HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 9:15 PM
MisterNostalgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
I guess Highway 2 at its present location wasn't built until later, which doesn't surprise me given the Trans-Canada along 16th Ave isn't on the map either. It wouldn't have been until later that it veered around Chestermere and as such, on this map, it follows 17th Ave SE (where it is east of Chestermere anyway).
Before the TransCanada was realigned to 16 Avenue N, the road went east on 9th Avenue, turned left at 20th Street E where Colonel Walker school is, the Lunch Box diner was, past Gail's service station, over the railway tracks, over the old Cushing bridge past the Inglewood Golf course, through the independent town of Forest Lawn, headed east and crossed Chestermere Lake etc etc

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 11:14 PM

delete

Last edited by nick.flood; Feb 5, 2016 at 5:29 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 2:29 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by irankine View Post

I'm a newcomer to the site and the forum, so I'm reading old posts. The airstrip you refer to was used by the Commonwealth Air Training Plan to train pilots for the war. After the war, not sure when, one of the barracks was moved to Ogden Road at 72nd Avenue and became the Ogden Legion. The airstrip became Race City speedway. A similar airstrip was near DeWinton east of Highway 2 several miles.
Actually, that airstrip became the Shepard Raceway which later became Calgary International Raceway. Race City Speedway was 2 miles to the east of this airstrip and is gone now as well. By the way, welcome to the site.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 3:04 PM

Were all the road designers in Calgary in the 60s on acid? I guess the same guy designed Bow/Crow

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 7:06 PM

I don't know if this has been posted before. But I just stumbled across this really cool map.

Hosted by City of Calgary, it is a full interactive comparison map of Calgary from 1924.

http://maps.calgary.ca/calgary1924/

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 7:15 PM
IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggopher View Post
I don't know if this has been posted before. But I just stumbled across this really cool map.

Hosted by City of Calgary, it is a full interactive comparison map of Calgary from 1924.

http://maps.calgary.ca/calgary1924/
That is a cool find!

Now I finally know what the original route of the #2 north of Calgary was. I knew it meandered around the (future) Airport area, but now I can see the exact route.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 8:56 PM

Awesome! I hope they do some more like that.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 5:19 AM

Now this is pretty cool, thanks.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos