HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 4:03 AM

I am more excited about the old Downtown Deli spot finally being filled.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 3:49 PM

Going downtown tonight to see Elton John. Any recommendations for restaurants for dinner? Will have an 11 year-old with us so family friendly. Appreciate any insights! Thanks

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 5:54 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardsfan View Post
Going downtown tonight to see Elton John. Any recommendations for restaurants for dinner? Will have an 11 year-old with us so family friendly. Appreciate any insights! Thanks
There are so many choice that it's hard to know where to start. The main problem may be finding a table if you don't have a reservation somewhere. I imagine 50,000 other Elton John fans will be wanting to eat before the show as well.

That said, here are some ideas that would probably work well with an eleven-year-old.

Pizzeria Bianco
Blanco Tacos
Arrogant Butcher
Ramen Kagawa
Thai Basil Signature
Cold Beer & Cheeseburgers (inside the ballpark and probably packed)

Edit: Adding a link to this Reddit thread that suggests, based on last night's experience, that everything (restaurants, parking, traffic) will be slammed tonight. Plan accordingly: https://www.reddit.com/r/phoenix/com...ight_go_early/

Last edited by exit2lef; Nov 12, 2022 at 6:54 PM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 5:56 PM
self-important urbanista

The Bitch has Moved

I was riding into Downtown via the new Third Street bike lanes this morning and noticed the absence of the usual crowd outside the Cambria Hotel at 3rd & Portland. Sure enough, they had just a moved a block south and were gathered at 3rd & Roosevelt. Breakfast Bitch's move appears to be complete.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2022, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
There are so many choice that it's hard to know where to start. The main problem may be finding a table if you don't have a reservation somewhere. I imagine 50,000 other Elton John fans will be wanting to eat before the show as well.

That said, here are some ideas that would probably work well with an eleven-year-old.

Pizzeria Bianco
Blanco Tacos
Arrogant Butcher
Ramen Kagawa
Thai Basil Signature
Cold Beer & Cheeseburgers (inside the ballpark and probably packed)

Edit: Adding a link to this Reddit thread that suggests, based on last night's experience, that everything (restaurants, parking, traffic) will be slammed tonight. Plan accordingly: https://www.reddit.com/r/phoenix/com...ight_go_early/
Thanks for the suggestions and it was crowded last night but a great show indeed. Ultimately went to Carcara at the Sheraton and was really good. Great atmosphere as well and recommend.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 2:30 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardsfan View Post
Thanks for the suggestions and it was crowded last night but a great show indeed. Ultimately went to Carcara at the Sheraton and was really good. Great atmosphere as well and recommend.
I'm glad to hear it worked out. Thanks for the update.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 4:37 PM
self-important urbanista

Surprising news that YC's is opening downtown, but what a refreshing attitude:

“Folks near there, they don’t drive. They walk their dogs, ride their bikes. Kids take their scooters.”

Such a welcome contrast with the Chick-fil-A double drive-thru being built a few blocks away.

https://whatnowphoenix.com/ycs-mongo...-phoenix-home/

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 4:53 PM

Quote:

“Folks near there, they don’t drive. They walk their dogs, ride their bikes. Kids take their scooters.”

Such a welcome contrast with the Chick-fil-A double drive-thru being built a few blocks away.

must be the house just north of Cibo's

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 6:48 PM

Quote:

They don't drive? lol, ok I guess he's never tried to park at CIBO or Vig during lunchtime. Sure, it's definitely more walkable than other areas but people still drive to that area and everyone who lives there owns a vehicle.

Also, you can hate on Chick fil-A all you want but I for one can't wait for a cheap salad option (if you haven't tried it, they are very decent). There are zero easy options for a healthy and inexpensive lunch. With inflation, eating out has really become a problem for many. I suspect that CFA is going to be absolutely packed once it opens.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 6:57 PM

Quote:

I was just saying to some friends that downtown could use a YCs. Perfect compliment to the bars - hopefully they're open LATE.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 7:00 PM

IM surprised we haven't seen more chains like this in some of the downtown retail spots. Stuff like a KFC, Burger King, Taco Bell etc.

Not that I necessarily want that but there seems to be a gap in general fast food options downtown.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
IM surprised we haven't seen more chains like this in some of the downtown retail spots. Stuff like a KFC, Burger King, Taco Bell etc.

Not that I necessarily want that but there seems to be a gap in general fast food options downtown.
Every time I've been downtown for a concert or game - every place to eat is full of people with long waits before and after the events. There is so much going on concurrently down there now (I had no idea there was even a fancy dance-club downtown either - complete with line around the block). Definitely feels underserved. Hopefully this stuff comes along with new buildings in the first floor retail. Heck, even add it to AZ Center...

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 7:35 PM
Modulator

I still think AZ Center would be a perfect fit for a fast food mall. Small spaces and really able to draw on ASU students and the after-sports crowd. Not sure why the owners of AZ Center would rather have nothing in there than to attract some cheapo food options. AZ Center is never going to be a high-quality food destination.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 7:56 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post

Also, you can hate on Chick fil-A all you want but I for one can't wait for a cheap salad option (if you haven't tried it, they are very decent). There are zero easy options for a healthy and inexpensive lunch. With inflation, eating out has really become a problem for many. I suspect that CFA is going to be absolutely packed once it opens.
I've said it before, and I guess I'm going to have to say it again: The issue isn't the Chick-fil-A brand. It's the double drive-thru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I still think AZ Center would be a perfect fit for a fast food mall. Small spaces and really able to draw on ASU students and the after-sports crowd. Not sure why the owners of AZ Center would rather have nothing in there than to attract some cheapo food options. AZ Center is never going to be a high-quality food destination.
The Arizona Center had a second floor food court when it first opened, but it was, surprisingly, the first part of the original tenant mix to vanish. It was converted to office space within a few years, even as the rest of the complex remained lively with restaurants and clubs during the '90s.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Especially now that it is full of ASU students, though they have some options on Taylor.

We've discussed before how downtown needs another sports bar and the old Hooters would be good.

I still think a no frills dive bar with TVs for sports watching would be great in downtown. I would love it if the Dirty Drummer or JT's in Arcadia had a spot in downtown. Sometimes you just need a light beer and some wings.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post

I still think a no frills dive bar with TVs for sports watching would be great in downtown. I would love it if the Dirty Drummer or JT's in Arcadia had a spot in downtown. Sometimes you just need a light beer and some wings.
A common concept like this would be great, but I think is priced out of the area. Rent for a space would be too high.

It would work best in an older building of some sort, which are few and far between these days. And any that are existing are feeling the pressure of new development.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
A common concept like this would be great, but I think is priced out of the area. Rent for a space would be too high.

It would work best in an older building of some sort, which are few and far between these days. And any that are existing are feeling the pressure of new development.
Lets be real popular dive bar's aren't dives at all, they just decorate to look that way but They are making plenty of money to pay the rent.

I think a general sports bar with Chicken Wings and burgers and a bunch of light domestic beer, pool tables and wood paneling would go fine downtown, just need to find the right space that makes the numbers pan out.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Lets be real popular dive bar's aren't dives at all, they just decorate to look that way but They are making plenty of money to pay the rent.

I think a general sports bar with Chicken Wings and burgers and a bunch of light domestic beer, pool tables and wood paneling would go fine downtown, just need to find the right space that makes the numbers pan out.
A space I am thinking your description would work nicely in would be something like that Tax Service Bar on 7th Ave & McKinley. But like I said, those types of places are few and far between. I'm also thinking the hipsters wouldn't fully support a typical "dive-y" sports bar.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 8:15 PM

Pop-Up Container Home Project to Help the Homeless Heads to Roosevelt Row First

Temporary use of the NEC of 2nd St and Roosevelt. Model shipping container homes to be displayed during the Super Bowl.

Which reminded me of the proposed Mexican restaurant from Chicago. Is this dead? Was supposed to go in this same corner and I remember PAPP being submitted? Crested?

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...oenix-15226495

Old Posted Jan 29, 2023, 11:46 PM

Signage for the Pomo owned space formerly occupied by Strand in Cityscape went up this weekend. The new restaurant is called Rosso and should be open by the end of February.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ent...t/69836381007/

I'm not sure why my search only produced a url ID'd as a Cinncinnati hosted location. Must be a parent company of the same source used by azcentral:

https://www.azcentral.com/picture-ga...x/11127119002/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest