HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 28, 2016, 12:21 AM

I'm noticing some new billboards, one at Broadway and Portage. Trying to beat TNS to a few funders?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2016, 11:06 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ In some respects, having two highrise condos go up a couple blocks apart might actually grow the downtown market and encourage buyers to come out of the woodwork. I'd feel more comfortable jumping in myself knowing that a condo-residential neighbourhood was emerging (along with the related amenities) vs. buying a unit in a tower that stands in a sea of office buildings and parking lots.
It's interesting you say that because that's what I was thinking.

I remember a long time ago, I was working at Applebee's on Regent. Suddenly there were a whole bunch of new restaurants and I thought it would be bad for business. My boss said no, actually it's the opposite. He welcomed more restaurants because the more there were, the greater the area's drawing power.

I'm not saying it works the same with condos exactly but I wonder if it does. I imagine that people are more willing to buy into an area that they see improving and will be a stable investment. Of course, I assume you need to get the people actually in the area to achieve that critical mass so that makes the first step the biggest. Not so sure we're there yet.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2016, 2:42 PM
BANNED

When Applebee's had the delicious Chicken Enchiladas? Before they removed it from their menu? Before they committed that atrocity?

Anyway, I would think this would be the case. With both projects being planned, people who may have been on the fence because they thought additional amenities would not appear for a dog's age, may now look at the area as attractive, if only because there will be two grocery stores within just a few blocks of each other, with an infusion of so many new residents. Also, just out your door, there's a Starbucks, Thom Bargen, as well as other retail options coming soon. Again, I also believe we will witness a new zenith for Graham.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 5:53 AM

For me I think it will help a lot of older people who are thinking "am I crazy for wanting to move downtown?" realize "well if that many people are doing it maybe it does make sense."

Maybe people will be able to not scratch their heads when they see signs for "Graham Mall" soon. One thing that worries me though is the block between MTS and cityplace being a dead zone, and to a lesser extent but still problematic, the block between the Library and church. They really separate the two main drags of Graham.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the SW corner of the MTS Centre. There were rumours a few years back that True North wanted to open up some parts of the main floor and do some renos, and I really think something will have to be done to that entrance when TNS opens. That corner/entrance will become almost as big of a focus as the main one, and can barely support the traffic as is now. It's also just so lacklustre if you're gonna funnel everyone from the Square to that door.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
It's interesting you say that because that's what I was thinking.

I remember a long time ago, I was working at Applebee's on Regent. Suddenly there were a whole bunch of new restaurants and I thought it would be bad for business. My boss said no, actually it's the opposite. He welcomed more restaurants because the more there were, the greater the area's drawing power.

I'm not saying it works the same with condos exactly but I wonder if it does. I imagine that people are more willing to buy into an area that they see improving and will be a stable investment. Of course, I assume you need to get the people actually in the area to achieve that critical mass so that makes the first step the biggest. Not so sure we're there yet.
Ya, it totally works that way. Plus, more people in an urban area makes it safer and the social proof for new buyers is big as well.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocket View Post
Ya, it totally works that way. Plus, more people in an urban area makes it safer and the social proof for new buyers is big as well.
Absolutely. Just as with eateries, several condos or apt towers, make the area a Destination so then when referred to, people know exactly where it is.
Competition eventually becomes a draw for traffic and footsteps to an area.
As with Osborne Village, The Exchange, Assiniboine and Broadway Downtown, Corydon Village etc.. With many amenities people want to be near them or might work for them.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 2:22 AM
BANNED

I am looking forward to seeing what Graham will become in a couple of years.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 1:41 PM

SkyCity billboards on the site are updated (and slightly moved/angled?).

150+ units sold.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 1:43 PM
BANNED

Hopefully we will see the target reached by end of summer.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 11:04 PM

We are certainly looking forward to moving into our unit in 2019. I drive past the site everyday and look up, imagining our windows way way up there. Of course right now the reality is looking at an ugly parking lot but... We have gone to
The Pint already knowing that we will likely go there often after we move in. We were pleasantly surprised to find the place was packed, and it wasn't a Jets game night... well, not in town game.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 3:07 AM
BANNED

Congrats on your purchase. The Pint would be my watering hole.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 4:40 PM

Strolled over to the pint after last night jets game. There was quite a line, which is fine. Then there was a vip list. At the pint?! They had 3 separate lines going on. Theyre doing really well.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
SkyCity billboards on the site are updated (and slightly moved/angled?).

150+ units sold.
Sounds like sales are on a good pace. They are quoted in January saying "We’re going to release our actual construction partner, the grocer and our construction schedule." - Metro So I'd imagine we'll be hearing more any day now. That news may also give the sales a bump!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 3:14 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Strolled over to the pint after last night jets game. There was quite a line, which is fine. Then there was a vip list. At the pint?! They had 3 separate lines going on. Theyre doing really well.
I was there last month, and it's a really cool establishment. They definitely are bumping!

Food is not too bad either!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 7:12 PM

Optimistically imo, when apprx: 200 units are pre-sold, and tenants are confirmed for the podium, both office/retail, I'd hope for shovels in the ground sometime in early 2017..Fingers crossed..

Announcements scheduled should tell us a great deal either way.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 10:07 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

if pints backed up go across the st to the garrik or go to the planit on portage?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
if pints backed up go across the st to the garrik or go to the planit on portage?
A little OT, but shout out to the food at The Planit. Fantastic homemade burger with incredible bacon jam on it. Highly recommend!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 11:49 PM

I hope the construction partner isn't Caspian, after the things reported regarding the Police Headquarters.
Oh, and the food at The Pint was delicious!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 2:54 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by design25 View Post
I hope the construction partner isn't Caspian, after the things reported regarding the Police Headquarters.
Oh, and the food at The Pint was delicious!
I don't think Caspian will ever be considered as a contractor by how things are going right now, and how they're currently under investigation by the Mounties.

Probably still too early to think about that, but I'm assuming the developers are considering their options right now.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this project, but I hope shovels will be in the ground a lot sooner than later. ~200 units being sold already is a very good start.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 6:10 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
A little OT, but shout out to the food at The Planit. Fantastic homemade burger with incredible bacon jam on it. Highly recommend!
tell ashly ur self
cause yes they make tood food there

ive been doing allot of sound and light setups on fridays and saturdays there since begining of january

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan