HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 12:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Is creating a hellish wind tunnel on Graham and Hargraves part of the plan to drive people into the square? I never noticed on the renderings that there's zero setback on those towers.
A bit off topic, but I just realized Fidel Castro passed away last year. I knew he was ill for years, but I must have not heard the news that he finally died to old age. Little do newbies know, but Biguc has had Fidel Castro avatars since 2004. The first avatar Biguc had was a smiling Castro with a cigar in his mouth. Biguc changed it a year later to his present avatar a year later, and it has remained the same.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 1:10 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
A bit off topic, but I just realized Fidel Castro passed away last year. I knew he was ill for years, but I must have not heard the news that he finally died to old age. Little do newbies know, but Biguc has had Fidel Castro avatars since 2004. The first avatar Biguc had was a smiling Castro with a cigar in his mouth. Biguc changed it a year later to his present avatar a year later, and it has remained the same.
I remembered his original avatar, but just barely.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
I am optimistic as well. Hoping it translates to decent paying jobs )which of late we have lost plenty of) and the increased demand for more office space.
I know several people in tech companies in startups in other cities in Canada - it almost seems like people away from here are more excited than Winnipeggers. I don't think the average person really grasps how big this could be. If they keep the tax incentives the way they are for tech companies here right now... We should see a LOT of change.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 4:26 AM
What could go wrong?

....new page, bam....up all night baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I know several people in tech companies in startups in other cities in Canada - it almost seems like people away from here are more excited than Winnipeggers. I don't think the average person really grasps how big this could be. If they keep the tax incentives the way they are for tech companies here right now... We should see a LOT of change.
Yeah, or we could just wait for oil to be discovered under Portage & main

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 6:47 AM

or we could discover water...

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 10:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
or we could discover water...
I think the military will be the next big thing in Winnipeg. I'm all for building up our air force, and expanding our military bases.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 10:23 AM
BANNED

I cannot believe how big this fucker's going to get in a few months.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It's happening already. I work in this sector and am downtown with partners and clients regularly. Skilled workforce, an unusual culture of cooperation between the larger and smaller firms, historically strong programs at our Unis and RRC and an active recruitment strategy. So long as the province pays little attention to it we ought to see sustained growth over the next few years, all the way to critical mass.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkawall View Post
It's happening already. I work in this sector and am downtown with partners and clients regularly. Skilled workforce, an unusual culture of cooperation between the larger and smaller firms, historically strong programs at our Unis and RRC and an active recruitment strategy. So long as the province pays little attention to it we ought to see sustained growth over the next few years, all the way to critical mass.
that is fantastic to hear. I spent many years working on economic development initiatives related basically to the "old economy". this stuff is more exciting in many ways.

I can see why Winnipeg would be a great place to locate a tech company. I had breakfast last week with two architects from Toronto, and they were absolutely blown away by the Exchange District.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 2:07 AM

Are the cranes at their permanent height or will they be increased once more?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 2:44 PM

Check out the new rendering of the hotel on page two of the PDF linked in below. Much different than the first design. It also doesn't make any mention of condos, just "hotel and retail".

http://www.truenorthsquare.com/wp-co...s_brochure.pdf

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 2:51 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by factis View Post
Check out the new rendering of the hotel on page two of the PDF linked in below. Much different than the first design. It also doesn't make any mention of condos, just "hotel and retail".

http://www.truenorthsquare.com/wp-co...s_brochure.pdf
This was from the original renderings that surfaced when there was the whole fiasco about Bowman, Chipman, and the 220 Carlton site. I like that one more but the drawings that appear on the website are the most recent we have. Since Northland Properties owns the parcel now, it's likely that that will change substantially from what is depicted in both versions of the rendering.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
This was from the original renderings that surfaced when there was the whole fiasco about Bowman, Chipman, and the 220 Carlton site. I like that one more but the drawings that appear on the website are the most recent we have. Since Northland Properties owns the parcel now, it's likely that that will change substantially from what is depicted in both versions of the rendering.
My bad. I didn't remember seeing that rendering before so I thought it was new. That design also seemed to be a lot more cohesive with the other two towers going up in the square.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 9:34 PM
BANNED

I feel so much pride that this project is getting built in my hometown. This is probably the largest downtown project built in my lifetime, and it will make downtown more vibrant, and have amazing spin-off effects on other businesses.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
that is fantastic to hear. I spent many years working on economic development initiatives related basically to the "old economy". this stuff is more exciting in many ways.

I can see why Winnipeg would be a great place to locate a tech company. I had breakfast last week with two architects from Toronto, and they were absolutely blown away by the Exchange District.
Had a client in from Regina that has several businesses there, and has travelled the world... he said he never had much great to say about Winnipeg (admitting Regina was the world's a$$hole), but his trip here last week for Bruno Mars completely changed his opinion.

"There was stuff going on everywhere, the Exchange District is amazing, and it's crazy to see all development happening elsewhere in downtown. I will be coming back a lot more now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I heard from someone inside that the "current" renderings mean essentially nothing and they were just quickly whipped up for press, and will change quite a bit.

Quote:
I feel so much pride that this project is getting built in my hometown. This is probably the largest downtown project built in my lifetime, and it will make downtown more vibrant, and have amazing spin-off effects on other businesses.
Agreed. Portage Place might be "bigger" - but in terms of lasting, multi-use developments downtown... don't know if anything this big has ever happened. Maybe The Forks coming into existence... but it's a very long process as we all know.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Unsure of what age you are.
Historically for Winnipeg,
I believe I am correct...
True North Square... as long as Sutton Hotel and condos get built, is about as large impact wise as was Lakeview Square and the Convention centre in 1973 / 1974 and Portage Place plus all the residential in 1987 / 1988
Hopefully this fabulous mixed use project leverages many more developments nearby. I am excited about this.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 10:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Unsure of what age you are.
Historically for Winnipeg,
I believe I am correct...
True North Square... as long as Sutton Hotel and condos get built, is about as large impact wise as was Lakeview Square and the Convention centre in 1973 / 1974 and Portage Place plus all the residential in 1987 / 1988
Hopefully this fabulous mixed use project leverages many more developments nearby. I am excited about this.
The Convention Centre/Lakeview Square was way before my time. I recall the opening of Portage Place as a kid, going to the Imax. They really should have built those condos on the two pads at Portage Place, when they had the chance.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
The Convention Centre/Lakeview Square was way before my time. I recall the opening of Portage Place as a kid, going to the Imax. They really should have built those condos on the two pads at Portage Place, when they had the chance.
The North Portage redevelopment included hundreds of residential units behind the mall attached via skywalk. High rise, mid rise and commercial with CRUs at ground level. The pads on the mall were intended for office and/or hotel, if I recall correctly. Not sure more residential would have made any difference to the success of the project. Frankly, I think they did it right. But even the best designed mega project cant work miracles. True North is exciting, but I doubt it will be a tipping point for downtown. Much more small scale infill and organic development is also needed. It's one piece of the puzzle.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 12:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
The North Portage redevelopment included hundreds of residential units behind the mall attached via skywalk. High rise, mid rise and commercial with CRUs at ground level. The pads on the mall were intended for office and/or hotel, if I recall correctly. Not sure more residential would have made any difference to the success of the project. Frankly, I think they did it right. But even the best designed mega project cant work miracles. True North is exciting, but I doubt it will be a tipping point for downtown. Much more small scale infill and organic development is also needed. It's one piece of the puzzle.
The tipping point came earlier. After years of relative prosperity in the city, the Downtown became ripe for development and construction of a variety of projects. I have no doubt that one of the reasons David Thomson bought into True North, was to buy up land and develop it. With the influx of people, and the relatively affordable housing market, things are going to get better and better for this city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan