HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 10:16 PM

Last edited by STLtoSA; Nov 20, 2008 at 7:18 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 11:05 PM

I have a distant view from the Airport area of the Tesora building. I think they took down the crane today.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 8:39 PM

Hotel Talavera?

Have an update on the Village at the Rim.

Quote:
The retail is progressing, but the Hotel isn't. We are in conversation with a few other hotel operators about the site. No condo's planned yet, but if we do I will let you know.
I went by this weekend to new Nordstrom Rack (with the gf), Stone Werks looks almost complete and crews are working on the second garage at the
"village" area.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 9:13 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Have an update on the Village at the Rim.

I went by this weekend to new Nordstrom Rack (with the gf), Stone Werks looks almost complete and crews are working on the second garage at the
"village" area.
uh-oh...

good update. not surprising, unfortuntely.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 2:08 AM

south texas research (Sbuilding info.. MARC buidling

That horizontal plan for the South Texas Research (STR) building took me by suprise also. It looks so out of place with the surrounding buildings. Yep, I think they had the USAA concept of a long building. I could only guess that the labs could be bigger by having horizontal space rather than going vertical. I just hope they build those overhangs high enough. We have a walkway between our garage and main building, and so many trucks have hit our building's crosswalk.

I hadn't heard any more about the 23 story tower since it was proposed a while back. Either the plan is that the building has been split between the MARC (medical arts & research center) the 8 story building mostly complete, and the 4 or 5 story STR building (they are clearing the land) ... or option B, the MARC is only the 1st phase of with the 23 story tower added when funding arrives. I remember the UTHSC-SA prez was pushing the tower, but it's all quite now.

Another interesting thing, is that that land down there is very unstable. There is a multitude of drainages, maybe even springs. Any buildings in the area have to have maybe 15-30 f00t pillars in the ground. Even with this, we had about a dozen windows break due to stress fractures in our building.

Check out how bad Floyd Curl Drive is, with cracked pavement, due to the heaving ground in the area.

BTW I work in the medical center, and always interested in new buildings, so hit me up for info.

I was also curious where you found those pics of the new STR facility. I still have not found any other major websites discussing it.

appreciatively
sotxag62

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotxag62 View Post

Check out how bad Floyd Curl Drive is, with cracked pavement, due to the heaving ground in the area.

BTW I work in the medical center, and always interested in new buildings, so hit me up for info.

I was also curious where you found those pics of the new STR facility. I still have not found any other major websites discussing it.

appreciatively
sotxag62
Yeah, Floyd Curl is a mess there. fixing that stretch is going to be piggy-backed as an alternate bid to the Floyd Curl and Hamilton Wolfe Intersection Improvement project, that will start construction in April or May. If the bids are right and the money is there it will be fixed.

You are right about that land being a little unstable, but some of the problems on that stretch of Floyd Curl have been intinsified by poor construction and pavement design.

About construction in the area:

The VA and University Health Systems are both going to construct new parking garages.
University Health Systems is also going to build a new tower at the hospital (don't know how many stories yet).
To my knowledge the STRC design hasn't changed for some time now. Ever since the city started construction at Floyd Curl and Charles Katz, the design has been the same.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 2:36 PM

South Texas Medical Center - plans

Here was a town hall meeting for the UTHSCSA school of medicine 9/18/2008.
The middle section of the presentation has the plans for new facilities, new university hospital tower, a 6 mi running track through the med ctr.

http://aisvid.uthscsa.edu/Medical/Vi...layerType=WM7#

if that does not open up, go to this website, and hit the section on the far right side of the screen where you see the town hall meeting.

http://som.uthscsa.edu/

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 8:24 AM

Thats one nice hospital they want to build

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 9:32 PM
James

I have Safari, I can't view it can someone possibly post the rendering?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 11:02 PM

NEW UHS facilities

hmm... I need a quick study in how to load a picture into this forum ... new at this ... I was going to paste in the picture of the new UHS facilities...

appreciatively
sotxag62

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 1:56 AM

I use imageshack.us After you upload/host the picture, make sure you use the code starting with [IMG]

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 6:23 AM
Meh

Yes, upload your picture(s) to an image host site such as imageshack.us

Then you need to retrieve (right click and copy and paste) the image URL (link) and post it on the forum in your post. Place this code at the beginning of your image link: [img] and at the end of the image link place this one [/img]

Old Posted Nov 28, 2008, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepSanAntonioLame View Post
All I know is about the two apartment complexes on Austin Highway. The first one, at the site of the former Seven Oaks hotel, is already complete. The second one is being built where there were some crummy old motels. I had seen that Billy Ts had been closed, but I just thought it was because their burgers sucked. I don't know anything about a condo.
skimmed through some records and came up with some info/updates on projects:
  • "The second one" is a Chancellor Development project that will look like this, but with 120 more units; the one in this pic has 240

Its similar to Artessa at Quarry or the 1800 on Broadway in that it will be a wrap-around complex.
    Quote:
    The current properties are located at 1107 to 1125 Austin Highway, along the north side of the road between Mt.
    Calvary Drive and North New Braunfels Avenue, and near Terrell Hills and Alamo Heights.
    “We are very excited about this sale because the new project will represent one of very few new redevelopments of its
    kind close in to the urban center of the city,” said Sykes, of First American. “It will be bring a fresh look and complement other
    continuing improvements along Austin Highway.”
    Chancellor plans to construct a single building wrapping around an interior parking garage, with two swimming pools –
    one resort-style and the other a lap pool – as well as a cabana. The project will be similar to one the company developed in
    Kingwood, north of Houston, called Harbor View, a four-story, 250-unit apartment complex that also wraps around an internal
    parking garage, as part of a mixed-use development called Kings Harbor.
  • Many permits were granted this week for 1901 S. San Marcos for what most of us might know is going to be the development at Union Stockyards.
    Franklin Developments is the company and valuation of permits is well over 6 million for what looks like 9 total buildings
  • Also in the "same area;" there were also permits in valuation of over 4 million to NRP Group on S. Calaveras off of Frio City Rd; they already have the San Juan Apts on Ceralvo.
  • Building at 1962 Alamo St. received permit for million dollar addition and renovation. Also "Broadway Lofts" will be seeing some work done soon.
  • 161 Commerce, the building across from Aztec Building and Drury Inn, got permit for interior renovation. *studio/condos* w/ retail on 1st floor is what is being tried there.
  • Trying to find out what Malitz Construction is doing at the Billy T's site.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Last edited by miaht82; Nov 28, 2008 at 5:21 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2008, 3:17 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Neat.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 7:40 PM

Here are some picture's I took today.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 9:25 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

That garage is huge.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 9:42 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

All that glass sure would have looked good downtown....

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 2:33 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

first, thanks to ryneone for the pics...

second, it is nice-looking.

third, matttwentyeight's video of the hq:
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ndbreaking.flv

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 4:46 PM

I saw the Dury at 1604/I10 over the weekend. It looks great, especially height-wise.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 7:51 PM
James

Very nice Ryneone. It's pretty cool looking now that it is almost finished, and that video from matt makes it look pretty modern.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio