HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalextropy View Post
so in your alterntive timeline if my last name is cohen do i get to be supreme judge?
If you want to.

Appearing here are the World Health Organization HQ, Lucius Council HQ, and the entirely new Snelson Centre, with the Jaliva District appearing across the bay in the distance.

Snelson Centre is the World Capitol Project's new tallest building, standing at 2,771 feet. For perspective, it is also the only building in my model to be slightly taller than the real-world Burj Khalifa.

Snelson Centre is comprised of four free standing towers which are linked to the main tower via skybridges. It is mixed use, housing World Welfare and Good Will Services, International Embassies, Major Corporations, and the State Leisure Organization, which operates a cruise ship terminal there.

The alternate-reality version of Titanic, which has seven stacks and is longer than the real-world ship, makes its first appearance here as well.

Snelson Towers:

For fun, I went into the archives and pulled up a few old shots of World Capitol Project back when it was first getting started two years ago. Here is the Daventry District as it looked in October 2009, before I decided to scrap the textures:

And here is what the World Capitol Project looked like at the end of my first day working on it in in January 2010:

Progress as of February 2010:

And I'll leave you with this daytime shot:

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 3:28 AM

The new TLS I (Totenkopf Land Ship First Class) guards New Babylon streets as part of the city's elite guard. While in the peaceful urban context of the world capitol, it serves as an ornamental peace keeper. Citizens who behold these tanks stationed on many major avenues are reminded of the entire power of the State.

On the battlefield, it is equipped as a high capacity troop carrier, operations center, and mobile fortress. Even without firing its battleship-grade canons, it has enough brute force and mass to destroy enemy installations just by rolling through them.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 11:10 PM

Old Posted Jan 1, 2012, 7:13 PM

The Temple of Loyalty, built to honor the Goddess Fides, is home to the FFF (Federation of Federal Fraternities). The FFF is a worldwide network of social agencies in the context of the World Capitol Project timeline.

The temple has 31 steps, each representing a unique philosophical principle. It has 38 pillars which are 38 feet apart and 38 feet tall. It houses a four story building within. The pinnacles are decorated with hourglasses.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2012, 11:06 PM

Last edited by JHoward88; Jan 2, 2012 at 3:08 AM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 6:37 PM

Cool stuff, glad to see you still working on this, probably the most individual city we have on here! Temple of Loyalty's interior reminds me of the Spanish cemeteries that are often stacked on top of one another - famous one in BArcelona.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 6:45 AM

Thanks to all of you who have remained interested in this project for the long haul.

A view of the southern end of the city, showing the Temple and Airship Terminal, against the backdrop of Victory Stadium and the Hydroponics Towers. The south end Financial District and Department of Public Works & Corrections facility are in the distance:

World Capitol Project is currently fully stored in two separate Sketchup model files. The central and northern districts are stored in one file which is 85 MB, and the southern and western districts are stored in a second file which is about 60 MB.

I'm still waiting for the optimal time to buy my new system, but I strongly expect to buy it between now and April. Once that happens, I'll merge the two models, fill in the gaps, and finish building the rest of the city's rough models. By the end of the year, I expect to have the city model as a whole completed and begin on the longer process of adding small details throughout, such as street-level props, flora, and (possibly) textures.

Last edited by JHoward88; Jan 3, 2012 at 7:38 AM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 9:28 AM

Wow, still a lot of work. I look forward to seeing the 2 halves merge. Textures may help to give it better scale, I know some of those buildings are in reality enormous. If you could add atmospherics like fog (not sure if you can do this in Sketchup or rendering software) that would also help to give it scale.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 12:06 PM

Wow, there's some really huge projects it there! I like the temple a lot. It would be nice to see some people on those stairs to really get a feel of its huge size. Do those columns have a star profile? I can't quite tell.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 6:13 PM

Quiet impressive last shot. I don't think it would be illegal or taboo to use the Japanese character for "Bhudist Temple" for those red black and white flags, what do the mods think?

This whole city serves us an invaluable service by allowing us to so clearly see the contrast between this unique city and all the others.

How can you know light when you see it if you've never experienced darkness? And would you want all of either and none of the other?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 6:10 AM

Are you sill working on this? I really like it!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 6:41 AM

^ Yes, I am still working on this. It's still primarily on hold though, as my current computer can't process the size of its file.

Nazi architectural aesthetics are definitely one of the influences represented in this model. My comment on that is that should one oppose Nazi aesthetics upon grounds that racial hatred is wrong, one might just as appropriately suggest that we bulldoze the Coliseum upon the grounds that gladiator fights are unethical.

The columns on the Temple of Loyalty are shaped in the form of the 8 pointed "intertwined hourglasses" pattern which appears in Post 141. The symbol is intended to portray four of the symbols "Ʃx" (Summation operators), which together aesthetically represent the force of reason to the power of body, mind, spirit, and circumstance; powers which, if used properly together constitute the pillars of sound government.

It is my plan to eventually have street level details, possibly textures, and definitely an array of cars and objects to give the model a sense of perspective. There will also be low density residential and industrial districts on the outskirts which will help provide a sense of expanse.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 6:05 PM

Make a wallpaper for this please! I so want to see this every time I log on to my computer.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 3:26 AM

^ Images appropriate for desktop themes:

Interstate Highway System:

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 12:23 PM

Very impressive, especially the first shot!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 2:21 AM

The expressway, a 20-lane freeway, begins in the heart of the city and ends at the Trans-Oceanic Ferry Terminal. In this city's alternate timeline, sea travel remains more prevalent than air travel for purposes of connecting the Britannic Island to European Mainland and Trans-Atlantic destinations.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:30 AM

Wow that looks really cool

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:37 AM

A rough draft of what will be the model's tallest structure appears below. The Worldgate Arch will be home to the world headquarters of Trans-Oceanic, containing a massive multi-level public retail and commercial destination and luxury condominiums.

With one foot in the water and one on land, Worldgate will tower well over four thousand feet into the air. The first sight seen by visitors upon arrival and the last sight seen by those departing, it will be the city's final, grandest monument.

When it is complete and detailed, it may take a different appearance and form. The model presented below is primarily there for scale. Interjecting the context of realism into this post, it should be noted that this imagined tower - though of epic, nearly ridiculous scale - remains shorter and possibly less fantastic than some buildings proposed in real life as allegedly plausible by actual architects.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 6:09 AM

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 4:47 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

daaaaang, haven't seen this in a while! you really got a lot done! how tall is that bridge? it looks like a mile tall!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup