HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
The Irby- Buckhead (New Renderings)
I have a feeling "Fuckhead Bistro" didn't happen by accident

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 12:30 PM

Twenty white folks on the sidewalk - cool!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
Hey there's one guy that could be Latino. But seriously, pedestrians in Buckhead? Very unrealistic.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Never understood why people preoccupy themselves with the skin color of pedestrians in building renderings posted on an internet building enthusiast forum. Is your life truly that mundane??? Must you shoehorn racial preconceptions into every conversation you have??

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 2:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighbor View Post
Never understood why people preoccupy themselves with the skin color of pedestrians in building renderings posted on an internet building enthusiast forum. Is your life truly that mundane??? Must you shoehorn racial preconceptions into every conversation you have??
To answer your question, my life is mundane enough that I question and hope others would question why an architectural rendering of a luxury apartment building located in a city with a population that is 54% black, yet the illustrator (failed to/was diected not to) include ONE image of a black man, woman or child.

This image is not unique with respect to the consistent pattern of racial exclusion in architectural renderings. Pictures have as much meaning as words do and the Ivy Buckhead picture clearly illustrates the current state of this city and country. The systemic pattern of racial exclusion is in all parts of our culture. The quicker WE recognize even things as simple as an architectural rending do have a massive impact on ultimately forming our opinions - consciously or subconsciously the better our society will be.

And that is my opinion on this matter.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 2:55 PM

And arguing over body placeholders in renderings is the cause of these racial divisions? Mandating that the people in these rendering metrically fit the city demographic is a solution to racial divisions? The truth is these images impact nothing and are viewed by very few people.

The only people upset by this are those whose world view is so myopic that it can only be seen through the prism of race. This is a complete nonissue in every sense and only serves to steer conversation towards heated racial diatribes and away from the architecture of buildings themselves.

I think I speak for more than myself when I say that I come to this forum partially as a sanctuary away from the daily political drivel. I hear enough of this in every other facet of life, can't we just talk about buildings and city design here? There are so many other outlets to vent this minor grievance, let's shift this sort of discussion somewhere else.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 6:33 PM

Quote:
And arguing over body placeholders in renderings is the cause of these racial divisions? Mandating that the people in these rendering metrically fit the city demographic is a solution to racial divisions? The truth is these images impact nothing and are viewed by very few people.

The only people upset by this are those whose world view is so myopic that it can only be seen through the prism of race. This is a complete nonissue in every sense and only serves to steer conversation towards heated racial diatribes and away from the architecture of buildings themselves.

I think I speak for more than myself when I say that I come to this forum partially as a sanctuary away from the daily political drivel. I hear enough of this in every other facet of life, can't we just talk about buildings and city design here? There are so many other outlets to vent this minor grievance, let's shift this sort of discussion somewhere else.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Great argument.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
I have a feeling "Fuckhead Bistro" didn't happen by accident
lol nice catch

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 8:40 PM

Quote:

What if all of these body placeholders where black? Would you then take notice?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta3000 View Post
to answer your question, my life is mundane enough that i question and hope others would question why an architectural rendering of a luxury apartment building located in a city with a population that is 54% black, yet the illustrator (failed to/was diected not to) include one image of a black man, woman or child.

This image is not unique with respect to the consistent pattern of racial exclusion in architectural renderings. Pictures have as much meaning as words do and the ivy buckhead picture clearly illustrates the current state of this city and country. The systemic pattern of racial exclusion is in all parts of our culture. The quicker we recognize even things as simple as an architectural rending do have a massive impact on ultimately forming our opinions - consciously or subconsciously the better our society will be.

And that is my opinion on this matter.
+1

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 2:38 PM

Not at all. We are talking about building renderings, why would I pay attention to the people? Some renderings just include the outside shapes of people with no color, are you upset that they don't show obese outlines because they now make up a significant portion of the population?

See how ridiculous this argument is?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately that seems to be the standard in architectural renderings for projects all over the city.

Is this intentional? Is it subliminal racism? Have architects just failed to update their software? Is there some arcane artistic reason for it?

Whatever the reason, it ought to be fixed.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Unfortunately that seems to be the standard in architectural renderings for projects all over the city.

Is this intentional? [/IMG]
Just noting the people within the renderings can be captured from any image on the internet (*usually* with permission, unless for an academic project), photo outside, wherever. It's not like they have to pick and choose from a limited stock within their software.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 3:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Not at all. We are talking about building renderings, why would I pay attention to the people? Some renderings just include the outside shapes of people with no color, are you upset that they don't show obese outlines because they now make up a significant portion of the population?

See how ridiculous this argument is?
Sure the argument may seem ridiculous if you are narrowly assuming our statements are JUST about racial exclusion in architectural renderings. However, I think you are smart enough to realize the debate here stems from the much larger issues on racial exclusion, treatment, discrimination, employment, wealth, justice system, education, home ownership, media....etc.

Not to get into an argument, but the only ridiculous aspect of this debate is if anyone truly believes there is not a racial divide in this city and country. The architectural rendering issue is just the tip of the f'en iceberg, but the debate needs to start somewhere and in this case it is something as "ridiculous" as racial exclusion in architectural renderings. Cheese 'n Rice can't these illustrators throw African Americans a bone and draw at least 1 brotha or sista into the picture?

Seriously, in the real world there may be 2 Americas, but can't the architects at least make the world seem a little more harmonious in a goddamn picture? To me that is what is ridiculous.

Last edited by Atlanta3000; Mar 30, 2018 at 7:59 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Is this intentional? Is it subliminal racism? Have architects just failed to update their software? Is there some arcane artistic reason for it?

Whatever the reason, it ought to be fixed.

FYI - this isn't a rendering - it's an actual representation of PCM's client demographics.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
FYI - this isn't a rendering - it's an actual representation of PCM's client demographics.
Yep, and right off the bat, I see a couple of black people, a fat ass or two, and I think I see Trumps' fat ass dressed in a green Polo shirt and tan trousers while sporting a "Make Mercia Great Again" f'ing red hat!

That's how you rep this city...

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 8:37 PM

That PCM scene looks lame af

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
That PCM scene looks lame af
It's gimmicky for sure. 9 mile station (the restaurant/bar) is worth it for the views. The carney bs is certainly lame, though.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
WTF, Anyway why is this in the Buckhead Village Development thread???

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta