HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
I agree! First of all, they did a fantastic job redesigning the exterior of this building. Between the sleek design, and Echoes' fabulous photography, I literally had to look at the photos for a few moments because, like Ricopedra stated, they looked like renders. A stunning improvement.
I'm only using an iPhone, but thanks.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 3:07 AM

A prime River Landing plot could sprout Saskatoon's next high-rise condo building
Parcel D could fetch as much as $11 million, according to city's former chief planner

Guy Quenneville · CBC News · Posted: May 28, 2019 10:55 AM CT | Last Updated: 10 hours ago

Quote:
The next big Saskatoon riverfront parcel of land being put up for sale at River Landing will likely become another high-rise condo, according to the city's former chief planner.

"It'll probably be offered with a high content required for residential growth," Alan Wallace, the city's past director of planning and development, said on CBC's Saskatoon Morning this week.

"That's what drives our restaurants, our retail scene, our entertainment. It drives a lot of things you have to have people living downtown."

Host Jennifer Quesnel asked Wallace if he meant it would be a condo high rise.

"Yeah I think so," Wallace replied.

[....]
Source

If Highpoint sales go well (and I'm betting that they do), I think there's a high likelihood that Urban Capital will be looking to acquire this property.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 3:29 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 8:04 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 4:13 AM

[QUOTE=Ricopedra;8595949]https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...t-10-5-million

What the city should do, since they're killing the Farmer's Market, instead of fixing the roof, is demolish the building and sell the land at a premium for urban development, including a stipulation for a streetfront presence through rentable businesses, and highrise density.

Then they can take the crap plot D near the freeway and since they own it, slice it in half, or so. Build a new farmer's market to rent out stalls on the first floor, build the new library above it and on top of that create a social housing tower (of about 16 stories;>)./QUOTE]

I don't agree about the Farmer's Market. I think the current location has some charm and putting it on the ground floor of a high rise just wouldn't be the same. We need to preserve pubic space rather than just jamming it into commercial developments.

Would love to see a microbrewery/restaurant in the pump house. I think that could be a really interesting

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 10:47 AM

edit

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 1:54 PM

[QUOTE=Temperance;8596879]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...t-10-5-million

What the city should do, since they're killing the Farmer's Market, instead of fixing the roof, is demolish the building and sell the land at a premium for urban development, including a stipulation for a streetfront presence through rentable businesses, and highrise density.

Then they can take the crap plot D near the freeway and since they own it, slice it in half, or so. Build a new farmer's market to rent out stalls on the first floor, build the new library above it and on top of that create a social housing tower (of about 16 stories;>)./QUOTE]

I don't agree about the Farmer's Market. I think the current location has some charm and putting it on the ground floor of a high rise just wouldn't be the same. We need to preserve pubic space rather than just jamming it into commercial developments.

Would love to see a microbrewery/restaurant in the pump house. I think that could be a really interesting
I think we're getting ahead of ourselves - I think they're killing the current crappy structure of the farmers market. It really is a badly run farmers market - small towns have better run ones. One of the main things I take out of town guests to is the farmers market and it is really abysmal compared to cities our size and ours should be absolutely massive being in an agriculture focused community. Sounds like the city has done some serious work about what they want it to look like, and I think they will get a nicely revamped market soon.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 7:11 PM

https://www.instagram.com/rocco_masons/

Tried linking two recent works from these guys. The image of the work done on broadway at the old Nino's location, and the recent image of the Queen St/2nd Ave reno.

Take a look, or if anyone knows how to link from Instagram please post the images.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotToScale View Post
https://www.instagram.com/rocco_masons/

Tried linking two recent works from these guys. The image of the work done on broadway at the old Nino's location, and the recent image of the Queen St/2nd Ave reno.

Take a look, or if anyone knows how to link from Instagram please post the images.
I also suck at posting articles/images here but the (former) Nino's reno looks great!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 6:16 PM

edit

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 5:44 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 8:05 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 6:58 PM

Developer plans 23-storey residential towers for City Park lot http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...-city-park-lot

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 10:19 PM

Yikes.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Developer plans 23-storey residential towers for City Park lot
I threw up in my mouth a little bit when I saw the rendering... ffs

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 10:39 PM

We can only hope that these are early initial renderings for massing purposes only and they will upgrade the final design, however with mist being rental units, I’m not sure what more we can expect

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 10:51 PM

Change the massing. Make one 35 and the other maybe 15. Could go for the tallest in Saskatoon maybe?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Yikes.
I actually said the exact same thing before I saw your comment

This is truly hideous. Dated the moment it is constructed and looking like a supermax prison. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect better architecture, particularly for such a prominent building.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 1:08 AM

Suitable for Siberia.. not Saskatoon.. that thing is hideous!!!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
Suitable for Siberia.. not Saskatoon.. that thing is hideous!!!
Agreed - I've been watching the Chernobyl series on HBO. That Baydo rendering looks familiar.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Developer plans 23-storey residential towers for City Park lot http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...-city-park-lot

I wouldn't expect anything better from Baydo....

It's too bad because the Saskatoon Land Branch commissioned KSA Group Architecture a few years ago to develop Architectural Control Guidelines for that site. I doubt any of them will be followed.

http://ksagroup.ca/work/architectura...ol-guidelines/

Unfortunately, I don't have the document on my home computer but I might still have it on my work laptop, if so, I'll try to upload it.

Also, keep in mind these will be rental apartments which mean the developer or some large building manager will end up owning and maintaining this building in the long term. Hence the small windows and the large area of opaque walls, large glass windows, like those in a few of the new condo developments going up around downtown, may look great now but I weep for those condo owners when they have their first reserve fund study completed...... (coming from a fellow downtown condo owner and condo board member, thankfully my building has a much better balance of window vs opaque wall area.)

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Agreed - I've been watching the Chernobyl series on HBO. That Baydo rendering looks familiar.
I was thinking the exact same thing—currently watching it and pulled up the page to see this Soviet-style monstrosity.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan