HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 1:00 PM

Gang tapped to develop Museum Campus framework plan. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...909-story.html

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Gang tapped to develop Museum Campus framework plan. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...909-story.html
Very exciting, the Museum Campus is really going to be outstanding with the new museum and northerly island.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Extremely exciting news. Gang will surely bring something beautiful and worthy of Chicago to the lakefront museum campus.

And, we will be seeing the Lucas Museum proposal in the coming months!!! Weeeeeeeee.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 4:27 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
But, fine, we'll use Michigan. I get ten census tracts with a pop of 18,348 on .59 sq miles. That's a density of 31,000 per mile.
From which year are you using figures? In your original link, there were 2012 estimates. If you're using 2010 Census numbers, your numbers are even further aged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
I agree that realistic potential density is in the 70's but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
We have been waiting for this to happen since the first cliff dwellers moved into the Hancock.
But 45 years later, the density has barely moved past State street. West of Dearborn it's only around 21,000.
Here's the thing: 45 years ago the area was heavily populated with SROs, which on a per-building basis are pretty dense. Today I only know of one SRO south of Chicago Avenue. It's much like Near North overall - you lost nearly all of the Cabrini Green residents between 2000 and 2010, yet the area still grew somewhat. All of those low-income residents plus more were replaced by market-rate, upper-income residents. Now that nearly all of the lower-income residents are gone, there is no longer an out-flow of residents that new in-flow has to compensate for. For the 2010-2020 timeframe, very nearly 100% of new residents will add to density instead of having to first offset lost density.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
From which year are you using figures? In your original link, there were 2012 estimates. If you're using 2010 Census numbers, your numbers are even further aged.

Here's the thing: 45 years ago the area was heavily populated with SROs, which on a per-building basis are pretty dense. Today I only know of one SRO south of Chicago Avenue. It's much like Near North overall - you lost nearly all of the Cabrini Green residents between 2000 and 2010, yet the area still grew somewhat. All of those low-income residents plus more were replaced by market-rate, upper-income residents. Now that nearly all of the lower-income residents are gone, there is no longer an out-flow of residents that new in-flow has to compensate for. For the 2010-2020 timeframe, very nearly 100% of new residents will add to density instead of having to first offset lost density.
Great point emathias. Cabrini-Green used to have 3600 public housing units with an estimated 15,000 people. Today, the 600 rowhomes remain, with less than 50% occupied and the 3,000 units in the high rise buildings are gone. I believe about 400 public housing replacement units have been built to date. Almost all of the relocation of the residents occured during the 2000s. So it is very likely the Near North will have strong population growth this decade.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 10:42 PM

Metro Corrections Facility

The plaza of the cheese-wedge jail at Van Buren/Clark has fencing all around it. I asked the front desk about it, and they said the whole courtyard would be redone. Not sold to anyone, as far as they know.

With some of the new activity going on around there, I've thought some retail units facing VB might be viable. I'm not sure if they'd really spend the money just to re-landscape that plaza that doesn't get any use.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 11:43 PM
TL;DR

I'm generally in favor of plazas along the L tracks... Otherwise it gets too dark and dank. The plaza does "get use", if only to make the street more pleasant. Van Buren is already the ugliest street downtown, it doesn't need more darkness.

That said, renovations could be really nice.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 1:10 PM

Just cementing the moniker "Windy City" ...

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...ear-north-side
Skydiving without a parachute? It's coming to the Near North Side
September 10, 2014

... 6,000-square-foot building at 1300 N. Halsted St. will include a 12-foot-wide, 35-foot-tall tube in which customers will float atop winds of up to 150 miles per hour, said Stuart Wallock, chief marketing officer of Austin, Texas-based iFLY Holdings LLC, which wants to build and run the facility. The firm opened similar skydiving attractions in Naperville and Rosemont.

iFLY signed a 15-year ground lease for the property at 1300 N. Halsted, currently a parking lot ...

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 1:11 PM

Anyone know anything about Eden Place Nature Center? Looks like they're building a new library at 351 W 43rd Pl. Their current center is at 4417 S Stewart.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 2:01 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
a 12-foot-wide, 35-foot-tall tube in which customers will float atop winds of up to 150 miles per hour
Here's a photo mockup of the design:

Forgotten Chicago

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 2:18 PM

Haha well played ^^

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Here's a photo mockup of the design:

Forgotten Chicago
Wow, I never realized there used a massive train yard on Goose Island.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 3:09 PM

Phase 2 of Flex House was issued a building permit 2 days ago. 16 more townhomes at 2629 N Hamlin.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 6:30 PM

Speaking of plazas near the jail, the federal building on Clark and Jackson is doing some plaza rework on the south side. There used to be some eateries open to the public but seemingly meant for building employees, but they closed a few years ago. I think I've heard that it will be redeveloped as a public facing retail strip? I'll try to track that story down.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Speaking of plazas near the jail, the federal building on Clark and Jackson is doing some plaza rework on the south side. There used to be some eateries open to the public but seemingly meant for building employees, but they closed a few years ago. I think I've heard that it will be redeveloped as a public facing retail strip? I'll try to track that story down.
It was probably pretty hard to justify staffing an entrance with a federal officer and a metal detector just to eat at Great Steak & Potato and Wendy's. And while you were probably pretty safe, the clientele didn't really give off a welcoming vibe.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 9:49 PM

Quote:
24 hours later:

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 10:12 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
24 hours later:

You break it, you buy it.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 3:47 PM
dream fast

All those paver slabs were loose, they would clatter when biking over them.^

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 3:49 PM
dream fast

9/11

Chase branch drive-thru, Chicago & Larrabee

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 8:28 PM

Pretty nice for a bank, fits in ok. That drive through is an abomination.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development