HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1321  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 10:07 PM
ILUVSAT's Avatar
ILUVSAT ILUVSAT is offline
May the Schwartz be w/ U!
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: S.A. | Nashville
Posts: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post
A buddy of mine said Air Canada added and pulled out of Austin three times before they finally were successful.
That buddy is incorrect. AC pulled out of AUS once prior to their current service. That flight is now mainline & doing quite well. Good enough that WestJet has announced plans to fly from AUS to Calgary starting in a few months.

WestJet is a Delta partner and is also adding flights to PDX. Both AUS & PDX are on Delta's short-term radar & it seems that the rumors may be slowly coming to fruition...AUS is going to be built into a DL Focus City & then into a small hub.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1322  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 12:27 AM
SAhometown SAhometown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 52
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan101 View Post
Really happy to see SAT hit 10 million. The jump from 2017 pax numbers is outstanding. On a sad note looks like we lost Air Canada service. Toronto route ends in October.
Maybe that is is an error. On the oag update it shows an extension of service from May thru OCT with both May and OCT going from near daily to daily. That is if I am reading it right. Also on Air Canada website non-stop service is bookable until April 28th.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1323  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 7:44 AM
SAhometown SAhometown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAhometown View Post
Maybe that is is an error. On the oag update it shows an extension of service from May thru OCT with both May and OCT going from near daily to daily. That is if I am reading it right. Also on Air Canada website non-stop service is bookable until April 28th.
Seems I did read it wrong. Website has been updated. April 28th is the last non stop
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1324  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 3:34 PM
Tornado Tornado is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAhometown View Post
Seems I did read it wrong. Website has been updated. April 28th is the last non stop
It's disappointing to see but I'm not too surprised. I care more about our non-stop domestics than international flights to Canada or Europe.

I'm sure this question has been answered previously but when will see a complete tear down and rebuild of Terminal A? Taller ceilings and a wider concourse would make a world of difference in there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1325  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 5:25 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
It's disappointing to see but I'm not too surprised. I care more about our non-stop domestics than international flights to Canada or Europe.
Toronto is actually 300+ miles closer to San Antonio than Boston or Seattle are. Toronto is essentially domestic flight. Just ask Kawhi Leonard.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1326  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 5:36 PM
Tornado Tornado is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Toronto is actually 300+ miles closer to San Antonio than Boston or Seattle are. Toronto is essentially domestic flight. Just ask Kawhi Leonard.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1327  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 5:26 PM
texastarkus texastarkus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Far Sub-Urban San Antonio
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
That buddy is incorrect. AC pulled out of AUS once prior to their current service. That flight is now mainline & doing quite well. Good enough that WestJet has announced plans to fly from AUS to Calgary starting in a few months.

WestJet is a Delta partner and is also adding flights to PDX. Both AUS & PDX are on Delta's short-term radar & it seems that the rumors may be slowly coming to fruition...AUS is going to be built into a DL Focus City & then into a small hub.

The first time Air Canada tried was in 2003-2004. Daily arrived around noon - on an A-320 - ground handled by United (before merger w/CA) on a United gate - pre-cleared customs in Canada.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1328  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 4:14 AM
SAinthe21stC SAinthe21stC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 24
Even if SAT may be losing Toronto. The airport has seen sizable increases in the last year. To include increases in capacity, frequency and multiple non-stops added. As part of their expansion plans, they have to add gates and/or another terminal in the short-term by 2023 to keep pace with growth. We have already had positive announcements made this year with Alaska, Sun Country and Interjet adding or increasing service. I can't wait to see what new options will be announced for SAT in 2019!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1329  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 5:05 PM
texboy texboy is offline
constructor extrodinaire!
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,343
The Air Canada Announcement doesn't surprise me honestly, and really, does it matter? Toronto really is just a connection hub to Europe (for SA at least) and SA already has plenty of those on US Flagged carriers. I have a feeling they will be back in the future though. For now SA should focus on increasing capacity on their domestic and MX routes and getting that damn Boston route! 2019 is already shaping up nicely.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1330  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 8:56 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,397
I'd love that damned Boston route.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1331  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 6:39 PM
OfCourse's Avatar
OfCourse OfCourse is offline
robert die katze
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington, DC | Harlingen, TX
Posts: 1,309
In addition to Air Canada, Frontier is also dropping routes: https://www.expressnews.com/business...n-13578924.php
__________________
"Occasionally I think about doing something to change my situation, but where am I going to get hold of a stealth bomber?"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1332  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 9:14 PM
Runner Runner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 62
Instead of moving forward we're heading south. Only in SA so sad!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1333  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 11:13 PM
UltraDanPrime's Avatar
UltraDanPrime UltraDanPrime is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 157
The article said Frontier is decreasing non stops out of Austin & San Jose. So, no not only in SA.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1334  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 9:00 PM
SAinthe21stC SAinthe21stC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 24
While it is disappointing to hear this news. Aside from Air Canada's flight, the rest of the cancellations are coming from Frontier Airlines which won't occur until later this year.
Frontier's cancellations are happening to dozens of other cities across the country including Austin, San Jose and Cincinnati.
The second thing to note is that most of the destinations are seasonal, infrequently serviced routes for mostly leisure travelers.
From reading recent articles on this news it is noted that SAT officials aren't overly worried for a number of reasons including only losing about 1.5% seating capacity of total capacity from these flights.
They are already working on other options to Canada and recouping some of the destinations serviced by Frontier with other airlines and should continue to announce news flights/routes during 2019. SAT will continue to passenger growth records broken and I cannot wait until they finalize expansion details at least for the short-term to most likely open another terminal before 2023 among other details.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1335  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 10:53 PM
ILUVSAT's Avatar
ILUVSAT ILUVSAT is offline
May the Schwartz be w/ U!
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: S.A. | Nashville
Posts: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAinthe21stC View Post
SAT will continue to passenger growth records broken and I cannot wait until they finalize expansion details at least for the short-term to most likely open another terminal before 2023 among other details.
I wouldn't hold your breath on any sort of new terminal(s) by 2023. It's not necessary. SAT is not at full capacity yet. The airport's advisory committee commissioned a study which was completed last October. In that, they found SAT should reach 80% capacity in 2023 and require an additional 11 gates by 2038 - and a total of 63 gates by 2068.

Obviously, should the airport grow faster, they will need infrastructure much sooner. But, do not expect a new terminal by 2023. SAT needs to show that last year was not an aberration. It has never seen growth like that.


https://therivardreport.com/study-ex...g-san-antonio/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1336  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 1:53 AM
SAinthe21stC SAinthe21stC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
I wouldn't hold your breath on any sort of new terminal(s) by 2023. It's not necessary. SAT is not at full capacity yet. The airport's advisory committee commissioned a study which was completed last October. In that, they found SAT should reach 80% capacity in 2023 and require an additional 11 gates by 2038 - and a total of 63 gates by 2068.

Obviously, should the airport grow faster, they will need infrastructure much sooner. But, do not expect a new terminal by 2023. SAT needs to show that last year was not an aberration. It has never seen growth like that.


https://therivardreport.com/study-ex...g-san-antonio/
Well even if we don't see a new terminal. SAT would need to invest in other infrastructure, such as possible new runways by 2023 as stated by airport officials. If 30 consecutive months of passenger growth is any indication. We are more likely to see similar positive growth in 2019.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1337  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 2:26 AM
AI0120 AI0120 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
AA adding a second daily flight to Miami.

Beginning May 6 on an E175
Departs SAT 11:30 am arrives MIA 3:45 pm
Departs MIA 8:35 am arrives SAT 10:50 am
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1338  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 11:11 PM
ILUVSAT's Avatar
ILUVSAT ILUVSAT is offline
May the Schwartz be w/ U!
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: S.A. | Nashville
Posts: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAinthe21stC View Post
...such as possible new runways by 2023 as stated by airport officials. If 30 consecutive months of passenger growth is any indication. We are more likely to see similar positive growth in 2019.
SAT does not need new "runways" by 2023. If anything, they should look into extending one or both of them - not build additional ones. I'll give you this - one or both may need to be resurfaced in the near future.

Yes, 30 consecutive months of growth is outstanding. But, let's taper those expectations. We have seen substantial (double-digit) Y-O-Y growth for only a few of those months. And after 30 consecutive months of growth, we're only barely over 10 million passengers - with available capacity in the current layout.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1339  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 12:17 AM
Rynetwo Rynetwo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
SAT does not need new "runways" by 2023. If anything, they should look into extending one or both of them - not build additional ones. I'll give you this - one or both may need to be resurfaced in the near future.

Yes, 30 consecutive months of growth is outstanding. But, let's taper those expectations. We have seen substantial (double-digit) Y-O-Y growth for only a few of those months. And after 30 consecutive months of growth, we're only barely over 10 million passengers - with available capacity in the current layout.
I know people in San Antonio hate when service center job announcements come up, but they have a large impact on corporate travel. Our company moved their outside sales out of Irvine, CA and most of that capacity came here. They have quarterly meetings of 300 people from across the country that fly in for planning.

Thinking of PenFed. (Not sure why I quoted you)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1340  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 1:25 AM
SAinthe21stC SAinthe21stC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
SAT does not need new "runways" by 2023. If anything, they should look into extending one or both of them - not build additional ones. I'll give you this - one or both may need to be resurfaced in the near future.

Yes, 30 consecutive months of growth is outstanding. But, let's taper those expectations. We have seen substantial (double-digit) Y-O-Y growth for only a few of those months. And after 30 consecutive months of growth, we're only barely over 10 million passengers - with available capacity in the current layout.
Alright, relax. I’m just trying point out that we should still see continued and sustained growth for a while in spite of the recent cancellations. You don’t need dissect every word. You win.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:34 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.