HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Dec 25, 2018, 6:09 PM
Meh

So...I was poking around on my old computer moving some files over to my new one, mostly my photos and some that I'd saved including renderings of highrise projects. Anyway, I came across the building elevations for the Grand Hyatt that I'd saved on the forum from years ago. If anyone is interested, I can email it to you. I don't think they're available online anymore on San Antonio's city website. It's a PDF file of one page from the building's site plan that shows the building elevation (with the heights). Send me a message with your email addy, and I'll send it to you.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 2:11 PM

To me the thing with term limits is that there aren’t very many of these city manager positions that come open all of the time.

So, a wise city manager likely won’t be planning to spend the whole 8 years here. If the new city manager is in year 4 or 5 of their term and the City Manager position comes up in Dallas or Phoenix, they will probably jump ship if they have the chance, even if it’s a lateral move from a salary/responsibility perspective. Then we have to start moving up our second and third string folks, who aren’t bad people, but by definition weren’t our first choice.

Just seems so short sighted, but (sigh) welcome to San Antonio.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 3:39 AM

Aaf= san antonio commanders

Did anyone see the San Diego Fleet vs San Antonio Commanders AAF inaugural game???
Wow, what a game and on national TV too!!
Once again, great exposure for the best city in Texas!!
I think this new league is going to stick for awhile!

Another pro sports team for SA

MLS???? nahhhh

GO COMMANDERS!!!!

Come on naysayers, give me what you have!!!!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 11:53 AM

I went to the game & enjoyed it alot! Quality football & a great crowd. I believe SA had the highest attendance of all the AAF games at just under 28,000. Hopefully that grows as the season goes on! Ya never know who's paying attention.

Also I heard the TV broadcast had more viewership than the Oklahoma City, Houston NBA game that was on nationally at the same time. Pretty cool.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
Did anyone see the San Diego Fleet vs San Antonio Commanders AAF inaugural game???
Wow, what a game and on national TV too!!
Once again, great exposure for the best city in Texas!!
I think this new league is going to stick for awhile!

Another pro sports team for SA

MLS???? nahhhh

GO COMMANDERS!!!!

Come on naysayers, give me what you have!!!!
The AAF has some major backing, unlike previous "pro" leagues that SA has been a part of. They might be a player in coming years, and the contract with CBS doesn't hurt either.

I thought the coaching staff made some questionable play calls starting around five minutes left in the fourth. They had a chance to keep the clock running, and opted to pass on first and second down at the Fleet fifteen. Run the ball there, and the clock keeps running. But the defense held up, and the Commanders got the win, so I'll take it.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 12:54 PM
JACKinBeantown

Is there a reason the team names sound so military? Before I looked it up, I thought maybe AAF stood for Army/Air Force.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Is there a reason the team names sound so military? Before I looked it up, I thought maybe AAF stood for Army/Air Force.
They were trying to make the team names relevant to the markets the teams are in. With San Antonio's large military presence and of course the Alamo, they went with Commanders. With San Diego having a large Navy and Marine presence, it was the Fleet. The Memphis team name is the Express (think FedEx) and Atlanta is Legends because they've produced a lot of sports superstars? I guess that's what they were going for...

Not sure the relevance of the other names to their markets, but that was the goal of naming each team the way they did.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 6:01 PM
JACKinBeantown

^^ (like button)

I get the appeal to the military people, whom I respect and am thankful to for their service, but I like San Antonio Spurs and Scorpions better.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
^^ (like button)

I get the appeal to the military people, whom I respect and am thankful to for their service, but I like San Antonio Spurs and Scorpions better.
Let's not forget Rampage. Perhaps they could have shared it with the hockey team. After all, St. Louie had two teams named the Cardinals for awhile.

Anyway, again, congrats on getting their inaugural win. The internet blew up with that one hit to San Diego's quarterback that knocked his helmet clean off, as much for the hit, (it was clean), as the fact no flags were thrown.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 2:09 AM

I like the Commanders name as well as the logo & colors. & of course gotta love the Spurs! But Scorpions? It makes me think of bad 80's hair bands!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:46 PM

Open question - Should we pursue Amazon now?

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/amazon-...y-headquarters

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelTrexler View Post
Open question - Should we pursue Amazon now?

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/amazon-...y-headquarters
The article states that they are not looking for a site for Amazon HQ2, though.

And my vote for SA to pursue Amazon is no.

Maybe Austin still has a chance?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:57 PM

But maybe pursue some 1,000 - 5,000 Amazon jobs....
I am ok with that!

There is a presence already in Austin, maybe they will get more jobs out of this.
Who knows? It is so unclear at this point!

GO SPURS GO!!!
GO COMMANDERS!!!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 5:35 AM

Shout-out to XYZcoaster for updating SA's city diagram thread. The illustrations are fantastic!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 1:28 AM
JACKinBeantown

I second that. The illustrations look great. Now if someone can please get the heights corrected and the illustrations adjusted accordingly. (The Marriott is nowhere near that tall... I think it's actually 441 feet to the spires, and a few others are listed on this discussion page: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...211992&page=96, mostly by Kevin.)

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 3:03 PM

It took the site being down for me to realize how much I missed hearing complaints about lack of ground floor retail. Welcome back!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 4:44 AM

Hehe, oh retail - in all honestly, with Amazon Prime and all those Food Delivery services, I feel like retail is slowly dying. I mean, apart from getting your haircut or going to a bar/restaurant, it feels like we are witnessing a full decline in brick and mortar shops everywhere. At least, that's what I've noticed here in Berlin. More and more brick and mortar shops are being renovated into residential units when before it was the opposite.
It's just easier to buy things online now.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 1:10 AM

Given what happened today in Paris, I feel more than ever, that we should take significant care of our true historical structures that San Antonio holds. Nothing will last, despite how important we designate them, without significant care. In Texas, San Antonio is known for its cultural and historical significance in its structures - something we need to further acknowledge in how we protect are structures. What further measures might be used to help keep our structures histories intact, should be asked and explored.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
Given what happened today in Paris, I feel more than ever, that we should take significant care of our true historical structures that San Antonio holds. Nothing will last, despite how important we designate them, without significant care. In Texas, San Antonio is known for its cultural and historical significance in its structures - something we need to further acknowledge in how we protect are structures. What further measures might be used to help keep our structures histories intact, should be asked and explored.
I second this, and especially since San Antonio is ONE of a few of America's most historical and unique cities!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
Speaking of, Reyes Bar is open again.

https://saheron.com/after-long-hiatu...lores-reopens/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio