HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 7:01 PM

Darren Dupont talked to ICE GM Matt Cockell on the Rod Pedersen Show today. Among other things, Dupont asked Cockell about the status of the new rink and Cockell basically had nothing to say. Just emphasized the cost and effort that went into the Wayne Fleming improvements, and gave a "when the time is right we'll say something" non-answer.

It's starting to look like it could be at least two more years for the ICE at Wayne Fleming Arena... but how do they hope to make any money playing in that thing?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 7:15 PM

I get confidentiality. But that doesn't sound promising.

What do they have for concessions at Wayne Fleming? Beer, hot dogs?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I get confidentiality. But that doesn't sound promising.

What do they have for concessions at Wayne Fleming? Beer, hot dogs?
Tall boys of 4 different Fort Garry products for $9 a pop. Liquor for the same price. I can't remember if they have any other stuff like coolers and wine.

I've never actually eaten there but they have two concession stands with a basic array of food like chips, popcorn, hot dogs, mini-donuts, cotton candy, etc. Not really much for hot food options. I have seen a carvery set up with roast beef but that only seems to be for Saturday games... although now that games are drawing better maybe they'll roll it out more often. Mind you with the 7:30 puck drops I'm not sure how much people want beyond simple snack foods.

ICE have some tough games coming up... two in Lethbridge and one in Medicine Hat before the big 1st vs. 1st showdown at home against Edmonton on Wednesday... I'm looking forward to that one.

Last edited by esquire; Feb 13, 2020 at 8:18 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 7:51 PM

Oh nice. So a decent selection of items.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 4:47 PM

Despite losing 4 in a row, the ICE have clinched a playoff spot. Once they get two of their top players back from injuries (Peyton Krebs and Connor McClennon), they could make some real noise in the playoffs.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 6:26 PM

Niiice.

Best thing for the ICE would be for Jets to miss the playoffs. Moose are in the basement and not making it either.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 3:48 PM

new arena delayed at least 1 yr, further investments in UofM Wayne Flemming arena.

freepress 30-April
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...570101892.html

The COVID-19 crisis forced a premature end to the 2019-20 WHL season. Now, the pandemic fallout is complicating plans by the owners of the Winnipeg Ice to build a new arena.

Fifteen months ago, Ice chairman and governor Greg Fettes announced his intention to move the Kootenay Ice to Winnipeg. The news included a plan to build a 4,500-seat arena with additional development on 300 acres of land adjacent to the Rink Training Centre in the RM of Macdonald.

The team made the move, playing its games at the University of Manitoba’s 1,600-seat Wayne Fleming Arena for the first of two seasons it was supposed to play on the Fort Garry campus until the new arena was built.

That timing, already affected by the slow pace of obtaining zoning approval for the land, has been further delayed by the pandemic.

"If you’re asking about a change in terms of the current circumstance, obviously I’ve been monitoring what’s happening," said Fettes Thursday. "We don’t know what the hockey landscape’s going to look like after this. So are we taking a step back and making sure we understand that? Yes, absolutely.

"We’re going to do that but for all intents and purposes we’re still on the same track we were on. We’re doing our best to push forward but we are going to pay attention to see how are we going to be able to play games and how does that affect the type of building we build."

Fettes said the ownership group, which also includes Ice president and general manager Matt Cockell, will need at least two years to build a new arena. Since construction has yet to begin, the team will need to spend an additional year at the U of M.

Now, the earliest the Ice will be playing in its new home would be the start of the 2022-23 season.

In the interim, 50 Below Sports + Entertainment plans to make additional improvements at Wayne Fleming Arena after investing $1.3 million during the original renovation.

"We’d like to have a bigger venue, obviously," said Fettes, who also serves as chairman of 50 Below, the WHL club’s parent company. "But at the same time, I think we’ve learned a lot working inside of the U of M. I think it’s been a really great venue for families to come and watch."

Original designs for the new building are under review but Fettes said the final capacity is likely to remain the same. He wants to be careful not to overbuild, retaining some of the intimacy of the U of M facility.

"We’re certainly intending to push forward with the building but we’re evaluating what the timing might be and we’re evaluating what type of building we might build based on the environment that gets created with COVID. We don’t know the answer to that yet... We’re going to be in that building for 30 or 40 years. It’s not worth rushing to not get it right."

Meanwhile, Fettes would not comment on recent suggestions he and Cockell are selling their ownership stake in the Rink Training Centre.

He did respond to speculation the MJHL’s Winnipeg Blues, also owned by 50 Below, would be returning to Bell MTS Iceplex after spending the 2019-20 season at RTC.

"To the best of my knowledge that’s not happening, and I would know," said Fettes.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 4:27 PM

I really don't understand how a WHL team can make a go of it for three years in an arena as small as Wayne Fleming. I get that the players earn a pittance, basically a token amount. But still, all of the other costs are there... travel, coaches and other hockey staff, a front office, running a team facility at The Rink, all that sort of thing.

When you get 1,500 fans a night maybe 1,000 of whom (my guess) are paying full price, I don't get how the economics of it works. Wayne Fleming doesn't have any private suites, it just has a basic club seating area over top of the benches. It isn't much. I'd be curious to see what they have in store for next season in terms of further improvements to the arena.

But that said, all signs seem to be pointing to the team sticking around and continuing to play here whenever the next WHL season might be. I'm grateful for that, as I have to admit the team has really grown on me. They are right up there for me with the Bombers and Jets as a team that I pay attention to.

Given what's going on, I suspect we are going to see a much downscaled version of the inital arena idea. I can see this being like the Selkirk Rec Centre but with some boxes. I can't imagine that the original mini MTS Centre concept is going to get too far in the current environment.

(Incidentally, I find the remarks about zoning to be interesting... it's not like an arena project out there could get NIMBYed, so what are the issues? I always thought RMs were supposed to be better at that kind of thing than the City of Winnipeg)

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 1:03 AM

Kind of wild, but the MJHL has awarded the Winnipeg ICE's ownership group, 50 Below Sports & Entertainment, a second franchise to start play in the 2020-21 season which is barely a month away. No word on where they're going to play... The Rink seems like the logical spot, but The Rink also seems to be running the Seven Oaks Arena up in The Maples these days, so maybe that could be a potential location.

https://www.mjhlhockey.ca/expansion-...2020-21-season

I suppose they can use a second junior A team to channel their younger talent into?

In any event, we're up to teams in the NHL, the AHL, the WHL, two MJHL teams and a U-Sports team. Surely we must be running at the absolute maximum of what the market can bear in terms of hockey?!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Kind of wild, but the MJHL has awarded the Winnipeg ICE's ownership group, 50 Below Sports & Entertainment, a second franchise to start play in the 2020-21 season which is barely a month away. No word on where they're going to play... The Rink seems like the logical spot, but The Rink also seems to be running the Seven Oaks Arena up in The Maples these days, so maybe that could be a potential location.

https://www.mjhlhockey.ca/expansion-...2020-21-season

I suppose they can use a second junior A team to channel their younger talent into?

In any event, we're up to teams in the NHL, the AHL, the WHL, two MJHL teams and a U-Sports team. Surely we must be running at the absolute maximum of what the market can bear in terms of hockey?!
The MJHL isn't really a business. They charge player fees, attendance is mostly friends and family with some regulars in the smaller cities.

Also in terms of adding a team this season, there's a significant possibility that the WHL will not be able to play in 20-21 while the provincial junior 'A' leagues will be able to with less travel required and almost no travel across provincial boundaries (exception in the west being Flin Flon). There are lots of elite players looking for a team. Makes me wonder if they will loan almost their entire team, the Ice, to the MJHL.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 3:04 PM

^ So that's the angle? A second MJHL team for 50 Below as a parking lot for its players in case the WHL season is cancelled? The last-second nature of it all would lend credence to that theory.

The news media was reporting some interest on the part of Manitoba-born WHL players in coming home to play in the MJHL until the WHL season starts. The WHL said no, but I suppose if the whole season looks likely to be cancelled then that changes everything. Could be a pretty exciting year locally if guys like Jarvis, Hofer, half the Ice team, etc. end up playing in the MJHL.

And also, still no signs of any kind of development or site prep for a new arena at The Rink. Starting to wonder if it's ever going to happen... the timing of the Ice's arrival in town was not ideal to say the least.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 4:04 PM
surely you agree with me

I’ve heard it’s done.

Biff is the guy who will know best.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 4:30 PM

Quote:
^ So that's the angle? A second MJHL team for 50 Below as a parking lot for its players in case the WHL season is cancelled? The last-second nature of it all would lend credence to that theory.

The news media was reporting some interest on the part of Manitoba-born WHL players in coming home to play in the MJHL until the WHL season starts. The WHL said no, but I suppose if the whole season looks likely to be cancelled then that changes everything. Could be a pretty exciting year locally if guys like Jarvis, Hofer, half the Ice team, etc. end up playing in the MJHL.

And also, still no signs of any kind of development or site prep for a new arena at The Rink. Starting to wonder if it's ever going to happen... the timing of the Ice's arrival in town was not ideal to say the least.
Another angle for the MJHL is that they have a club north of the 53rd who might not be able to play.

With the cost of building and maintaining bubbles for long-distance travel I don't see how a WHL season goes forward. The benefit of the provincial leagues is that most travel for games are day trips, there's OCN and Flin Flon, La Ronge in Sask, places like that but not many, some of the remote teams might go dormant. I know the CHL has some TV money but I don't think it will come close to offsetting. The OHL and QMJHL probably can make a go of it since they have less travel aside from the Atlantic teams. The American teams are a big wrinkle for the WHL and OHL too.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I’ve heard it’s done.

Damn. I would hate it if that were the case, because the team would then be toast unless they could finagle a deal to play at Bell MTS Place. Which wouldn't happen with the Moose still in town. So something's gotta give there.

It's weird because unlike most instances with doomed teams where you can kind of read the writing on the wall, it's far from clear here. 50 Below is still in full 'sell mode' with the Ice, promoting tickets and maintaining their presence in the market.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
Another angle for the MJHL is that they have a club north of the 53rd who might not be able to play.

With the cost of building and maintaining bubbles for long-distance travel I don't see how a WHL season goes forward. The benefit of the provincial leagues is that most travel for games are day trips, there's OCN and Flin Flon, La Ronge in Sask, places like that but not many, some of the remote teams might go dormant. I know the CHL has some TV money but I don't think it will come close to offsetting. The OHL and QMJHL probably can make a go of it since they have less travel aside from the Atlantic teams. The American teams are a big wrinkle for the WHL and OHL too.
There was some chatter that the WHL may be restricted to conference or even divisional play. The US teams throw a real wrench into all of the league's plans for sure.

Interesting that a certain northern team (assuming you mean OCN) may not be able to play, but it makes sense given the circumstances. It would be difficult for everyone else to run trips up there in a season when revenues will be battered, and tough for that team to pay for trips south. Even Swan Valley and Dauphin would be in pretty tough in that regard as well.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 12:37 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
There was some chatter that the WHL may be restricted to conference or even divisional play.
This is what the QMJHL is doing. Three different divisions, games all season within your division. Means the Maritime teams only play other Maritime teams all season. The WHL probably does something similar, especially considering the US teams can just play each other without having to cross any borders.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
This is what the QMJHL is doing. Three different divisions, games all season within your division. Means the Maritime teams only play other Maritime teams all season. The WHL probably does something similar, especially considering the US teams can just play each other without having to cross any borders.
Interesting. Divisional play is very restrictive but it may be the only viable option for the WHL... it seems unlikely that the group of US teams will be able to cross the border before the snow melts in the spring.

I suppose we'll have to get used to seeing a whole lot of the Brandon Wheat Kings around here...

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I’ve heard it’s done.

What is 'done'?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 2:28 PM

The ownership of the “The Rink (facility, academy teams, camps) and the owners of 50 Below have had a falling out so they are not associated anymore. The Ice, Blues, new MJHL team are simply tenants at The Rink facility. The Blue and new MJHL team (Freeze?) charge players $10-$15k to train and play for them, other MJHL teams charge $1k-$4k And many charge nothing.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 3:01 PM

^ Well that's strange. It certainly speaks to vike's point, though... after all, why would the Ice/50 Below want to build a WHL arena at an inconvenient site like The Rink if they don't have a stake in it?

So I wonder what this means for the Ice/50 Below going forward? Will they look for some other place to put their WHL venue? Just thinking out loud here, but I wonder if they could partner up with an organization that could supply them with land? Either with the U of M which could use an upgrade to its home arena, or maybe with a community centre that has a site to build on? Or would they just buy a parcel of land not quite so far out as The Rink and build there? Or does 50 Below cut their losses and just sell the team to some other rich dude who moves it lock, stock and barrel to Nanaimo or wherever?

As to the MJHL, are these kids playing for the Blues just ponying up big dollars so they can avoid having to move to Swan River or wherever?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan