HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
That's wayyy too many teeth! For me at least.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 6:20 PM

Are the Ozarks the Midwest's own version of Appalachia? Or more of the Midwest's vacation homes?

Coincidentally I started watching The Ozarks, good show so far.

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 6:23 PM

The idea of the Ozarks being "the Midwest" is bizarre to me, having grown up in a Great Lakes state. Arkansas, to me, is mostly Deep South, given the Delta region. Even southern Indiana/Illinois feels like the South.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 6:25 PM
你的媽媽

I mean... I'd be down to check it out and vacation for a few days in West Virginia for $12k but move there? No way. A relocation package would probably have to be in the 7 digit range.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 6:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The idea of the Ozarks being "the Midwest" is bizarre to me, having grown up in a Great Lakes state. Arkansas, to me, is mostly Deep South, given the Delta region. Even southern Indiana/Illinois feels like the South.
I would say the Ozarks are a sub region of the greater south that has it's own unique identity from many other parts of the south. I would also say that parts of WV are midwestern and eastern, while other parts are southern and Appalachian. Pittsburgh is consider in the East and Ohio is considered midwestern and part of WV lies in-between PA and OH.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 6:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
ditto.

i suppose the ozarks probably have a solid contingent of southern midwesterners going there for vacation homes (folks from STL and KC), but up here in chicagoland, vacation homes are up in wisconsin or over in michigan for the most part, either on "the big lake" itself, or one of the other 8 billion smaller lakes that dot the upper midwest.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 21, 2021 at 6:53 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 6:47 PM

Makes sense, the midwest isn't small geographically.

I've never been to Appalachia but I would imagine the Ozarks (which I have been to) is its little brother. Same type of people immigrated there and same type of culture still exists. Before Central Texas and its lakes boomed, my parents would drive from Houston to Northern Arkansas to go vacation.

Really beautiful country, along with eastern Oklahoma.

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I mean... I'd be down to check it out and vacation for a few days in West Virginia for $12k but move there? No way. A relocation package would probably have to be in the 7 digit range.
I'd move to certain spots in West Virginia for free in a heartbeat... it is a goddamm lush paradise of gorgeous outdoor adventure, and so close to the east coast. At some point, I just might.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 10:25 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
Are the Ozarks the Midwest's own version of Appalachia? Or more of the Midwest's vacation homes?

Coincidentally I started watching The Ozarks, good show so far.
As for missouri - there are different parts to the ozarks that have their own character. the st. francois mountains due south of st louis along with the old lead mining district is fairly midland, gritty and mid-appalachia like but with a lot of french place names/ancestry mixed in. this area is generally less developed - lots of forest tracts and there are areas even managed by the National Park Service along the clean spring fed rivers.

southwest and western ozarks are more retirement / vacation areas with big mcmansion developments and whatever although the Lake of the Ozarks isnt even what i’d consider true Ozarks. southwest and far southern missouri ozarks along the border are more southern.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 10:39 PM

jim bakker in my signature of course based in branson, mo which is a whole thing. i think he got in trouble again for a fake coronavirus cure. i have no idea for whom sw missouri is a retirement destination but the winter climate isn’t too bad. i stick to the eastern ozarks and the undeveloped rivers and canoe camp areas.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelback View Post
I would say the Ozarks are a sub region of the greater south that has it's own unique identity from many other parts of the south. I would also say that parts of WV are midwestern and eastern, while other parts are southern and Appalachian. Pittsburgh is consider in the East and Ohio is considered midwestern and part of WV lies in-between PA and OH.
its complicated but part of the ozarks are more attached to the lower midwest and part to the upper south. although i do believe that theres a more recent cultural/speech blending happening between the rural lower midlands and upper south.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 10:47 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i have no idea for whom sw missouri is a retirement destination but the winter climate isn’t too bad.
my friend's ex-wife's parents moved down to lake of the ozarks for their retirement.

he was former CPD, and sadly died only 4 years after they moved down there.

the wife moved back up to chicago because grandkids.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
my friend's ex-wife's parents moved down to lake of the ozarks for their retirement.

he was CPD, and sadly died only 4 years after they moved down there.

the wife moved back up to chicago because grandkids.
yeah lake of the ozarks is more just regular central missouri and is definitely a lot of people from midwestern cities. the landscape is still pretty rugged around the lake but isn’t really deep ozarks

the higher quality nice clear impoundments are on the missouri/arkansas state line like Table Rock Lake but are more freakshow evangelical - that area is actually more like the TV show Ozark than lake of the ozarks.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Culturally, there is a considerable difference between the "Deep South", meaning the relatively flat plantation country that once had a cotton economy and Appalachia. The Ozarks is probably (can't say for sure; just as many here have never spend any time in any part of the South, I haven't spent any in the Ozarks) a lot more like Appalachia than like the "Deep South". Historically, that means its population were Scots-Irish small farmers who farmed their own small plots (commonly raising tobacco) rather than large plantations worked by slave labor and raising cotton. And, for example, being not near the coast, neither has the coastal seafood-based cuisine and so on.

But one thing that makes Appalachia different, as I pointed out earlier, is that that region was settled in the 1700s, when Col. George Washington was passing through to fight on the frontier, and so parts of it (including some towns in West Virginia) have a lot of pre-Revolutionary charm. I doubt anywhere in Arkansas has that, having been settled much later.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 1:44 AM

Didn’t we just do the whole Appalachia - Ozarks ridiculousness quite recently in the Appalachian cities thread?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 1:50 AM
E pluribus unum

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Didn’t we just do the whole Appalachia - Ozarks ridiculousness quite recently in the Appalachian cities thread?
Yeah, but with time being a flat circle, these arguments resurface in perpetuity.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 1:52 AM
IWant2BeInSTL

^ what was the ridiculousness? i just remember certain people yelling about how if you want to discuss the Ozarks go start your own thread. are we not allowed to mention them here either?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 2:01 AM

Back to West Virginia... if most states in the US had a city like Wheeling, it would easily be their best city.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Yeah, but with time being a flat circle, these arguments resurface in perpetuity.
It’s just too soon... too soon, man

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWant2BeInSTL View Post
^ what was the ridiculousness? i just remember certain people yelling about how if you want to discuss the Ozarks go start your own thread. are we not allowed to mention them here either?
“Certain people” was me. They’re completely different regions of the country.

Next NYC subject matter thread I see, I’m gonna start talking about Pittsburgh.

Me me me me me me me me me me me

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions