HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 3:33 AM

[IMG]Future Location Arts Thompson by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]

Went into my archives to find this picture. Probably dated about 5 years ago. This will be my before image and will continue to do updates from this location.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 5:27 PM

They're removing powerlines.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 9:52 PM

Really can't wait for this one to get of the ground also, such a cool building & awesome hotel. The other Thompson hotels are in great cities, SA is definitely in that mix!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 2:29 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
[IMG]Future Location Arts Thompson by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]

Went into my archives to find this picture. Probably dated about 5 years ago. This will be my before image and will continue to do updates from this location.
Raul, the building is going to be larger than your old photo provides for. I think it's great that you're doing this. You might want to consider taking another wider (and/or taller) photo to accommodate the space the building will take up (if you care).

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 1:33 AM

Lighting at night

So, it looks like the Thompson will be lit up at night with a double neon light atop the building

Looks like the lighting will be white, according to a pic I saw in an advertisement in May's issue of the Commemorative Issue of the San Antonio Magazine

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 3:53 PM

With one day left in the month, I was right. I said mid to end of month in putting a crane. Looks like that is happening today. This project is going fast. And the powerlines look dead.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 7:36 PM

Add another Crane to the Downtown Lineup

You are right Fryguy, looks like they are installing the crane as I type. This is just a screen capture from the DC Partners Website.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 8:35 PM
JACKinBeantown

Interesting that they're installing the crane when they still seem to have a lot of excavation work to do.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Interesting that they're installing the crane when they still seem to have a lot of excavation work to do.

JackinBeantown, do you have experience in building highrises? I just want another crane downtown!

Last edited by AwesomeSAView; May 1, 2018 at 1:08 AM.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
JackinBeantown, do you have experience in building highrises? I just want another crane downtown!
It's still interesting (as are other aspects of building high rises) whether or not he has experience.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Think apartment building...these buildings have to go fast, unless the Frost, which is partly because it was a city partnership, sadly. I mean, 5-6 months before we even saw a floor go up? Umm. Okay. This might be the first fast faced high rise in quite sometime, similar to many of the building going up in Austin.

Though, I am really surprised by the pace of the Canopy. Then again, it's on the River.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 12:23 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
No.

(edit): The only experience I have is studying architecture for some time at UT after three years of architectural drafting in high school, plus years watching buildings go up on this forum and learning from those in the know, visiting several sites in person, looking through fences at construction sites for several years when I lived in New York City, and doing some work on much smaller buildings. But no, I have zero practical experience in being on site and participating in the building of highrises. Why do you ask?

Last edited by JACKinBeantown; May 3, 2018 at 1:22 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
Think apartment building...these buildings have to go fast, unless the Frost, which is partly because it was a city partnership, sadly. I mean, 5-6 months before we even saw a floor go up? Umm. Okay. This might be the first fast faced high rise in quite sometime, similar to many of the building going up in Austin.

Though, I am really surprised by the pace of the Canopy. Then again, it's on the River.
I agree.
I always wonder about the QUALITY of those apartment high rises that are going up a dime a dozen in Austin. I guess I have to go inside one of those apartments or condos to find out.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 5:30 PM

I'm starting to get addicted to the construction cam with all the activity.

http://dcpartnersusa.com/properties/thompson/

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 8:06 PM

Everyone, rejoice! For a new crane has risen...

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDG91 View Post
Everyone, rejoice! For a new crane has risen...

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 4:23 AM

It’s nice to see some vertical action downtown. I’m thinking it’s only going to increase from here on out. San Antonio will probably never have the skyline height of other Texas cities, but itll be nice to see any new highrises go up in San Antonio to build up some density.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 4:29 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy View Post
It’s nice to see some vertical action downtown. I’m thinking it’s only going to increase from here on out. San Antonio will probably never have the skyline height of other Texas cities

Agreed. I do think San Antonio will get a handful of 300-500 foot towers in the near future if the half dozen or so hotel, office, civic, and residential towers currently under construction, under renovation, or in development between 200-400 feet succeed.

Also, it'd be nice to get something over 500 feet in the next decade.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Agreed. I do think San Antonio will get a handful of 300-500 foot towers in the near future if the half dozen or so hotel, office, civic, and residential towers currently under construction, under renovation, or in development between 200-400 feet succeed.

Yup. As long as there’s a nice mix of high rises from 300-500 feet, it’ll fill in the skyline quite nicely. It would be nice to see something over 600ft for sure.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post

I definitely think there will be some sort of residential boom. Most likely not to the extent of Austin, but if the units in this building were 40% sold at presale, and the Cellars seems to be doing decent... I'd assume theres a market for people with that kind of budget.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio