HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Dec 26, 2008, 5:38 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Don't discount Fargo as a tour stop. It's a tiny city but the Fargodome is an impressive facility that manages to attract top talent on a regular basis. Somehow it manages to sell out all the time, too.
The Fargodome is very cool ... I heard rumours that a few Manitobans have been seen taken in an event or two.

... although having an amazing facilty like the MTS Centre, with concert quality sound .. Winnipeg is seeing a significant increase in major concerts from the old echo hall Winnipeg Arena days.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 5:31 AM

Still causing shows to skip Calgary to this day. Roger Waters and Guns & Roses are among most recent tours to be announced without Calgary. If I was still living there I would be very unhappy.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
Still causing shows to skip Calgary to this day. Roger Waters and Guns & Roses are among most recent tours to be announced without Calgary. If I was still living there I would be very unhappy.
GN'R skipped Mcmahon not the Saddledome. It's a stadium tour.

You can thank NIMBY's for that.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patm View Post
GN'R skipped Mcmahon not the Saddledome. It's a stadium tour.

You can thank NIMBY's for that.
Have there been any big stadium shows at McMahon in recent years? I hear about them at Commonwealth/Mosaic/IGF all the time, but now that I think about it, nothing for McMahon.

Between Saddledome's issues and McMahon's apparent NIMBY problem, booking concerts in Calgary sounds challenging to say the least.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Have there been any big stadium shows at McMahon in recent years? I hear about them at Commonwealth/Mosaic/IGF all the time, but now that I think about it, nothing for McMahon.

Between Saddledome's issues and McMahon's apparent NIMBY problem, booking concerts in Calgary sounds challenging to say the least.
Define recent. I can't think of anything major in the last 10 years.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Define recent. I can't think of anything major in the last 10 years.
I'd say like the last 20 years or so. I'm sure there were probably big concerts there back in the 60s when there wasn't much else around.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 7:57 PM
BANNED

I'm surprised the stampede's grandstand never gets used for big acts. If you push the stage back, you can easily get 30,000. Would need big screens, but that goes without saying even in McMahon. Different set of NIMBY but at least this group is used to noise the first half of July.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
I'm surprised the stampede's grandstand never gets used for big acts. If you push the stage back, you can easily get 30,000. Would need big screens, but that goes without saying even in McMahon. Different set of NIMBY but at least this group is used to noise the first half of July.
IIRC, Fleetwood Mac played that venue around 1977 when they were super popular. I'm not sure why it's not used but the fact that the grandstand is so wide might have something to do with it.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'd say like the last 20 years or so. I'm sure there were probably big concerts there back in the 60s when there wasn't much else around.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe ZZ Top and Aerosmith were going to play McMahon late last decade but the show got cancelled due to Steven Tyler injuring himself.

Also, there was some "woman's" tour that played McMahon. It was probably more than 10 years ago but I think Sara McLaughlin was the headliner and the main force behind the tour.

Does anyone know what this upcoming event is about?

http://www.tickets.com/event/2017-06...ckets-2288606/

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 12:28 AM
Moran supreme

BMX and dirt bike is Nitro Circus.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
The noise section of the Community Standards Bylaw excludes the Stampede grounds during the 10 day event. I imagine the equalizing factor is that no major late night events could occur outside the 10 day event without causing a lot of issues.

The stated capacity of the grandstand is 17,000 seated and an additional 8,000 standing. However I'm pretty sure the seated portion also includes the infield area. Drop 3-4,000 seats if this is true.

Overall the Grandstand is too small a stadium to be viable for a major outdoor event.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation