HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 1:58 AM

Maybe someone here knows: what happens if my blue bin is stolen? Who foots the bill for its replacement? I can't keep the thing chained to a fence or something, the truck needs to be able to pick it up. I fail to see how it should be my problem if, for all intents and purposes The City's blue bin, gets stolen.

The brochure that came with my bin says in the event of a missing or stolen bin I should call 311. That's it.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
My apartment in Vancouver had bins right in the underground. It made recycling so easy.
yeah that's what I got in my building, too, although I still let it pile up inside my suite because I procrastinate taking it downstairs!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 4:27 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Why are Edmonton and Vancouver forumers so fascinated by this thread?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 4:58 AM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
They secretly love Calgarians and their garbage.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 5:06 AM

Maybe this will stop the homeless woman who rips open all of the garbage bags in my neighbourhood (Bankview) looking for bottles and cans, which then means that the garbage guys don't remove the bags (if they're ripped, they're not supposed to pick them up). It's wonderful having open bags of garbage sitting out all week, especially when it's windy.

Still haven't received my bin either.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 7:38 AM
effete latte-lifter

^^Where do you live? it's a phased roll-out, by neighbourhood, alphabetically. (a weird way to do it, to be certain) In Sunnyside we don't get out bins until the end of May.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 1:19 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
^^Where do you live? it's a phased roll-out, by neighbourhood, alphabetically. (a weird way to do it, to be certain) In Sunnyside we don't get out bins until the end of May.
It's not alphabetical.

Auburn Bay for example is getting theirs at the middle of May.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Because this topic makes us reminisce about the early 90s. Ahhh... cheap gas, grunge rock, Crystal Pepsi, plaid shirts. The good ol'days

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 1:59 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Because we love Calgarian trash ?

I've lived in both those cities, plus Calgary, and the latter was by far the furthest behind in recycling services. As noted, it was pretty apalling when I moved there in '00 to see how far behind such a rich city was in dealing with recyclable waste.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 2:05 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
It's not alphabetical.

Auburn Bay for example is getting theirs at the middle of May.
I keep hearing that it's being rolled out by quadrant. Maybe it's alphabetical WITHIN quadrants, but certainly not across the entire city.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 2:10 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
As noted, it was pretty apalling when I moved there in '00 to see how far behind such a rich city was in dealing with recyclable waste.
And it was pretty appalling in the mid 1980s when I realized that Calgary (and Edmonton) had recycling/bottle depots that took back seemingly EVERYTHING - pop bottles, milk jugs, you name it.

In most of the country at the time you could return your empty beer cans and bottles for recycling, and that was it. Certain specialty pop bottlers would also take back bottles but by and large it all went into the landfill. Once plastic bottles became the norm, it ALL got chucked. It took most of Canada 10-15-20 years to catch up to Alberta in that regard - and most of the country still doesn't give any sort of deposit back for non-beer containers.

Speaking of who's far behind now, which other Canadian cities do no-sort recycling?

Edit: small word addition to avoid even more people trying to start a flamewar over casual conversation.

Last edited by freeweed; Mar 27, 2009 at 4:06 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I keep hearing that it's being rolled out by quadrant. Maybe it's alphabetical WITHIN quadrants, but certainly not across the entire city.
I believe that is the case. I know for sure it is by quadrant.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 2:31 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
The City's website has a link to the program explaining pretty much everything. It is being rolled out by quadrant, but the service does not start as soon as you receive your bin. I believe I am supposed to receive mine between April 27 and May 10 but service does not start until June.

Also, the City says each bin will have a serial number and you are supposed to write the serial number and your address on the bin. That seems to be how they will track them if they are lost, stolen etc. Note that they are assigned to a house, not a homeowner so if you move you are supposed to leave the bin behind for the next person.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 3:14 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
And it was pretty appalling in the mid 1980s when I realized that Calgary (and Edmonton) had recycling/bottle depots that took back EVERYTHING - pop bottles, milk jugs, you name it.
Toronto had curb side recycling by the mid 80s so there really wasn't a need for depots anymore. You can go on about how Calgary is the greatest in this and that however, as far as household recycling goes, it is well behind the times.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 3:28 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
And it was pretty appalling in the mid 1980s when I realized that Calgary (and Edmonton) had recycling/bottle depots that took back EVERYTHING - pop bottles, milk jugs, you name it.
So you're telling me that for profit recyclers accepted, for free, items that did not require a deposit and had no facilities for reworking the product locally ? I'd sure like to hear more, but am inclinded to call BS on that. Feel free to enlighten me.

Y'know freeweed, you don't need to take anything that isn't fawning praise of your city as some sort of direct insult. You need some thicker skin.

For the record, in the 80's my hometown of Veron BC, you could recycle beer and pop cans and bottles, anything glass, newsprint & all wood fibre products and metal cans. Plastic recycling facilities didn't really exist yet.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 3:46 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacamano View Post
Toronto had curb side recycling by the mid 80s so there really wasn't a need for depots anymore. You can go on about how Calgary is the greatest in this and that however, as far as household recycling goes, it is well behind the times.
Who said anything about Calgary being the greatest in anything? What exactly are you on about?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 3:55 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
So you're telling me that for profit recyclers accepted, for free, items that did not require a deposit and had no facilities for reworking the product locally ? I'd sure like to hear more, but am inclinded to call BS on that. Feel free to enlighten me.
I'm telling you that they took back a hell of a lot more, by orders of magnitude, than many other places. Sorry, I missed out on the word "seemingly" when I said "everything". Wow, a tiny hyperbole and you're making a capital case out of it. It's a comment on a bloody message board. Do you get all hot and bothered when you see spelling mistakes in Wikipedia, too?

Quote:
Y'know freeweed, you don't need to take anything that isn't fawning praise of your city as some sort of direct insult. You need some thicker skin.
Uh, what?? Seriously - huh? I point out that Alberta had better recycling facilities in the 1980s than many other places, and suddenly I'm thinking Calgary is being insulted? Where the hell did you get that from?

Yeesh, do people like you TRY to create an argument every single time you comment, or what? Are you seriously this much of an ass in real life?

Y'know, you don't need to take any remotely positive comment about Calgary (odd, as I was commenting about Alberta, but you do manage to spin it about Calgary every single time) as some sort of direct insult. You need some thicker skin.

Honestly - it's impossible to ever say anything good about this place without some jackass coming in and screaming that we're defensive. Grow up, or please ignore these threads.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 4:05 PM

When my family moved to Red Deer in '88 we had curbside recycling. Plastics and all. Moving to Calgary in '95 and having to chuck plastics again was a shock.

We still did recycle at the depots everything that they took. The city did end up diverting a fair amount of waste for pretty low cost, which for Calgary was a primary concern.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 4:17 PM
HVAC guru

Calm down Freeweed.

Maybe you need to take the rest of the day off.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 4:24 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Calm down Freeweed.

Maybe you need to take the rest of the day off.
And maybe you need to stop commenting in Calgary-named threads, if you're incapable of having civil discourse.

No, I will not calm down when habitual trolls come in and try to hijack a thread.

Speaking of Calgary's recycling program (I know, the nerve of talking about the thread subject) - is the city ever going to implement bag limits for garbage? I know most other places have done something similar to "encourage compliance", so to speak.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy