HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

150 North Riverside in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 11:50 PM

^^^Oh jeeze, do you really believe that all opinions are valid? I'm not saying it's the case here (or maybe I am based upon the interpretations of my comment?), but there is most definitely such a thing as an invalid opinion. Jenni McCarthy does not get to have her opinion that Vaccines cause Autism considered valid. The Westboro Baptist Church does not get to have their opinion that gays caused 9/11 considered valid. I couldn't go around telling people that, in my opinion, Garrett Kellher developed the 2000' tall Sears Tower in 1898 and have it be considered valid. Now of course we don't have the right to make people stop saying these things, but no, not all opinions are valid.

What I am complaining about is the repetitive expression of the same questionably valid opinion over and over again in multiple locations regardless of whether that opinion is topical. I also think it is one thing to "trash" (his words not mine, since apparently the phrase "talk shit" is extremely different than the phrase "trashing") McCaffrey in a thread about McCaffrey on matters of opinion, it is entirely another thing to keep bringing them up at random and then go on to start spinning wild speculation with specifics that you have absolutely no evidence is true.

Sam in the Loop does not get to have the opinion "Hines lost DLA Piper to 150 N Riverside" unless it is true. That is not a matter of opinion, it is a matter of fact. Maybe he is right, but I was under the impression that threads (i.e. Chicago Spire) get closed for "opinions" that are wild speculation. That's the last I'll have of this discussion because it is off topic and going nowhere fast.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 12:34 AM
Closed account

Are some of these new?

#

Last edited by Clarkkent2420; Sep 14, 2018 at 9:13 PM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 2:23 AM

^^Yeah, a few of those images do look new.

AT THE MOMENT, CHICAGO HAS TWO TALL BUILDINGS GOING UP RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO ONE ANOTHER NEAR LOTS OF POSITIVES: prime Chicago River frontage, the Wacker Drive employment base, West Loop hot spots and commuter train stations. But just as the neighbors share in the magnetism of their location, they also share a defining site limitation: active rail lines that run right through the two parcels and have to be accommodated by vaulting the buildings, or parts of them, up over the tracks.

- See more at: http://150northriverside.com/rail-li....lOdte6FG.dpuf

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 1:05 PM

Now we know which firm switched

West Loop office project lands private-equity firm for top floor
By: Ryan Ori March 19, 2014

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...-for-top-floor

Developer John O'Donnell landed a private-equity firm for the top floor of his planned West Loop office tower, luring the firm away from a rival office project next door.
Victory Park Capital Advisors LLC, which counts the Giordano's pizzeria chain among its local investments, is finalizing a long-term lease to move its headquarters to the top floor of Mr. O'Donnell's proposed 53-story building at 150 N. Riverside Plaza, confirmed Victory Park's broker, David Stein of Chicago-based Steinco Inc. The firm will lease about 25,000 square feet in the 1.2 million square foot project.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 6:03 PM
BANNED

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkkent2420 View Post

Ugh. Just awful. Looks like it was designed in MS Paint.

And what the hell is this? Why is this acceptable to all of you?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 6:09 PM

Maybe because Lake Street is a service corridor?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 6:40 PM
BANNED

'Servo, you're taking exception to what is essentially the best looking "parking podium" in the city. It's a parking garage, situated over existing railroad tracks, adjacent to existing railroad tracks, yet most won't even know it's there. Keep in mind- you'll likely never see it from these vantage points. Is something with more of a grid pattern what you would have designed?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 6:46 PM

Anyone else notice the texture created by shadows from the facade on the video from the 150 North Riverside Website? I don't remember ever reading about this design feature but if it's subtle it could be pretty cool.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 7:24 PM
BANNED

^It's Goettsch's take on the rippling waters of the Chicago River. It's definitely a cool, yet subtle way to enhance an all-glass facade.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 9:02 PM
MPLSXCHI

Servo hahahaha you are correct about the park but the base doesn't look that bad

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 9:31 PM

I wonder if they know how much it will cost to keep all that green space watered. It looks bigger than the Lurie garden. I picture it getting replaced with astroturf as soon as the first water bill arrives.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 12:18 PM
Closed account

Objections are what?

#

Last edited by Clarkkent2420; Sep 14, 2018 at 9:14 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 5:41 PM
BANNED

First of all, the building across the street is built on the same size lot and is also cantilevered over the tracks. Second, I never said I didn't like the building itself; I do.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 8:54 PM
1st Ward

It would be interesting if they constructed the south portion of that plaza in such a way that it allowed for an expansion or a 2nd tower to be built on the site. Essentially, they'd just need to mimic the foundation work they are going to do for the actual tower itself on the north end of the site.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 9:33 PM
Closed account

#

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 9:39 PM
Windy City Dan

Quote:
The building across the street (assume you mean Hines) does NOT cantilever over the tracks, and has zero at-grade plaza (entire site is between 15 and 30 ft above sidewalk).
I believe he's referring to the Boeing building.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 10:20 PM
Closed account

#

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 7:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Apples and grapes. If it is supported by a perimeter column then it isn't a cantilever, and the site is 70% of the size, and 80% of the site is occupied by building footprint.
Despite being flush with the street, a large portion of that building doesn't touch the ground; it is cantilevered over the tracks. And yes, it is apples and oranges. I was simply pointing out that there is a building directly across the street that has nearly identical site limitations as this one.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 2:25 PM
Closed account

#

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Despite being flush with the street, a large portion of that building doesn't touch the ground; it is cantilevered over the tracks. And yes, it is apples and oranges. I was simply pointing out that there is a building directly across the street that has nearly identical site limitations as this one.
Just because it's there - doesn't mean we get to use it.

Yesterday ..... 300 N LaSalle

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive