HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 2:56 AM
Meh

It's fine to post snippets. I do it here occasionally, but mostly in the CE section of the forum where the smackdowns happen.

You just don't want to post a full article, and any content you post from one MUST have a link to it.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 4:40 AM

I just want to let y'all know that, after years of wrangling with the city (including a protest march and vigil for a dead child), it looks like we may finally get a full sidewalk down the length of Yager Ln (between Tech Ridge and Parmer Ln). It has long been called the most expensive sidewalk project in Austin due to the watershed issues along both sides of the street.

Still a long way to go, but the Public Works Dept and the Watershed Protection Dept are working together on this (which is rare apparently) so we'll have the strength of their combined budgets on our side.

Thanks to everyone who voted for Prop B for making this possible. It will be huge for our (underserved) area.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 3:21 PM

I missed this news earlier this year, but the former CEO of Waterloo Greenway, Peter Mullan stepped down to take on a new role of Chief of Architecture and Urban Design for the Austin Transit Partnership (ATP). He's the one who's overseen the Waterloo Greenway (Waller Creek park system) including the Waterloo Park renovation, which looks really nice. He's also been a major force in setting up the High Line park in NYC.

I have no idea what his new role really entails, but his involvement seems like a good thing for the transit user experience in and around the new Project Connect system. It shows a pretty high level of commitment on the part of ATP/Cap Metro to creating enjoyable vs utilitarian environments.

https://www.austinmonitor.com/storie...n-to-join-atp/

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 7:24 PM

Project Connect needs the state to pass a low allowing them permission to use the republic square underground or they will have to use a different lot for the project. Maybe under the republic building?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 7:53 PM

Soil testing:

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 8:13 PM

That's also the Blue Line corridor, too.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
That's also the Blue Line corridor, too.
And there are several permits for core sampling for the Blue Line Tunnel. Here's one of them:

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s..._propertyrsn=0

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
And there are several permits for core sampling for the Blue Line Tunnel. Here's one of them:

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s..._propertyrsn=0
Good find. I feel like this has to be more of a Project Connect thing rather than a Convention Center expansion thing . . . though I admit they're both pretty entangled now, from what we've seen reported.

Really glad to see some forward motion, finally!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Project Connect needs the state to pass a low allowing them permission to use the republic square underground or they will have to use a different lot for the project. Maybe under the republic building?
Stations will be built primarily in (under) street ROW. There may be connections into the lower level of buildings where the commercial amenities will be located.

Also, the stations will probably be located at least 1/2 block east on 4th or 1/2 block north on Guadalupe because stations cannot be built on a curve. Stations will need to be about one block in length. The north station entrance will likely be adjacent to the Post Office block, or possibly even 6x Guadalupe.

Last edited by H2O; Apr 9, 2021 at 11:39 AM. Reason: embellishment

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
I just want to let y'all know that, after years of wrangling with the city (including a protest march and vigil for a dead child), it looks like we may finally get a full sidewalk down the length of Yager Ln (between Tech Ridge and Parmer Ln). It has long been called the most expensive sidewalk project in Austin due to the watershed issues along both sides of the street.

Still a long way to go, but the Public Works Dept and the Watershed Protection Dept are working together on this (which is rare apparently) so we'll have the strength of their combined budgets on our side.

Thanks to everyone who voted for Prop B for making this possible. It will be huge for our (underserved) area.
Oh wow, I had no idea that happened--how horrible. That's awesome we will be getting a sidewalk there! I live seconds away. Do you know if this would be part of the Walnut Creek bike trail expansion?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Oh wow, I had no idea that happened--how horrible. That's awesome we will be getting a sidewalk there! I live seconds away. Do you know if this would be part of the Walnut Creek bike trail expansion?
The current plan/construction of phase 2 of walnut creek trail has it hitting I35 basically at the creek.

https://data.austintexas.gov/stories...stem/v3dz-djp9

A bit south of Yager. With the plan so far for 3 continuing east but not quite getting to Yager.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 2:27 PM

Cap Metro / ATP are holding a series of open houses on stations the last week of April.

https://capmetro.org/get-involved

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Stations will be built primarily in (under) street ROW. There may be connections into the lower level of buildings where the commercial amenities will be located.

Also, the stations will probably be located at least 1/2 block east on 4th or 1/2 block north on Guadalupe because stations cannot be built on a curve. Stations will need to be about one block in length. The north station entrance will likely be adjacent to the Post Office block, or possibly even 6x Guadalupe.
That's not true with the Republic square "station". The initial plan is more of a transit center than just a light rail station with an underground food court and plenty of space for people transferring from the Blue/Orange/and Bus line. It won't fit under the standard ROW which is why they need this bill passed or need to find a private partner.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 6:04 PM

Ladies and Germs, your core samples.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 6:28 PM
World Traveler

Who knew there was so much rock in the Austin area....

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Cap Metro / ATP are holding a series of open houses on stations the last week of April.

https://capmetro.org/get-involved
Kind of interesting, they ask you to pick a breakout session as well that focuses on one of these specific segments:
Blue (Republic Square East to the Airport), Orange (Republic Square North to North Lamar), and Orange (Republic Square South to Stassney). They describe this in the link but I didn't realize it until I signed up.

I'm most interested in the north part of Orange, but I hope we still get a good bit of info on the major stations throughout the system.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
Kind of interesting, they ask you to pick a breakout session as well that focuses on one of these specific segments:
Blue (Republic Square East to the Airport), Orange (Republic Square North to North Lamar), and Orange (Republic Square South to Stassney). They describe this in the link but I didn't realize it until I signed up.

I'm most interested in the north part of Orange, but I hope we still get a good bit of info on the major stations throughout the system.
You can sign up for multiple sessions if you are so inclined.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 2:36 PM

Ground has been broken on the 71 overpasses for Cota east of 130 at Ross and Kellam rd.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 2:41 PM

Didn't even know this was planned. Nice to see 71 get upgrades moving further east. Eventually it should be a continuous freeway corridor out to Columbus.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
Didn't even know this was planned. Nice to see 71 get upgrades moving further east. Eventually it should be a continuous freeway corridor out to Columbus.
It will. There are overpasses planned at all its current lights over the next 10 years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin