HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Nov 3, 2008, 2:27 PM
low life in a tall place

Another Copenhagen project, by MVRDV. It's called "Sky Village".

Old Posted Nov 3, 2008, 3:01 PM

Because buildings that look like they might fall over on you = great urban design.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2008, 3:02 PM
Registered

^ In projects like this one, it's really the engineering that's interesting.... the architect's role is mostly just cooking up something to drive the engineers crazy. I don't see anything especially appealing about the design from an architectural sense, but I don't know the context or reason behind it. I could see something like this working very well, for instance, in downtown Chicago where there was a historic building underneath the cantilever.

Mostly though, I'm curious to see how the engineers handle tht one...

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
also, Atomic Glee, you do know that huge plazas in front of buildings in NOT a modernist invention... it actually comes out of the classical world, which i thought you loved?
The rendering you posted looks terrible and is exactly the kind of barren and uninviting open space beloved since the towers in the park took over.

And if you honestly can't tell the difference between plazas used in a traditional context and order and these modernist plazas, then I'm not sure what to say to convince you otherwise (not that I could do so even if I could find the words). Needless to say, there are a variety of differences between classic traditional plazas and these modernist ones (which have been pretty nice articulated by other posters).

Old Posted Nov 6, 2008, 8:10 PM
BANNED

Svalbard Science Centre
Jarmund/Vigsnæs AS Architects MNAL
Quote:
The major 8,500m2 addition to a university research building in Svalbard - located halfway between northern Norway and the North Pole where temperatures as low as -50°C are encountered - was designed by Norwegian architects Jarmund/Vigsnæs AS Architects MNAL. An insulated copper-clad skin is wrapped around the complex spaces demanded by the brief, creating an outer shell adjusted to the flows of wind and snow passing through the site. Copper also forms a key part of the restrained palette of internal materials.
http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...pload_id=10590

Old Posted Nov 6, 2008, 8:20 PM

I'm neither a structural engineer nor a materials scientist, but I do know that copper is quite a malleable metal; wouldn't using copper in such an extreme climate lead to serious warping and deformation? Or would this be preferable to something stronger that might prove brittle and prone to cracking? I guess that as long as it stays cold and there aren't severe variations in temperature then it would be alright.

At any rate, very neat structures, and those gorgeous, warm interiors belie both the exterior structure and the cold-ass environment outside.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2008, 10:47 PM
Registered

^^ Looks very Walter Netsch, including the interiors.

@ Jibba, your question is a complicated one. All metal expands and contracts with temperature change. Various metals do this to different extents. Other than change in temperature, corrosion can lead to volume change (in steel possibly quite severe - check out the untended window frames on Alumni Hall at IIT some day if you want to see the results of this), but since copper patinas, you wouldn't expect a lot of change from this cause.

Ultimately, the architect and the engineer need to put their heads together to design the cladding so that expansion can be addressed and incorporated into the structure. On a simple structure, these kinds of solutions manifest themselves as visible expansion joints. If the structure does not allow for movement, you will possibly see buckling in the metal.

If you develop a keen eye for these things, you can see many failed designs (bridges, buildings, etc) that have problems due to insufficient attention to these matters.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 2:42 AM
▓▒░

^^That's awesome just don't stick your tongue on it.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 10:36 PM
BANNED

another house in Japan

Quote:
N-House, Owani, Aomori, Japan
A low budget house that explores the depth of space
Constructed on a deep plot of land in snowy Aomori prefecture, this low budget project has a deep plan. This allowed for an exploration of a particular feel of transparence by making the depth of the space optically measurable through the introduction of in-between zones to separate the main spaces and cut through the space in the cross direction. The house exhibits a spatial quality that allows the experience of several other spaces beyond, extending the overall limits of the space.

In the length from the entrance, one can see through the living room, dining room and the Japanese room into the garden behind the house. These in-between zones work as separators as well as connectors, and as part of the circulation accessing the functions in the service zone (North-side), such as the staircase to the second floor, the bathroom, storage and toilets.

This is not a house built out of separate rooms but of spaces with transition zones, made changeable with sliding doors. Construction from simple but raw materials cut to modules of a dimension system gives homogeneity to the spaces.

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...pload_id=10593

Old Posted Nov 8, 2008, 4:47 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

As soon as I saw the Sky Village building, I knew it would end up in this thread.

The hand rails for the science center look like they would be perfect for radiators- and you would never have to touch a cold railing, either.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2008, 12:26 PM
if I sang out of tune

Another huge project by Suning in Nanjing, the Olympic Stadium tower. 400m.

Click on '南京奥体苏宁广场':
http://www.suningestate.com/Sn_gd.aspx

This is what skyscrapers should look like imo, part sculpture, part living space, part intervention.

I like how the horizontal ground level translates into the soaring skytower - that's a 'relationship' at work, and also reinforces the sense of height and scale, and accessibility for the pedestrian on the ground.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2008, 4:32 PM
BANNED

hey guys... i'll get back to posting in a little bit... but friday night i got hit by a van:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=160602

cheers all!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2008, 5:37 PM
low life in a tall place

Hope you're feeling better mate!

That Nanjing twister reminds me of a BIG proposal for the Scala site in Copenhagen's "metropole zone"

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 1:03 AM
Here we stAy

Fine, I'll shorten it myself.

The last few projects (going to the last page) have been great, but Sky Village is just way out of scale with its surroundings.

Last edited by ltsmotorsport; Nov 11, 2008 at 5:17 AM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 3:42 PM
BANNED

did you really have to quote all of that?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 5:05 PM
cities|transit|croissants

I edited it.

Anyway, this:

... is what this thread is all about. That is progressive on a whole different level than finding some new shape to sculpt.

And for the record, I like the fin. It gives an otherwise jumbled building some focus. Without the fin the building is too messy.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 6:01 PM
BANNED

Here's a interview on CBC with Frank Gehry about the new Art Gallery of Ontario. I don't know if it can only be seen on Canadian computers or what:
http://www.cbc.ca/national/blog/vide..._in_depth.html

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 10:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Leaf House, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Organic vibes connecting man with his environment
This project was inspired by Brazil's Indian architecture, perfectely suited for the hot and humid climate where it stands, Rio de Janeiro .The roof acts as a big leaf that protects from the hot sun all the enclosed spaces of the house, such as the verandas and the in-between open spaces. These last two types of space are the main social areas, the essence of the design. They allow trade winds from the sea to pass trough the building, providing natural ventilation and passive cooling.

The architects see this as low-tech ecoefficiency where it has the greatest impact; as the concept of the architectural design. Mareines +Patalano, in agreement with the client, understand the idea of a tropical beach house as a means of enhancing the interaction between man and nature, trying not to separate them completely.

There are no corridors and inside and outside are almost fused. Rain water is harvested from the roof for re-use. With its natural finishes, organic aesthetics and richness of details, the house is in harmony with the exuberant brazilian nature.
http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...pload_id=10605

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 10:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Sheppard Robson Fashions a Gem for London Skyline
November 12, 2008
By Dianna Dilworth

The million-dollar view to London’s House of Parliament and Westminster Bridge will soon include a jewel-like addition.

Sheppard Robson, based in London, is working with real estate investment firm Delancey to make way for a new 345,000-square-foot, 12-story building located in the South Bank neighborhood, near the Thames River. Named Westminster Place, which refers to its view of the famous Westminster borough across the river, the building resembles a cut gemstone. “Because it looks at the House of Parliament, we wanted to create a design that would be appropriate as a landmark for the skyline,” says David Ardill, design director at Sheppard Robson.

The circular building's facade comprises two layers of continuous glass. The inner layer is double-glazed and consists of a series of vertical bands, while the outer skin is supported by a crisscross pattern of dichroic glass fins. Structural steel columns shaped like prongs support the curtain wall, calling to mind a setting for a diamond engagement ring.

The original plan for this project was created by Kohn Pedersen Fox. By the time construction was set to begin, it did not meet new sustainability requirements established by the city. In the fall of 2007, Sheppard Robson was brought in to review the KPF scheme and to ensure it conformed to the new rules.

Sheppard Robson proposed the revamped design in September 2007, and city planners gave it the green light in June. Construction is slated to begin in February 2009.
http://archrecord.construction.com/n...1112london.asp

from Sheppard Robson's site
http://www.sheppardrobson.com/projec...ojectID=100034

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 11:38 PM
BANNED

^^^ Now that is what I am talking about, glassy modern buildings that look like they are on acid because they are all colored.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture