HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 17, 2010, 6:00 PM
Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by necropolis View Post
Wow at first I was really intrigued, but eventually became very skeptical. My first thought that this piece was far more descriptive than other wikipedia entries I've read. It just seemed too detailed. then I was like how can this mall which barely attracts enough people to fill the shops it does have all of a sudden transform into a place where super luxury stores are built, almost as if Marriott guests will magicaly transform into people wishing to spend thousands on bags or clothes they could by in their home state. Idk, it just sounded too thought out to be something actually looming, especially with the ongoing court case...which I'm still sorta confused about. O Wikipedia, you're like a forgotten cousin...I'm close enough to trust you but far enough to distrust you.
I was wondering if maybe there was a bigger plan to it. First off, I guess they really want to change the image of the Rivercenter, but they also might be planning to get people to actually want to stay down there.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2010, 7:15 PM

I believe Rivercenter is in dire need of a transformation. The city has grown immensely this past decade and though downtown has had less growth it is still the center of the city (in terms of how donwtowns are recognized). With the transformation of Hemisfair gaining traction I believe rivercenter would best be suited for how the older plans were...bringing in nightlife, restaurants, and flair for the tourists and local alike. This new plan, if true, seems to cater more to the tourists as far as aligning much of the mall with the hotel in terms of ballrooms and meeting space. I would love to see high end retail come to downtown, but I do not think now is the time. I think first we should develop to attract people, namely locals, downtown and when things become established then we can pursue high end retail and shops.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 1:18 AM

Quote:
I believe Rivercenter is in dire need of a transformation. The city has grown immensely this past decade and though downtown has had less growth it is still the center of the city (in terms of how donwtowns are recognized). With the transformation of Hemisfair gaining traction I believe rivercenter would best be suited for how the older plans were...bringing in nightlife, restaurants, and flair for the tourists and local alike. This new plan, if true, seems to cater more to the tourists as far as aligning much of the mall with the hotel in terms of ballrooms and meeting space. I would love to see high end retail come to downtown, but I do not think now is the time. I think first we should develop to attract people, namely locals, downtown and when things become established then we can pursue high end retail and shops.
Exactly my thoughts; I think that with Ashkenazy's (the current) redevelopment plan, we could get a bit of a 2-for-1 (minus extra ballroom/meeting space.) If all the phases get built, and that includes the possible unnamed "high-end" hotel that would sit on Commerce, then that could also bring in some higher-end stores when the right kind of foot-traffic is around. This could eventually push out some of the existing stores to the street and possibly coincide with and provide some tenants for some mixed-used projects that hopefully get moving in the next few years. All of this and some added entertainment and we could finally have a DT that could get enough interest from locals to be seen as a "location."

This new plan (Marriotts plan) could attract a new market to DT and sort of turn it into a higher-end destination, although I don't think that a few stores will do that. La Cantera is convenient enough to the resorts that people more than likely wouldn't venture down to DT specifically for shopping. **With these plans though, and the high number of hotels that Marriott has DT (including 2 still under construction,) it could be trying to achieve a complete takeover of DT and create a "village" (see: Hilton Hawaiian Village.) If we get a Texas-style luau performance at Hemifair Park, it could finally get some good use. Instead of a roasted pig and poi, we could serve barbacoa and migas.**

**indicates sarcastic tone and an attempt to be funny**
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Last edited by miaht82; Jan 18, 2010 at 2:01 AM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 2:35 AM
Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Exactly my thoughts; I think that with Ashkenazy's (the current) redevelopment plan, we could get a bit of a 2-for-1 (minus extra ballroom/meeting space.) If all the phases get built, and that includes the possible unnamed "high-end" hotel that would sit on Commerce, then that could also bring in some higher-end stores when the right kind of foot-traffic is around. This could eventually push out some of the existing stores to the street and possibly coincide with and provide some tenants for some mixed-used projects that hopefully get moving in the next few years. All of this and some added entertainment and we could finally have a DT that could get enough interest from locals to be seen as a "location."

This new plan (Marriotts plan) could attract a new market to DT and sort of turn it into a higher-end destination, although I don't think that a few stores will do that. La Cantera is convenient enough to the resorts that people more than likely wouldn't venture down to DT specifically for shopping. **With these plans though, and the high number of hotels that Marriott has DT (including 2 still under construction,) it could be trying to achieve a complete takeover of DT and create a "village" (see: Hilton Hawaiian Village.) If we get a Texas-style luau performance at Hemifair Park, it could finally get some good use. Instead of a roasted pig and poi, we could serve barbacoa and migas.**

**indicates sarcastic tone and an attempt to be funny**
That's what I am hoping for. Maybe they'll plan a residential area nearby or maybe a developer will see more of a potential for residences near it since the mall started to attract more people.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 1:29 PM

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...4_million.html

Marriott to pay $34+ million for interfering with sale of mall.

Last edited by tgannaway89; Feb 9, 2010 at 1:42 PM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 4:42 PM

A Houston's restaurant would be nice in SA like the ones in Houston,Dallas,Phoenix and here in Ausin or a Truluck's

http://www.hillstone.com/#/restaurants/houstons/

http://trulucks.com/

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 4:02 PM

from bizjournals.com

Quote:
Challenging times will not sink strategy for Rivercenter Mall

In his 14 years as general manager of Rivercenter Mall, Chris Oviatt has heard the battle cry over and over: “Bring in the locals.”

The problem with that concept? The locals are not Rivercenter’s primary target market.

“We are a convention- and tourist-driven shopping center. The customers we covet are the tourists and the conventioneers,” says Oviatt, who is also development

That master plan calls for adding some new restaurants and entertainment venues to the mall, updates to Rivercenter’s interior and exterior and renovations to the lagoon area of the mall.

Also key to AAC’s long-term vision for Rivercenter: The redevelopment of the 550,000-square-foot structure that was once a Joske’s department store. This particular project calls for building at least one other hotel anchor, and for additional restaurant, retail and entertainment venues.

Last month, work moved to the center of the lagoon, he continues. This project involves enclosing the river-level alcoves and filling in atrium space on the street and upper level — allowing for the addition of some permanent kiosks and a prime site for events. This work is slated for completion this April.
(explains some of the pics on here.)
Next up: The west side of the lagoon. As with the east side, the goal here will be to combine existing spaces that can accommodate restaurants with a larger footprint, Oviatt says. Plans call for work to begin late spring, and to have spaces ready for tenants by the fall.

Prior to the AAC acquisition, the primary focus was on maintaining a traditional retail core at Rivercenter — a philosophy that may have been in error, says Oviatt.

For AAC, the goal is not to re-make Rivercenter in the image of a traditional suburban mall, but to capitalize on its setting and create an urban entertainment complex.

“We’ll still have soft-goods retailing, but perhaps less square footage will be allocated to that segment,” he adds.

“We are not going to try to be all things to all people,” says Oviatt. “Our goal is to create a world-class, urban entertainment complex.”

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sa...2875911&page=1
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 11:29 PM
Paradise

With the article and the whole wikipedia thing, it's starting link together. I don't mind them guiding this to the locals, it's supposed to be. I'm actually for it, might spur some life.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 6:29 AM

Locals like me will not go to Rivercenter if there is a charge for parking unless it is valet. Why would anyone drive past La Cantera or North Star to go to Rivercenter for the additional cost?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 1:07 PM
Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
With the article and the whole wikipedia thing, it's starting link together. I don't mind them guiding this to the locals, it's supposed to be. I'm actually for it, might spur some life.
Whoops. I meant I don't mind them guiding this to visitors.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan5021 View Post
Locals like me will not go to Rivercenter if there is a charge for parking unless it is valet. Why would anyone drive past La Cantera or North Star to go to Rivercenter for the additional cost?
Do they not validate parking for people that actually shop there?

It is next to the Alamo which draws so many visitors a year. So you have discourage just any downtown visitor from parking there or make a little money since there really is no free parking downtown anyway.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan5021 View Post
Some of the reasons as to why they are trying to create an "entertainment complex" and cater to visitors.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 7:56 AM
Let's Eat!

plzzzzz post some pics for me.....wont be back in Tx for a while

Old Posted Jun 26, 2010, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
Do they not validate parking for people that actually shop there?

It is next to the Alamo which draws so many visitors a year. So you have discourage just any downtown visitor from parking there or make a little money since there really is no free parking downtown anyway.
They do, well atleast AMC and the Comedy Club do.

Awesome sounding project. Hope it all works out. Alot of potential in River Center.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2010, 3:01 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

There's some new renderings and pictures in the display cases of the old Joskes if anyone cares to go check them out.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 9:30 PM
San Antonio

Last edited by arturo_pro; Aug 5, 2010 at 4:01 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 10:09 PM

Interesting...my friend told me he had heard that they might make some of the old dillards building into something similar to a mini times square w/ scrolling marquees. and based on that rendering it looks sorta like he might be right...the daytime rendering shows that "amc theaters" may be scrolling across...unless it is just "am Theat" haha

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 10:21 PM
Paradise

Thanks for those. I saw one rendering a long time ago, but it's good to see more.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Interesting...my friend told me he had heard that they might make some of the old dillards building into something similar to a mini times square w/ scrolling marquees. and based on that rendering it looks sorta like he might be right...the daytime rendering shows that "amc theaters" may be scrolling across...unless it is just "am Theat" haha
I think you're right. It looks like three seperate screans.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 3:19 AM
Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrodrig34 View Post
I think you're right. It looks like three seperate screans.
I was wondering if those were screens as well. They look like it. It'd be nice to have a mini Times Square.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio