HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Cautiously hopeful for more residential in the area.
Isn’t there supposed to be a student apartment tower right across the street from that deck?

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
Isn’t there supposed to be a student apartment tower right across the street from that deck?
Yep, but I am hopeful for residential housing that doesn’t rely on the schoolyear. The foottraffic is good from the others, but will be nice to have a mix. Right now the only residential is private student dorm housing from biltmore place to Ponce west of west Peachtree.

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
Yeah! What’s up with that massive parking deck behind this development?
In every picture I see regarding the 740 W. Peachtree development, the deck always seems to be empty or extremely underutilized.

Wonder who owns it and if it will ultimately be replaced with an new development. I know that sounds a little crazy, but with GaTech’s new announcement to add more buildings, it would seem that we are running out of developable land in the vicinity of Tech Square.

Just an observation.
That was originally built back as part of the whole Southern Bell Tower development. Years ago I worked in that tower and that deck was a lot of the 2nd tier employee parking. That's why it shares that same sort of stark brutalist architecture. I recently worked in that same area and it currently seems to be empty and barely used (if at all). I don't know if it's still considered part of the BellSouth/AT&T development. From street level it is everything that is wrong with the way Atlanta used to allow parking decks to be built. I wonder if that was constructed to support later build out over the deck? Or it's really such a nasty deck, maybe they should just demo and start over.

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 8:05 PM

Hate to break it to youse all, Carl Icahn owns the deck as well as 675 W. Peachtree-AT&T. That deck won't be destroyed pending demolishing of AT&T and I don't think that will happen. Who knows, but Carl's 83 and if I'm a S&P 500 marketing or service org looking for massive back office space then I'm biding my time.

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
Hate to break it to youse all, Carl Icahn owns the deck as well as 675 W. Peachtree-AT&T. That deck won't be destroyed pending demolishing of AT&T and I don't think that will happen.
Is it a fact or your opinion that the deck won’t be destroyed?

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 9:48 PM

It's a fact. 675 needs a load of parking and that's what it provides together with more parking in the block north of 675. Blame mid-20 century brutalism. I don't like it either.

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 9:59 PM

Once upon a time I lived at what was 76 3rd St. for a couple years. A great neighborhood with potential. Then went away for a decade...and when I came back I wasn't happy to see what had happened.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 12:52 PM

At a couple of previous Midtown DRC committee meetings, the developers of the Anthem Buildings and the developers of the student housing tower on the Norfolk Southern block both mentioned that the parking deck would be redeveloped. I tend to trust info like that, because the developers know what is going on with each other (of course plans can always fall through). I'm reminded of developers on Crescent talking about a huge project by another developer right behind their proposed tower. That turned out to be the 1105 W.Peachtree development.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 3:17 AM

Is it possible/feasible for Anthem to us the same crane in its current position (attached to Tower 1), to construct the 2nd tower which is mere feet away?
Or will another crane in a different location be used due to.... ????
Inquiring minds would like to know from someone in the business?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLMidcity View Post
Is it possible/feasible for Anthem to us the same crane in its current position (attached to Tower 1), to construct the 2nd tower which is mere feet away?
Or will another crane in a different location be used due to.... ????
Inquiring minds would like to know from someone in the business?
It's a different GC, so will be a separate crane.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 4:08 PM

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Never realized that CODA had so much roof-top equipment on the main tower.

Just seems that they could have added another row of curtain-wall glass-work to the top and covered the equipment from view.

Some of the other office buildings in the vicinity found ways to cover their equipment or shelter it from view.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 2:14 AM

That's not equipment, really. There are a couple of ducts, but mostly it's walls and glass from the center column. I think it looks fine in person. I wish they'd done a better job with lighting, though. It's like the place just shuts off at night. NCR has a much nicer touch with the signage and lighting on the top.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 2:39 AM

I disagree. The lighting of the building looks good at night especially street level which is what’s important. Regarding equipment showing, you see nothing from the street or from any other angles driving through the city.

Honestly you want to disparage a building due to equipment showing then look at Lilli. Everyone praises it, but boy does the equipment stick out when you are driving on the south of the building from any direction and look up from a distance. It’s very visible from ground level and looks like something that was built 75 years ago that had to be rehabilitated with a ton of equipment added with a new nice facade.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 3:46 AM

i thought they'd filed permits to build some kind of roof parapet on lilli? i haven't seen it in awhile, maybe they have and it's just inadequate?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
i thought they'd filed permits to build some kind of roof parapet on lilli? i haven't seen it in awhile, maybe they have and it's just inadequate?
It's inadequate. They installed it on the Peachtree side, but the east side is still exposed.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 9:49 PM

I was thinking that this looks like a good way to do a mixed use office residential, with the smaller residential footprint on the top for another 15-20 stories. Could have been nice...

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 9:57 PM

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Nice the Skyline is moving down South and West Peachtree.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 11:06 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta