HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 2:17 PM

Apparently Braley was worth $3.3 billion so it will be interesting how his will was written and what it might entail for the lions and cfl possibly?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Since he wrote the cheques and held the mantle of all decisions go through him, his decisions held sway. This power could be the main reason why the CFL has gone through a dozen commissioners in the past 20 years and why Randy Ambrosie was hung out to dry in front of the HoC committee.
I doubt if Braley had much sway in the past few years (1) due to his health and (2) Bell/TSN running the Argos (and league)

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I doubt if Braley had much sway in the past few years (1) due to his health and (2) Bell/TSN running the Argos (and league)
I would wager that MLSE devote their time and energy to the following:

Maple Leafs - 70%
Raptors - 25%
TFC - 4.5%
Argos - .5%

MLSE would be more than happy to allow Braley to push the buttons of the CFL while they concentrated on their more profitable properties.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 9:46 AM

Quote:
MLSE would be more than happy to allow Braley to push the buttons of the CFL while they concentrated on their more profitable properties.
I doubt if Braley was in any condition to push too many buttons. It was public knowledge he was not well for the last few years.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I doubt if Braley was in any condition to push too many buttons. It was public knowledge he was not well for the last few years.
Likely, but I'd wager that his influence, even if he was ill was still present.

Anyway, we shall soon find out if the CFL will be going in a new direction regarding marketing and embracing new media ideas. It needs something after being on the sidelines for a year.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Likely, but I'd wager that his influence, even if he was ill was still present.

Anyway, we shall soon find out if the CFL will be going in a new direction regarding marketing and embracing new media ideas. It needs something after being on the sidelines for a year.
There was a rumour a few months ago that the League was considering turning the keys over to MLSE entirely. It'd be a terrible idea, but the CFL needs to find a way to let MLSE revamp their marketing department. Pay them to do it, I don't care.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 6:03 PM

Based on what I've read here over the years, there is a tendency of people to believe that NHL teams can somehow work miracles when it comes to marketing sports teams. As though a CFL team having the same owner as a NHL team would translate to automatic success.

If that was the case, then you would think Toronto and Calgary would be hands down the most successful CFL teams. But they aren't. I don't know why people think that having MLSE running the league would make someone in, say, Calgary or Montreal want to run out and buy season tickets.

But that said, the CFL could benefit from a little marketing advice for sure.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Based on what I've read here over the years, there is a tendency of people to believe that NHL teams can somehow work miracles when it comes to marketing sports teams. As though a CFL team having the same owner as a NHL team would translate to automatic success.

If that was the case, then you would think Toronto and Calgary would be hands down the most successful CFL teams. But they aren't. I don't know why people think that having MLSE running the league would make someone in, say, Calgary or Montreal want to run out and buy season tickets.

But that said, the CFL could benefit from a little marketing advice for sure.
Agree, and it's not like the Argos are playing to SRO crowds. Having said that, though, MLSE did have some synergies at work. According to them, they are able to move sales agents to other projects fluidly and by reducing some costs of doing business (because they are MLSE) some aspects of the business were becoming more profitable with actually smaller attendance.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 3:14 AM
Ham-burgher

What bothers me about that idea is MLSE is going to do what is good for MLSE, not necessarily what is good for the CFL. The two may not align.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
What bothers me about that idea is MLSE is going to do what is good for MLSE, not necessarily what is good for the CFL. The two may not align.
They don't. In one case in this tangled web of loyalties, TSN wants a Thursday Night Football game while the league does not. It's a tough draw for the league but a good ratings winner for TSN on a normally slow night.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 2:46 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
They don't. In one case in this tangled web of loyalties, TSN wants a Thursday Night Football game while the league does not. It's a tough draw for the league but a good ratings winner for TSN on a normally slow night.
As a ticket buyer I've always liked Thursday night games. Especially in the summer. It's close enough to the end of the work week plus you have your whole weekend free.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
As a ticket buyer I've always liked Thursday night games. Especially in the summer. It's close enough to the end of the work week plus you have your whole weekend free.
Really? I much prefer Friday night games... you don't have to worry about waking up early the next day.

There still a lot of resistance to Friday night games around here during the summer because of the cottage crowd, though. I doubt all that many Bomber ticket buyers have cottages, but I'm sure a large proportion of the big spenders do so the team understandably looks after them.

I get why the CFL abandoned Sundays (apart from the playoffs), but that is one part of the schedule I wish the league could have back.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 5:02 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I totally agree - Thursdays are perfect for me in the summers when it’s nice to free-up the weekends. And you only have one day of work to get through as you say.

I just hope we have games to attend in 2021 (on any night of the week).

Old Posted Nov 7, 2020, 5:54 PM

https://3downnation.com/2020/11/06/n...-farhan-lalji/

New B.C. Lions ownership likely won’t happen until after the pandemic: Farhan Lalji

Following the passing of long-time B.C. Lions owner and CFL stalwart David Braley last month, plenty of speculation has swirled around the future of Canada’s westernmost football franchise.

While the Hamilton-based businessman was rumoured to be selling the club for almost the entire decade before his death, Lions’ fans shouldn’t expect any clarity on new ownership in the near future.

“I know there are people interested in buying the team and they’re willing to buy it now knowing the expected financial losses, but I don’t necessarily think there is incentive for that to happen today,” Farhan Lalji said when asked about the potential sale on TSN 1040 radio in Vancouver on Friday.

“Do I think they are going to get sold? Yes, I do. Do I have a sense of who the interested parties are? Yes, they are some of the names you’ve heard before. Now it’s just a case of timing. Do you want to step into it now or do you want to wait until the worst of it is behind you in terms of the losses and step in next December after whatever the season is going to look like?”

The family has not yet made known its official intention to sell, though Lalji would be surprised if they held on to the asset long term. In the short term, there is neither pressure nor incentive to rush a sale.

Lalji confirmed earlier reports that Braley had put aside a substantial amount of money to run the Lions after his death, enough for three regularly financed seasons. That won’t go nearly as far in a COVID world, but it does mean the club has financial wiggle room remaining. Those funds can cover immediate losses in 2021, something prospective buyers are unlikely to be happy absorbing.

“I certainly don’t think the franchise is worth anything today,” Lalji said frankly. “I’m not saying that as a shot, but if it was worth $10 million and you are going to lose $10 million this year because of COVID, that pretty much nets you out at zero.”

The struggling Leos need radical changes to their business model to be successful under new ownership and Lalji believes there is a model for success locally.

“Look at the Whitecaps (Vancouver’s MLS franchise). Just look at their front office infrastructure, their sales staff, their event staff, the amount of people they have involved,” he said. “The crowds haven’t been significant the last couple of years because of the way things have gone on the field and certainly some transgressions off of it that have hurt the franchise, but when you look at what they are putting into it, that is where the Lions need to go. We’re not talking about Canucks level, but you need to get to that (Whitecaps) level in terms of your office infrastructure, your promotions and ticket sales.”

Lalji believes there are prospective buyers out there with the vision and business acumen to return the club to that type of prominence in the market.

“I think the business people who want to get involved have that understanding and the capacity for what needs to happen to try and get back to where it was 2011-2013 when they were in that window of thirty thousand for attendance. I think that is still possible,” Lalji explained.

“The one thing with David Braley was that he just wasn’t willing to commit the resources to take it forward. But he was certainly willing to commit the resources to tread water, make payroll and do that kind of thing, and he’s got to be given credit for that, especially during COVID.”

The team will have that new owner sometime in the future but it’s unlikely to happen until after the pandemic is over. That means more waiting for Lions fans who have grown increasingly frustrated with the state of the club. Lalji believes that Braley could never bring himself to divest from the team, even if he’d talked about it for years.

“He just didn’t want to sell. Yes, there was talk the last seven or eight years, but he just did not want to part with the team. He didn’t want to give up a seat at the table in terms of his influence with the CFL,” he said.

That amount of waiting and the current financial climate means the next owner of the Leos will likely be a lot different from the last one.

“There have always been guys who want to buy it. The one thing with David is he didn’t want to sell it to a group. He wanted to sell to someone like him, a big benefactor who could underwrite everything,” Lalji explains. “That probably isn’t what this is going to look like but that doesn’t mean it can’t work.”

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 3:17 AM

Strange that this topic came into my mind a few days ago

Fantuz on Canadian Air Force: ‘It was a lot of fun’
cfl.ca November 8, 2020

TORONTO — About 10 years ago, the Canadian Air Force was born in Saskatchewan.

The group was made up of four national receivers, Andy Fantuz, Jason Clermont, Rob Bagg and Chris Getzlaf, who played for the Roughriders in 2009 and 2010.

“It just seemed like we had a revolving door of people making plays,” Fantuz, told Donnovan Bennett, who was joined by Clermont, Bagg and Getzlaf on this week’s episode of The Waggle.

“(Darian) Durant had a lot of options and I can’t remember how (the name) came to be but it stuck on pretty fast and went viral across the league, especially in Saskatchewan with the fan base there. I thought it was a pretty cool name that I was proud of and it was nice to see us really taking the league by storm, having a bunch of your best buds (together). It was a lot of fun.”

Clermont was the most veteran of the bunch, after he had spent time with the BC Lions 2002-2008 before joining the Riders in 2009. Fantuz was in his fourth year in the CFL at the time while Getzlaf was in his third and Bagg in his second.

“Well I think that on that Canadian Air Force, by that time, I was the guy with the old propeller just being air traffic control,” said Clermont. “I was the guy clearing the runway the be honest.”

Having a veteran for the rest of the bunch to look to for good habits and techniques was critical to their success.

Fantuz had his most productive season in the green and white in 2010, where he hauled in 1,380 yards and six touchdowns while Bagg hit a career-high in receiving yards in 2009 with 807. Getzlaf hauled in 946 yards in 2010 before having his best-ever season in the CFL the following year, catching 1,071 yards and 10 touchdowns.

“I think you got to see first hand the kind of work ethic a guy like that has and the toughness, both mentally and physically,” said Getzlaf of playing with Clermont. “He made one of the biggest plays of that year in the playoffs. That was one of the funnest celebrations that I’ve had the whole year, was celebrating that overtime touchdown.”

“When I was coming through college my early years, I was really studying and admiring a guy like JC when he was in BC and really trying to model a lot of my game after him, learning tips and techniques from him,” added Fantuz of his Canadian teammate. “There were guys like (Ben) Cahoon and others across the league but it’s a lot different now where you’re seeing Canadian receivers make the All-Star team, league-wide considered the top receivers on the team or in the league. It is very important to have that depth on your team.

“Maybe that Roughrider team in 2009/2010 kind of paved that way of maybe we can have two or three starting Canadian receivers and that could be a successful recipe for a championship.”

Now Ottawa REDBLACKS head coach Paul LaPolice was the Riders’ offensive coordinator in 2009. Fantuz says that LaPolice created a culture within the locker room that it was a full team effort.

“He wanted to share the wealth,” remembered Fantuz. “He thought we’d be a more successful team if teams couldn’t defend a certain player or a certain couple players. We just had that culture instilled from him and it just trickled down the line. LaPolice, to the quarterbacks and then through the receiver room.

“It was really win by committee and there was no animosity or egos in that room it was all about, someone is going to make the play this time and someone else the next time and as long as we’re winning and having fun.”

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 11:48 PM

With the big news of Pfizer's covid-19 vaccine announcement today and possibly having it roll out Q1 of 2021 for the public I sure hope now the 2021 CFL season is saved as I wanna see my Bombers defend their Grey Cup and win a 12th Grey Cup for Peg City with Collaros, Harris and Jefferson.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 2:14 AM

^ Hear hear

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 6:48 PM

https://3downnation.com/2020/11/12/p...venue-sharing/

Players’ union leaders: CFL’s financial issues could be solved by revenue sharing

The leaders of the CFL Players’ Association agree the league’s longtime financial issues could be solved by sharing revenue.

Union president Solomon Elimimian and executive director Brian Ramsay want the league’s owners and teams to split the revenue evenly to ensure long-term viability.

“A big part of that in terms of structure is financial stability, and incorporating that stability would be one of the biggest and most pressing challenges within the governance structure across the league,” Ramsay said on Sportsnet 650 radio in Vancouver.

“We have to look at revenue sharing and really delve deep because it doesn’t matter how much money Saskatchewan brings in or Hamilton brings in if other clubs are suffering,” Elimimian said. “The CFL is only as strong as the collective.”

During commissioner Randy Ambrosie’s plea to the Canadian government for up to $150 million in coronavirus financial aid, he revealed that collectively CFL teams lost between $10 and $20 million dollars per season in recent years.

“It’s no surprise some of our big market clubs struggle financially. If an internal revenue sharing model at the league level, and the team level, is put in, you could put a lot of those financial challenges aside,” Ramsay said.

“Once you’re able to take the focus away from the constant financial struggles, you can then turn your attention to the marketing, growing the fanbase, things that I think we all would agree need to be done in order to grow our great league.”

The founder of 3DownNation, Drew Edwards, did some cocktail napkin math in 2018 when the CFL salary cap was $5.2 million; multiply that by nine teams and the total is $46.8 million. That works out to 22.3 percent of the reported $210 million in CFL revenues going to player salaries.

“Your No. 1 expense is pre-paid by the broadcast deal, which is the player expense, the players’ salary. That’s pre-paid before we even step on the football field, and yet you tell me that we can’t be successful on the business side,” Elimimian said.

In pro sports, player compensation is often tied to league revenue. While formulas for what is and isn’t included can be convoluted, NHL players receive approximately 50 per cent of revenues, NBA players get between 49 and 51 per cent, and NFL players see between 46.5 and 48 per cent. The MLB is also around 50 per cent.

“If we start at that same percentages or if that’s something with a new model that we work to, those are things that we can continue to discuss. When we look right now where the expenses go to they’re not going to the players,” Ramsay said.

“The players salaries as a percentage against annual revenue are not comparable right now and we do believe investing in the product — which is the players — that would solve a lot of issues as we continue to market the game and promote the game around the country and around the world.”

Ramsay feels the answer is simple: the CFL and its players should split the revenue in a way that’s similar to other league across the globe. It’s a proven model that works and the players deserve to share in the revenue that’s comparable to other industry standards.

“It starts with changes in the financial stability and ensuring that we’re on a footing to be successful moving forward,” Ramsay said. “It’s important that the survival of the league and the growth of the league takes the forefront to any individual. That will give us that opportunity to be successful as a league.”

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 2:23 AM

Quote:
I would wager that MLSE devote their time and energy to the following:

Maple Leafs - 70%
Raptors - 25%
TFC - 4.5%
Argos - .5%

I think this may have been true a while ago, but because of the massive NBA TV deal, the Raptors are actually worth more than the Maple Leafs at this point (according to Forbes), crazy as that is. And Larry Tanenbaum is a big basketball guy, so I think those two teams probably get fairly equal attention from MLSE. But your point that the Argos are a total afterthought - definitely agree. I think MLSE just bought them to keep them going.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 2:26 PM

Argonauts bring back the boat logo "for good":

The press release mentions that they only had the original boat logo for 13 years, 1976 to 1988 which is hard to believe given how iconic it is.

As good as it looks they should have put that little bit of brown back into the football... now that was a classic design from the golden age of football logos and jerseys.

The funny thing about this is that the "new" boat logo was first unveiled in 1994 and it's just kind of floated around in the background without ever actually becoming the team's official logo, until now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada