HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by original View Post
But there was a flood... or two! And all that money got washed away.

It's pretty sad considering they had a detour all set up, ready for a interchange to be built. Instead they built a large at grade intersection.
Ah yes...the flood!

Now I realize that under normal circumstances that 15/101 would be nowhere near the top of the priority list for an interchange. But seriously, how long can the province ignore the absolute traffic chaos that is created by the constant trains coming in and out of the CN rail yards, creeping along at 2 km/hr and often coming to a complete stop, blocking off rush hour traffic on 101 and Ravenhurst? I have sat at a train for over half an hour before which is completely unacceptable. Often I am late for work or speeding around the perimeter to try and make it on time because of another @!&#* train. I have seen lineups back all the way up Ravenhurst to Pandora, and up Pandora past the old Palliser building. Once the train finally clears that traffic takes forever to disperse because of course neither Ravenhurst or Dugald have been twinned.

If you ask me, an interchange at 15/101 with a rail overpass included would have been a way better place to put that $70 million or whatever they are spending on that stupid Plessis underpass. Maybe they could've even extended Pandora east to the perimeter with a merge lane onto SB 101 and a flyover from 101 onto Pandora for NB left turning traffic. Then Ravenhurst/Dugald intersection could be completely eliminated.

Sadly my money says I will never see anything done to improve this traffic nightmare in my lifetime.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 5:04 PM

CJOB is announcing today (May 28/14) that design of the 59/101 interchange is starting fall 2014 as well as other work on HWY 59 north

Here is the press release from the Govt

http://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.htm...ve=&item=31125

Last edited by cllew; May 28, 2014 at 5:21 PM. Reason: Press release did not match what CJOB reported.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 5:25 PM

The release says that construction will begin fall 2015 and it will take 3 years... so basically we have almost 5 more years of driving on that abomination of a highway junction. But at least it's finally getting done...

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Approximately $160 million was initially budgeted for PTH 59 work over the next five years, but even more will be allocated to PTH 59 with the completion of the PTH 59/PTH 101 interchange in the five-year period, the premier said. The project will see design and tendering take place over this year, with planned construction beginning in the fall of 2015 and completed over a three-year period, he said, adding the size of the interchange project is similar to CentrePort Canada Way and will be constructed along much the same timelines.
Ugh... 2018?

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 5:37 PM

Hey construction beginning in basically one year is pretty damn good if you ask me! Can't expect it to happen in one year.

So the drawing they posted shows structure rehab and proposed structures at 59/101. So I'm assuming they will only be rehabbing the existing fly-over and not completely replacing it? Which is fine. I think, it say it is an ongoing/completed project. It'll be nice if they come out with some type of open house or something in the near future. If they're going to be completing detailed design, I would assume again this will happen sooner than later.

Hopefully no more floods happen!

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 5:43 PM

And they say the interchange project will cost more than the $160M already set aside for the rest of the Hwy 59 upgrades?! A cloverleaf style interchange. Sounding more and more like there will be interchange at PR 202 and maybe Garven, as was previously discussed on here. I don't see how one cloverleaf can cost more than $160M.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 5:59 PM

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...260961551.html

Province says plan for new intersection for Hwy. 59 and Perimeter moving forward
Posted: 12:19 PM

Twenty years later the province is finally going to finish the interchange at Highway 59 and the north Perimeter Highway.

The project, announced by Premier Greg Selinger this morning, will take about five years and cost more than the $160 million already set aside for other improvements to Hwy. 59, including a new intersection at the Grand Beach turnoff currently underway.

Planning for the interchange at the north Perimeter is in its early stages, and could involve a cloverleaf-style intersection in which a twinned Perimeter Highway crosses over Hwy. 59.

Currently, depending on the direction of travel, traffic using both highways has to stop at one of two traffic lights.

When the north Perimeter Highway was built the original plan called for a full interchange, but the project ran out of funding.

It has since become the busiest intersection in the province outside the city because of increasing truck traffic and residential and commercial development. Hwy. 59 is also the only route to cottage country on the east side of Lake Winnipeg.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 6:49 PM

Wow. If they're spending $160M on this one interchange, then I certainly hope they'll be replacing that 50 year old EB to NB ramp.

This has to be the most repeatedly announced (and then postponed) interchange in Canada. I'm optimistic that they'll get it done given that the province recently built an interchange for the first time in forever, but this isn't the first time that 101/59 has been announced with timelines and design work details, etc.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Wow. If they're spending $160M on this one interchange, then I certainly hope they'll be replacing that 50 year old EB to NB ramp.

This has to be the most repeatedly announced (and then postponed) interchange in Canada. I'm optimistic that they'll get it done given that the province recently built an interchange for the first time in forever, but this isn't the first time that 101/59 has been announced with timelines and design work details, etc.
I have a really good feeling this time it'll go ahead. There's my optimism shining through! But if the FreeP report is right about it costing more than all the other upgrades together, I would sure hope they replace the old bridge. Here's hoping for some more shiny pictures in the near future.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 11:19 AM

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...261044911.html

Hwy. 59 interchange job to start

Long-promised connector finally coming: Selinger

It's been on the books since at least 1987 but has always stayed more a promise than a reality. Until now.

Premier Greg Selinger said the province will finally finish the interchange where Highway 59 meets the Perimeter Highway northeast of the city. Actual construction is to start in the fall of 2015 and be open to traffic three years later.

Selinger said what's different now is the province has the money to finish what couldn't be done before, thanks in part to the one-point increase to the PST last year. The government has said revenue from the tax increase will go toward major infrastructure projects.

"We have the resources and we have the commitment to build infrastructure and we have the public saying this is a priority for them," Selinger said.

The province says over the last decade the intersection has become the busiest in the province outside the city. The increase includes rising truck traffic and commercial and residential development in the area, including a proposed Walmart store on a 19-hectare parcel of land at the southwest corner of the Perimeter Highway and Lagimodiere Boulevard. Lagimodiere and Highway 59 are also one of the main routes for cottagers on the east side of Lake Winnipeg.

The project is part of five-year plan to upgrade Highway 59 to Grand Beach, including a new intersection at the Grand Beach turnoff currently underway, and will cost more than the $160 million that's already been set aside for the highway's improvements. The final price for the interchange has not been finalized.

"The interchange is huge from a safety point of view," Selinger said, adding it will include an "active transportation" component for cyclists and pedestrians -- not just cars and trucks.

"It makes sense to do it all at once," he said. "It's more cost-effective and it's more serviceable to the people in the community."

Public consultations on the interchange are to start this fall.

"It's the provincial equivalent of Confusion Corner (the Osborne Street junction) and it's going to be corrected and everybody should be happy with that," Manitoba Heavy Construction Association president Chris Lorenc said.

Lance Vigfusson, assistant deputy minister of infrastructure and transportation, said the interchange will either be a cloverleaf design or a diamond interchange common on the U.S. interstate system. A full cloverleaf, similar to the existing cloverleaf interchanges at Highways 8 and 7, could cost as much as $200 million and a diamond interchange could cost about $150 million.

Busiest intersection outside of the city and they are even considering a diamond? C'mon...

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
Lance Vigfusson, assistant deputy minister of infrastructure and transportation, said the interchange will either be a cloverleaf design or a diamond interchange common on the U.S. interstate system. A full cloverleaf, similar to the existing cloverleaf interchanges at Highways 8 and 7, could cost as much as $200 million and a diamond interchange could cost about $150 million.

Busiest intersection outside of the city and they are even considering a diamond? C'mon...
The fact that a diamond is even in play is troubling. We're talking two very busy major primary highways here... the whole point is to eliminate conflicts and to keep traffic moving safely and quickly.

A diamond at 100/2 was already pushing it, but putting one at 101/59 would be a flat-out bad idea.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 1:26 PM

I would hope they have an open house and the public outcry is too loud for them to put in a diamond. That would just be stupid.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 1:30 PM

If this improvement is being built like the rest of Manitoba's road improvements to interstate standards, then we get a diamond interchange.

I am basing this on the comment from the article that diamonds are commonly found on interstate highways.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 1:59 PM

It just wouldn't make sense. Put up a diamond at the Perimeter so traffic on Lag has to stop. But then a mile north at PR 202, put up a diamond so traffic on Lag is free flow? I would assume that would be part of the $150-$200M price tag.

Again, seems stupid.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 3:19 PM

What are they doing at the "intersection" where 59 turns off into Grand Beach? if they really want to improve driving conditions to the east beaches, they need to work with the feds and the Reserve and twin 59 all the way.

Spending money on Grand Beach would be nice too rather than their "quaint" ideas they have now (like tearing down what was once a bustling restaurant/lounge/motel with an out door patio overlooking the lake and putting in its place, a few picnic tables.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 6:10 PM

In the press release, the twinning of 59 was slid in under the future works category, along with structure rehab at the floodway. And that's not even all the way to Grand beach, only to the south junction of Hwy 12.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
What are they doing at the "intersection" where 59 turns off into Grand Beach? if they really want to improve driving conditions to the east beaches, they need to work with the feds and the Reserve and twin 59 all the way.

Spending money on Grand Beach would be nice too rather than their "quaint" ideas they have now (like tearing down what was once a bustling restaurant/lounge/motel with an out door patio overlooking the lake and putting in its place, a few picnic tables.
I blame the folks who have cabins in Grand Marais for that. Person who was leasing the hotel wanted to make improvements but the province wouldn't allow it because the local yokels didn't want to deal with noise at night from the restaurant/bar.

Very selfish.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 2:04 PM

NIMBY does not just exist in Winnipeg.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
I blame the folks who have cabins in Grand Marais for that. Person who was leasing the hotel wanted to make improvements but the province wouldn't allow it because the local yokels didn't want to deal with noise at night from the restaurant/bar.

Very selfish.
Wasn't the person leasing the hote, Potenza, of Potenza pizza fame? I also heard he (or someone else) held the lease on boardwalk consessions. A couple of years ago there was a dispute and the consessions remained closed. Like...can you imagine that happening at any US beach tourist attraction?

Im not sure the property owners in Grand Marais would care much about the Surf Club as its quite far. I believe it was the Grand Beach cottagers that had the issue. They also forced Potenza to close his patio early I believe (the pizza joint is in Grand Marais but right along the border of the park). Anyone who remembers Grand Marais and Grand Beach from a few years ago where there was activity an d hustle and bustle til 2 am all weekend is likely disheartened to see it now. Its had a resurchence in cottage goers in the sense there is more people there now (seems like the old timers died off and their "kids" are now taking over) with a lot of renos and new builds. But its a sleepy town and not the resort town it could/should be.

Sorry, off topic.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 3:47 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
NIMBY does not just exist in Winnipeg.
It also goes out to the lake on the weekends.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan