach down in Baldwin County; they incorporated a few years back so that they could control development in their area and protect their small town atmosphere. I think Center Point is a more local example. IMO, things worked out just as they planned, which is why there are so many damn cities in JeffCo.

In a progressive move, the state government afforded a handful of counties some limited home rule, which is why JeffCo was able to get itself into bankruptcy. That probably wouldn't have happened if the county had maintained the weak amount of power the 1901 Constitution had intended.

The 1901 Constitution was written with the knowledge that a weak county government with no significant control over the land within its own boundaries meant virtually no unified voice. That meant that every little faction in every pocket of the county would incorporate their own community in order to "protect" and control what happened in their immediate surroundings. The control municipalities have within their limits is enough to prevent, generally, a significant change in demographics; this, in turn, ensures the fragmentation within a county. That fragmentation just means that you have a ton of individual communities pursuing interests that are just different enough that they can agree on very little.

All you need after that is a politician that is willing to gerrymander and you have the reason things are so slow to change around here, which is exactly what 1901 Constitution intended.

All of that may not seem pertinent, but it really is a good reason why unification may not be the solution that the area actually needs. Tough part is, it's incredibly hard to imagine ever being able to change it. I'd hazard a guess that your average resident of Mountain Brook doesn't want to live in the same municipality as the average resident of Brighton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslaughter View Post
Btw, there is A tv show that will air on AMC called bombingham. It's about Birmingham in the 1960's and will be filmed here. It takes place in the present and 1960s bham. Should be interesting.
I'm interested to see how the city is portrayed. I've never been one to ignore the past for the sake of moving on, but I'm anxious to see how this will affect people's current perception of the city.

EDIT: Kind of makes me think about that show back in the 90s "Any Day Now".

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 1:25 AM

Quote:

I'm interested to see how the city is portrayed. I've never been one to ignore the past for the sake of moving on, but I'm anxious to see how this will affect people's current perception of the city.

EDIT: Kind of makes me think about that show back in the 90s "Any Day Now".
Well northerners still think we don't have electricity, but when they come to visit birmingham they love it and stay.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Well northerners still think we don't have electricity, but when they come to visit birmingham they love it and stay.
Exactly. There's a little story told over here in certain circles about a guy from Chicago that was transferred to Birmingham. His wife cried all the way down on the flight South.

Five years later, he was transferred to Atlanta. She cried again.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 3:53 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Exactly. There's a little story told over here in certain circles about a guy from Chicago that was transferred to Birmingham. His wife cried all the way down on the flight South.

Five years later, he was transferred to Atlanta. She cried again.
All because the "open minded" can't open their minds to the fact that they might enjoy what we have to offer. By no means will every single visitor think places like Birmingham are the apex of society, but it doesn't mean there isn't something around to scratch their itch.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 5:03 AM

Quote:
All because the "open minded" can't open their minds to the fact that they might enjoy what we have to offer. By no means will every single visitor think places like Birmingham are the apex of society, but it doesn't mean there isn't something around to scratch their itch.
Thank you! I had never been to Birmingham, and ended up having to spend a month there last year. I fell in love!

I am a huge believer that in any sizable place, if you can't find someone or some place you like - it is not the place that is the problem.

And I have to admit that I love the story about the Chicago wife.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 12:32 PM
Burming Hammer

Quote:
This worries me a little. The good news is that it's AMC, which has a strong track record for dramas over the past 5 years. My fear is that modern day Birmingham may not be depicted in the best light. The title alone could set us back a little :/

Would be cool if they filmed here, although they may use their ATL location?

http://http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/true-blood-bomingham-alexander-woo-1201096445/

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 2:57 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
This worries me a little. The good news is that it's AMC, which has a strong track record for dramas over the past 5 years. My fear is that modern day Birmingham may not be depicted in the best light. The title alone could set us back a little :/

Would be cool if they filmed here, although they may use their ATL location?

http://http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/true-blood-bomingham-alexander-woo-1201096445/
To use an Atlanta location to film a DOCUMENTARY about Birmingham or any city for that matter would be a farce and make it devoid of credibility. Or is this a work of fiction just based around true events?

Last edited by Tourian; Feb 15, 2014 at 3:13 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 4:59 PM

Quote:
To use an Atlanta location to film a DOCUMENTARY about Birmingham or any city for that matter would be a farce and make it devoid of credibility. Or is this a work of fiction just based around true events?
If they did that, that would be a slap in the face to Birmingham.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 5:02 PM
Burming Hammer

Quote:
I may be wrong, but I don't think this is a documentary. Rather, a drama based on past events, showing Birmingham both now and 50 years ago.

The article mentions a script being written. Pretty sure it's fiction.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 7:17 PM

Well I believe that atleast some some scenes will be filmed here but alabama has been dodged by filmmakers a lot so we have to see what happens.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 7:59 PM

I feel like Birmingham could be a really interesting American city if the races could finally come together and manage to get along and live in (real) harmony. Either that or if the black citizens could become more organized and development-minded. Though I do feel like, unfortunately, investment in black people/communities is not as high as it is in white people/communities. This applies to investors of all races. This will change in the coming years as black Americans gain more buying power, of course. But it would be really nice (for the South in general) if Birmingham could become a more dense, tall, urbanized place. That region needs a big, bustling city to contrast with the sleepy nature of all the other places in the area. It could be a really culturally rich and interesting place.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
I feel like Birmingham could be a really interesting American city if the races could finally come together and manage to get along and live in (real) harmony. Either that or if the black citizens could become more organized and development-minded. Though I do feel like, unfortunately, investment in black people/communities is not as high as it is in white people/communities. This applies to investors of all races. This will change in the coming years as black Americans gain more buying power, of course. But it would be really nice (for the South in general) if Birmingham could become a more dense, tall, urbanized place. That region needs a big, bustling city to contrast with the sleepy nature of all the other places in the area. It could be a really culturally rich and interesting place.
Blacks and whites in Birmingham get along fine. Even though there is subtle racism here it's about the same as any other city. Blacks and whites live in seperate neighborhoods but that is normal. Birmingham is mostly black but that is changing with the redevelopment of southside. If you want to focus on a town where blacks and whites don't get along, go to Selma.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations