HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 6:04 AM

Winnipeg | 3021 Pembina Hwy |13 Floors + 15 Floors | U/C

3015 Pembina Highway
Developer: Private Pension Partners
Architects: Affinity Architecture Inc
Contractor: Unknown
Media: Mystery revealed
Renderings & Construction pics: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...3&postcount=92
Description: 2 apartment towers 15 and 16 storeys, combined 406 residential units

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/View...ctionId=487250

Quote:
Mystery revealed
Two-tower apartment complex to rise on Pembina
By: Bill Redekop | Posted: 01/23/2019 5:25 PM

Developers behind a major construction project on South Pembina Highway have begun teasing local residents with a two-metre high sign featuring only a lone question mark.

Coun. Janice Lukes (Waverley West) amped up curiosity further with her tweet on social media that people should "watch for more cranes on Pembina!"

The location is a five-acre parcel of land at 3021 Pembina that has sat empty for more than a decade.

A two-tower apartment complex at the 3021 Pembina site was granted initial approval at a Riel community committee last year. Developers have promised the building facades won't be boring.

The site was fenced off several weeks ago, indicating officials are getting ready for construction that is supposed to take two years.

A project official confirmed partners now hope to begin construction within the year but the design of the complex is still under wraps. They are also still getting all the building permits.

"There are a lot of moving parts before we release anything," said Karl Loepp, chief operating officer of Private Pension Partners, which is spearheading the project.

"The question mark was for the community to get excited about something. This is an important landmark for the community and we want to get it right," Loepp said.

The site is just north of Bairdmore Boulevard between two gas stations. It was once a car dealership and is owned by Ashok Dilawri, president of Crown Auto Group. Dilawri is also an investor in the apartment complex.

The two residential towers are expected to house about 600 people in 410 units. The towers will total 15,000 square feet and include commercial development on the ground floors.

A rooftop dog run and patio, gym, bike storage with a maintenance area, a park and an outdoor running track are all proposed as part of the project. The ground floor was rezoned for commercial use last year and could support a grocery store, hairstylist, physician, and other lifestyle services providers.

The project's target demographic has not been stated but Lukes said it is not students. It is more likely to appeal to people moving into the city from rural Manitoba and people wanting to rent apartments rather than tie up their money in a condo.

Developers held a brainstorming session recently with architects and planners to discuss the building design. Developers have previously stated they want it to be a "gateway marker" with a "bold" and "dynamic" design.

"Two towers have the ability to be very impactful," said Lukes. "It's a gateway to the City of Winnipeg. People will come through St. Norbert, and pow, right?"

The first residential tower will be 13 storeys (160 feet) and have 172 residential units. The second tower will be 15 storeys with 238 units.

The units will range in size from 600- to 1,200 square feet with varying numbers of bedrooms. Each unit will have a balcony. There will be parking for several hundred vehicles, including underground parking, plus 98 outdoor and indoor bicycle stalls.

Lukes hasn't heard a cost figure but apartments that size typically go in the $50-$70 million range, and this is two towers, she said.

Danny Serhal of Affinity Architecture is the architect. Project leader Private Pension Partners have been active developers in Winnipeg lately, having recently completed a large apartment complex on Sterling Lyon Parkway across from Cabela's.

bill.redekop@freepress.mb.ca
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...504772812.html

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; May 9, 2020 at 1:13 AM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 7:01 AM

I’m posting like a typical Winnipegger on here...

Ugh, gross, it looks stupid, is that a wing, it’s like something I’ve seen in Russia, I could do better than this, why? Why? Why? I’ll believe it when I see it, why did they pick those colours? Are these the final renderings...I hope not. What’s with the so and so, why can’t they build something like this (insert building in Toronto)

Nailed it.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 7:25 AM
Winnipeg

Does Toronto even has many buildings beautiful and not generic like this?

Well partly I'm joking.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 7:30 AM
Winnipeg

In addition, it seems that the 2 floors of "atrium" at the top are going to be the hottest units of them all

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 11:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcity View Post

Ugh, gross, it looks stupid, is that a wing, it’s like something I’ve seen in Russia, I could do better than this, why? Why? Why? I’ll believe it when I see it, why did they pick those colours? Are these the final renderings...I hope not. What’s with the so and so, why can’t they build something like this (insert building in Toronto)

Nailed it.
Gosh darn it you’re doing it right, you might want to add, are those balconies, they look more like planters in the redndering!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 2:16 PM

The developer Private Pension Partners seems to have flown under the radar. They have a few projects on the go, including 221 Stradbrook.

http://privatepensionpartners.com/projects/

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 3:15 PM
There is always a way

It's alright. Nice to see infill but it should be better if it were near an rt station
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 3:16 PM

Quote:

Nailed it.
So very, very true. I honestly don't know if I should laugh or cry.

On the plus side i think those apartments look quite nice. They would look better downtown, of course....

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 3:37 PM

The article says this isn’t the final design, although it is Affinity Architecture so I wouldn’t count on it being much of an improvement above this initial rendering.

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 3:54 PM

Rabble rabble rabble. lol

A couple large projects down Pembina, with the other one at Bison Dr underway (I think). Targeting the university crowd no doubt.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 4:17 PM

It's interesting that Janice Lukes says that the target demographic is not students. While they may not be targeted I have no doubt they will still be the primary renters... This development plus the actual student housing at Pembina/Bison will be much needed additions for the area

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 5:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingDuck View Post
It's interesting that Janice Lukes says that the target demographic is not students. While they may not be targeted I have no doubt they will still be the primary renters... This development plus the actual student housing at Pembina/Bison will be much needed additions for the area
With some of the apartments as small as 600 sq. ft. no clueless Janice students won't rent those!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingDuck View Post
I doubt many students can afford to live in brand-new construction.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 5:50 PM

Quote:

Nailed it.
Here is my insert for buildings in Toronto area (Absolute Condos in Mississauga). I wonder if this kind cutting edge design would ever make it to Winnipeg?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 5:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
You wouldn't expect students to drive new Audi's, BMW's and Mercedes either but they do!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 5:59 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
Waverly West is full of foreign students living in new homes bought by parents.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
You wouldn't expect students to drive new Audi's, BMW's and Mercedes either but they do!
Things have definitely changed since my university days, when a Pontiac Grand Prix was considered a head turning vehicle on campus...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 1:59 AM
BANNED

Being a man of Finnish background that grew up in Fort Garry, this is the greatest day of my life, and that includes the night I lost my virginity in 1994.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
With some of the apartments as small as 600 sq. ft. no clueless Janice students won't rent those!
I actually would. 600 sq ft isn't that small

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asher__jo View Post
I actually would. 600 sq ft isn't that small
Isn't that about the standard size for a 1 bedroom in basically every building built since forever? I can't really think of any 1 bedroom units I've seen anywhere that are much larger than that and people certainly live in them

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan