HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 10:39 AM

They have updated the site plan, grocery store included.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 1:13 PM
Development Spectator

The parking deck block at Pollard and Fulton is terrible. I get that they have a large commuter based student body and that the athletic venues need parking. But why an entire block? Especially where they've shown on Hank Aaron Drive that they know how to do it another way.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 1:25 PM

Parking is going to be the death of this city.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 2:21 PM

[QUOTE=smArTaLlone;8580433]They have updated the site plan, grocery store included.

Really dumb of them not to include more open green space. This will be the cultural center of the university because of the arenas, but they didn't provide room to tailgate.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighbor View Post

Really dumb of them not to include more open green space. This will be the cultural center of the university because of the arenas, but they didn't provide room to tailgate.
Keep in mind that GSU doesn't control most of this site. I actually like this a lot. I think it gives a nice transition between the neighborhood and three large GSU venues while creating an active streetscape along Hank Aaron for the neighborhood and GSU. Win, win, win IMO.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 6:31 PM

The site plan is great IMO. I don’t know how familiar y’all are with the location of the proposed deck. It is an ideal place for a parking deck for all the facilities plus the commuters who park here and walk or ride buses to the campus downtown. The land here is actually below the grade of Fulton Street and slopes to the same grade as the interstate so much of the lower floors of the deck would be hidden depending on how it is designed. It would most likely be similar to Atlantic Station elevating that area to the same height as Hank Aaron Drive/Fulton I would assume. The deck while appearing from the interstate as being several levels will not be so from street level depending on the number of floors. At the lowest land elevation, they could probably build a 3 or 4 level deck into that area and it would only reach street height on Fulton.

The street along the left actually runs under Fulton street and that whole area is not pleasant at all as it is sunken and trapped between the interstate, the ramps for 20 & Fulton street on the right and then is 25-35’ below the grade of Fulton street on the north end. Ideal for a hidden parking deck which whether you like or not is much needed by GSU commuters plus attendees to the sports facilities existing and planned.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Last edited by Atlriser; May 22, 2019 at 8:32 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 5:14 PM

Surface parking lots, stand-alone parking decks, parking podiums, on-street parking, wrapped parking decks, partially-wrapped parking decks. Got all their bases covered!

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 9:38 PM

When will people in Atlanta (the transit crowd) realize this city is NOT f'ing New York City, Chicago, San Fran, or even Boston for crying out loud.

Besides, when have you ever seen 3 "event centers" (a football and baseball stadium and a basketball arena) within rock-throwing distance of each other and there NOT be a ton of parking?

GSU is still largely a commuter school - unlike Georgia Tech. Get real people.

Again, if you want your projects green-lighted by the banking industry, you just might have to provide so DAMN parking in these southern states.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 1:19 AM

Permit filed for 565 Hank Aaron Drive -

"Land development and infrastructure for 312 unit multi-family building, 2 retails spaces and 7-level parking deck."

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLMidcity View Post
When will people in Atlanta (the transit crowd) realize this city is NOT f'ing New York City, Chicago, San Fran, or even Boston for crying out loud.

Besides, when have you ever seen 3 "event centers" (a football and baseball stadium and a basketball arena) within rock-throwing distance of each other and there NOT be a ton of parking?

GSU is still largely a commuter school - unlike Georgia Tech. Get real people.

Again, if you want your projects green-lighted by the banking industry, you just might have to provide so DAMN parking in these southern states.

there is too much parking in atlanta, period. downtown atlanta alone has 93,000 spots, about as many as downtown houston (which has as much office space as downtown and midtown atlanta combined) and also notably more than downtown dallas.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
there is too much parking in atlanta, period. downtown atlanta alone has 93,000 spots, about as many as downtown houston (which has as much office space as downtown and midtown atlanta combined) and also notably more than downtown dallas.
You have an expansive view of the true boundaries of downtown. Have Central Atlanta Progress consulted with you concerning their expanded powers of influence in an area that clearly is south of I-20?
The media often confuses downtown and Midtown as one, but old Turner Field was never really downtown.

Houston has a ton of surface parking lots, no heavy rail line and a measly light rail routes running less than 8 miles. So how in hell do they get all those office workers into downtown? Oh, I know... Helicopters

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 10:39 AM

In addition to the office space in Downtown, parking has to be provided for all the government buildings.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 11:35 PM

Wood’s Chapel now open

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:32 PM

The first townhomes have broken ground.

https://twitter.com/mckayWSB/status/1143502283373764608

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
The first townhomes have broken ground.

https://twitter.com/mckayWSB/status/1143502283373764608
Went by Georgia ave yesterday around 5, only thing that was open was little tart. Everyone was trying to go to Wood's Chapel or Big Softie. Both closed when they said online they were open. Not cool!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjhajek View Post
Went by Georgia ave yesterday around 5, only thing that was open was little tart. Everyone was trying to go to Wood's Chapel or Big Softie. Both closed when they said online they were open. Not cool!
I saw a tweet on this. They decided to close yesterday to recover from a very busy opening week.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
I saw a tweet on this. They decided to close yesterday to recover from a very busy opening week.
As a neighbor that’s not good, if you can’t be consistent, don’t expect those around you to be a consistent visitor. Already a bad omen if you ask one of the potential regular customers....

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 11:08 PM

Y'all chill out. They posted it on Twitter a day in advance. They've been open less than a week, give them a break.

https://twitter.com/woodschapelbbq/s...80923764727808

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pica View Post
Y'all chill out. They posted it on Twitter a day in advance. They've been open less than a week, give them a break.

https://twitter.com/woodschapelbbq/s...80923764727808
I went for much on Sunday and they were great. Still working out some ordering kinks, which is to be expected of a new restaurant, but service was speedy once ordered. Management swung by the table and encouraged feedback. All around a great experience there and I encourage others to try it out themselves. The team behind the restaurant is one of the best in Atlanta, IMO, and I am glad to see them expanding with different concepts in different neighborhoods throughout the city.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 12:22 PM

^ I was there for lunch Sunday too. I agree the ordering process was a little slow, but the food came out really fast. I think this place will be a hit. Unfortunately Big Softie didn't open until 2PM, so I didn't get to try it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta