HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 7:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by displacednewfie View Post
Actually it's not so much the attitude of the folks or location of the folks, but rather it comes down to $$$$. There simply is not enough disposable income here in the area that could sustain even a watered down version of WEM (not yet anyways).

Personally what I think needs to happen with the Avalon Mall is:
A). Ownership Chage
B). Shopping options that reflect what people want or wear.
The cash per capita is actually quite high. I really don't know what your talking about.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by displacednewfie View Post
Actually it's not so much the attitude of the folks or location of the folks, but rather it comes down to $$$$. There simply is not enough disposable income here in the area that could sustain even a watered down version of WEM (not yet anyways).

Personally what I think needs to happen with the Avalon Mall is:
A). Ownership Chage
B). Shopping options that reflect what people want or wear.
There's a lot more disposable income in St. John's then a lot of other cities in Canada. Our small population is a bigger issue.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 10:55 AM

Seems like they have started laying footings for the KMK office/retail complex at Hebron Way. Was down that way yesterday and there's activity at the site. Should be a nice addition to the area.

Now if only Cineplex would get started. Beginning to think this project might be dead after the sale of Empire Cinemas this past year to Cineplex. Anyone hear anything regarding a start date?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 12:46 PM

The new Canadian Tire store on Hebron Way is now opened. I think that was one of the quickest big box construction projects that I've ever seen from the point of construction to opening.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 3:33 PM

Went to the new Canadian Tire on Hebron Way last night. Big store and it was blocked, no surprise there.

I also noticed that Milestones was open, that was also packed - also no surprise there.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Seems like they have started laying footings for the KMK office/retail complex at Hebron Way. Was down that way yesterday and there's activity at the site. Should be a nice addition to the area.

Now if only Cineplex would get started. Beginning to think this project might be dead after the sale of Empire Cinemas this past year to Cineplex. Anyone hear anything regarding a start date?
Is that the construction next to Starbucks?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 5:21 PM

Quote:

It will be pretty pathetic for St. John's if the new cinema doesn't go ahead. Going to a movie at the Avalon Mall is by far the worst experience of any cinema I have been to (in terms of wait times for tickets and concessions and prices), and I've been to movies in seven provinces and a dozen US states.

I did a quick search on cities in Canada with somewhat similar sizes and the number of theatres they have and St. John's is failing big time

Saskatoon

Regina

Sherbrook

Kelowna

Kingston

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChills View Post
It will be pretty pathetic for St. John's if the new cinema doesn't go ahead. Going to a movie at the Avalon Mall is by far the worst experience of any cinema I have been to (in terms of wait times for tickets and concessions and prices)
I agree with you here. There appears to be a big need for another theatre, the Avalon Mall location is not enough and Mount Pearl Square (i.e. Eastern Health facility) is pretty much out of the discussion. But Cineplex buying Empire Theatres has thrown everything into question. There's speculation the theatre is not going ahead but official yet, as far as I know. Hopefully we will hear something official soon. That's the problem around here, there always seems to be a 'black box' method to development - very frustrating at times!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 2:25 AM

Yes, the building under construction behind Starbucks and Milestones is the new KMK Real Estate building which will be offices and retail on the first floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Is that the construction next to Starbucks?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 2:22 AM

Haven't been in and around Paradise since late summer. Noticed that the new Sobeys store is all constructed. Found it kinda odd though that it's positioned back on to McNamara Drive. Looks really weird. Anyone know why they did this?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 11:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I agree with you here. There appears to be a big need for another theatre, the Avalon Mall location is not enough and Mount Pearl Square (i.e. Eastern Health facility) is pretty much out of the discussion. But Cineplex buying Empire Theatres has thrown everything into question. There's speculation the theatre is not going ahead but official yet, as far as I know. Hopefully we will hear something official soon. That's the problem around here, there always seems to be a 'black box' method to development - very frustrating at times!
Would love to see one downtown, it'd really add that extra dimension to our nightlife.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Would love to see one downtown, it'd really add that extra dimension to our nightlife.
Yeah, you know that's not gonna happen.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 12:14 PM

They now have the cinemas in the Avalon Mall rebranded as "The Scotiabank Theatres by Cineplex Entertainment".

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 9:24 PM

Reitman's has announced it will shut down its Smart Set chain of stores.
http://t.thestar.com/#/article/busin...et_banner.html

Also heard but not confirmed that Eddie Bauer is closing its Avalon Mall store.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Reitman's has announced it will shut down its Smart Set chain of stores.
http://t.thestar.com/#/article/busin...et_banner.html

Also heard but not confirmed that Eddie Bauer is closing its Avalon Mall store.
Nothing surprising about Smart Set, the writing was on the wall for them.

As for Eddie Bauer, if this is indeed true I wonder if Avalon Mall store is closing due to lagging sales or this is one of many on the chopping block? I would tend to think the latter but I guess that remains to be seen. Eddie Bauer is a big store, that'll be a lot of space to fill.... speculation anyone????

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 3:00 AM

I'm sure avalon mall won't have any trouble leasing space when other stores close.

Quote:
Nothing surprising about Smart Set, the writing was on the wall for them.

As for Eddie Bauer, if this is indeed true I wonder if Avalon Mall store is closing due to lagging sales or this is one of many on the chopping block? I would tend to think the latter but I guess that remains to be seen. Eddie Bauer is a big store, that'll be a lot of space to fill.... speculation anyone????

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I'm sure avalon mall won't have any trouble leasing space when other stores close.
Sorry, my last post was poorly written. What I meant by 'speculation' was who do people think a new possible tenant could be? I have no doubt the space will be filled.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 6:24 PM

No worries man.

I would say they will probably fill it with yet another lingerie store, LOL.

Quote:
Sorry, my last post was poorly written. What I meant by 'speculation' was who do people think a new possible tenant could be? I have no doubt the space will be filled.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 9:49 PM

Smart Set's space is already going to some store called La vie en rose, which is a ....*drumroll* lingerie store.

Bogarts has moved into their new store, leaving their old location vacant.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Smart Set's space is already going to some store called La vie en rose, which is a ....*drumroll* lingerie store.

Bogarts has moved into their new store, leaving their old location vacant.
Bootlegger will be moving into that space, taking both GoGames / Calander Club and the vacant lot.

Sephora will be taking the Bootlegger and Ricki's space. Ricki's is closing for good, I believe.

Big Deals, similar to XS Cargo (possibly mixed with Biway) is moving into the old Spirit Halloween location. Should be interesting to see if that store can make a go of it, as shipping to NL is very expensive now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's