HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 8:31 PM

Very interesting anonymous comment:
Quote:
Not only is their equity wiped out, a loan default could potentially wipe out the Kushner's family fortune entirely. In the event of default (loan matures Feb 2019), the lenders already have the deed in escrow to take possession of the asset. Back in 2009 when I was a Jr. Analyst researching CMBS tranches, this loan was the worst performer of its pool by a mile. If they hadn't condo'ed, sold the retail portion of the building to pay down principle, and partnered with Steve Roth (I'm sure at at a massive discount to purchase price of the asset), they would have defaulted years ago.

Here's a great article explaining the dire nature of the building. A little long, but great reade's a great article explaining the dire nature of the building. A little long, but great read if you have time:

www.bloomberg.com/graphics/...

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 6:01 PM
New Yorker for life

https://therealdeal.com/2017/10/31/v...ypass-surgery/

Quote:
Asked about Kushner Companies’ plans to redevelop 666 Fifth Avenue, which it owns with Vornado, into a multi-billion-dollar condo and retail tower, Roth said “it’s likely those are not feasible” and that the tower will remain an office building. “It’s overleveraged, which is an issue,” Roth said, but claimed that the company isn’t too concerned because it paid little money for its stake in the office portion. “We look upon it as if it’s a mezz loan warrant,” he said.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
So, the 1.400ft tower will no longer be built?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 7:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky88 View Post
So, the 1.400ft tower will no longer be built?
Who knows? A decision hasn't been made.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 8:25 PM

It would be cool if they did.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 12:41 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I have my doubts about this one at the moment. Best to wait it out. I think something will rise, but IDK if it will be the original plan. Again, best to wait it out. There are other fish in the sea the moment to focus on.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 4:26 AM
New Yorker for life

https://therealdeal.com/2018/02/12/v...-in-666-fifth/

Vornado officially plans to sell its stake in 666 Fifth
CEO Steve Roth hinted that this was coming in April shareholder call

By Will Parker
February 12, 2018

Quote:
Vornado Realty Trust plans to sell its 49.5 percent stake in Kushner Companies’ Midtown office tower at 666 Fifth Avenue, according to an annual performance report it filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

Kushner Companies has eyed a grand renovation and redevelopment of 666 Fifth into a 1,400-foot tall luxury condo, hotel and retail center, but has struggled to find the necessary financing. Vornado was well known to not be keen on the idea, with Roth saying just last fall that it was “likely not feasible.”

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 11:44 AM
BANNED

Ross was an obstacle to redevelopment, so I'm pleased that he's selling.

I suspect that Kushner will lose this tower in a foreclosure, but hopefully, the new owner will redevelop it.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 2:00 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Kushner Companies needs to have very little stake in this. Kinda shaky right now, and the whole political climate doesn't help.

In the end, this address is a fine whiskey. Let it sit, age, and it only becomes a richer opportunity when the time is right.

Ideally, both stakeholders sell, one is going to be out soon, and just let it go on the market again until the moment comes where it can shine.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 2:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Kushner Companies needs to have very little stake in this. Kinda shaky right now, and the whole political climate doesn't help.

In the end, this address is a fine whiskey. Let it sit, age, and it only becomes a richer opportunity when the time is right.

Ideally, both stakeholders sell, one is going to be out soon, and just let it go on the market again until the moment comes where it can shine.
I agree, Chris.

This is an old, inefficient building. It will never be trophy office space, despite its location. However, its location would make it a super prime hotel/residential tower.

I'd be happy to see it reskinned with a limestone and brick facade and converted to condos and a seven star hotel.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 3:24 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Could be. The Foster case study of 425 Park could very well manifest (probability) depending on how much demand there is. Its in a prime location.

With a height of 483′, its kinda underwhelming. With its large floor area, I think it would be a reduction in magnitude of what it could be.

It was bought for something close to 2 billion. A hotel portion could help with the revenue, some retail, maybe even some condos or rentals, but I do hope that it is stacked even further higher. I'd be a loss of potential with this property.

425 Park or 380 Madison come to mind where they stack a new tower a top of an existing one. Manhattan has become so land restrictive bar the West Side that we should expect many more 380 Madison developments in the future.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 3:06 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...e-from-vornado

Kushner Cos. in Talks to Buy 666 Fifth Ave. Stake From Vornado

By Caleb Melby
February 27, 2018

Quote:
Kushner Cos. is in negotiations to buy the 49.5 percent of a debt-laden office tower on Manhattan’s Fifth Avenue that it doesn’t already own from partner Vornado Realty Trust.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/kushner...ave-1519736400

Kushner Cos. in Talks to Buy Remaining Stake in 666 Fifth Ave.

By Peter Grant
Feb. 27, 2018

Quote:
A Vornado spokeswoman didn’t respond to a request for comment. In a fourth-quarter earnings call earlier this month, Vornado Chief Executive Steven Roth disclosed that the company was hoping to sell its stake in 666 Fifth.

“We would rather exit than stick it out,” he said.

A person familiar with the negotiations said a deal could be reached in a few months.

... if Vornado sells its stake, the most obvious buyer would be Kushner, because others might be reluctant to get involved in one of most closely scrutinized buildings in the world. Also, Charles Kushner might be willing to pay more because he knows the building so well, according to people in New York real-estate sales.

“Kushner is the logical buyer as he’s already in the deal and has a specific vision for the building,” said Woody Heller, co-head of Savills Studley’s capital markets group.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 7:02 PM

It's good to be the King('s son-in-law).

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 7:53 PM
BANNED

This is great news since Kushie is committed to redeveloping this POS.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 9:15 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
...if Vornado sells its stake, the most obvious buyer would be Kushner, because others might be reluctant to get involved in one of most closely scrutinized buildings in the world. Also, Charles Kushner might be willing to pay more because he knows the building so well, according to people in New York real-estate sales.

“Kushner is the logical buyer as he’s already in the deal and has a specific vision for the building,” said Woody Heller, co-head of Savills Studley’s capital markets group.

I think Charles Kushner is going all in on a redevelopment. Whether or not they are successful with that, we will see.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 9:26 PM

Very happy with this news.

Would not mind if they used another design, though. I'm not sold on the Hadid tower.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 10:06 PM
Show me the blueprints

He wants to get it under way before his inevitable prison sentence.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 10:44 PM
BANNED

If Kushner seeks to buy out Vornado, he must have a deep pocketed partner waiting in the wings. If he did not, I don't see how he wouldn't default when the loans come due next year.

This has the potential to be the BEST residential site in NYC.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 11:11 PM

Great news! I wanted this tower to start rising yesterday.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 11:36 PM
The Vomit Bag.

nocookie
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects