HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #46341  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 4:22 PM
Busy Bee's Avatar
Busy Bee Busy Bee is offline
Leftist Correctist
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: on the artistic spectrum
Posts: 6,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post

Nice density, but if they could somehow make it look less cheap and less 2019 they would be doing the neighborhood a real favor for the future.
__________________
Trumpism is the road to ruin
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46342  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 5:57 PM
kolchak's Avatar
kolchak kolchak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan ryan View Post
Idk, it's kind of fun. Do you really think the store will fail?

Our first priority should be the Burberry store.
Agreed there.

The Crate and Barrell store is garish and the proportions are bad. Its clunky and mall like and I didnt like it when it opened and still don't. Some here like it. Different strokes..

But in a classic and cultured city having 'The World's Largest Starbucks'? That's for other places imo.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46343  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 6:21 PM
RedCorsair87 RedCorsair87 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 367
While I would like to see most of the non-landmarked buildings on Michigan Ave eventually replaced with beautiful high-rises, I am not opposed to corporate brands reinventing themselves with new concepts and testing them in our city. Chicago USED TO BE a (the) center of innovation in this country. A more extravagant Starbucks by itself is not going to change that image, but these new concepts/structures/retail + dining experiences (McDonalds in River North, the MacBook shaped Apple Store on the river or the Starbucks version of Willy Wonka on Mich. Ave are a start.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46344  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 6:55 PM
kolchak's Avatar
kolchak kolchak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
While I would like to see most of the non-landmarked buildings on Michigan Ave eventually replaced with beautiful high-rises, I am not opposed to corporate brands reinventing themselves with new concepts and testing them in our city. Chicago USED TO BE a (the) center of innovation in this country. A more extravagant Starbucks by itself is not going to change that image, but these new concepts/structures/retail + dining experiences (McDonalds in River North, the MacBook shaped Apple Store on the river or the Starbucks version of Willy Wonka on Mich. Ave are a start.
Your point is totally valid. However I personally prefer when its Chicago ideas and companies. McDonalds gets a pass. But I don't like the Apple Store at all. I'll visit the Starbucks in December when I'm in town next and try to reserve judgement until then.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46345  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 6:59 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 13,884
^ The Starbucks Roastery is very tastefully done, with legitimately good pastries, pizza, and experimental/advanced coffee drinks, and good architecture. I don't think it's any more hokey than Eataly, for example.

The "world's largest" claim gets a lot of press, but that really misses the point entirely IMO.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46346  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 7:59 PM
mark0 mark0 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
While I would like to see most of the non-landmarked buildings on Michigan Ave eventually replaced with beautiful high-rises, I am not opposed to corporate brands reinventing themselves with new concepts and testing them in our city. Chicago USED TO BE a (the) center of innovation in this country. A more extravagant Starbucks by itself is not going to change that image, but these new concepts/structures/retail + dining experiences (McDonalds in River North, the MacBook shaped Apple Store on the river or the Starbucks version of Willy Wonka on Mich. Ave are a start.
I was at the opening of the first SBUX Reserve in Shanghai. It was a total gimmicky retail experience then and I'm sure two years later it's even worse. The interior design was top notch. The offerings went well beyond what a typical Starbucks offers. The production floor and educational vignettes were cool, you could point your phone at things and it would explain the process. At the end of the day however I was completely aware I was in a giant retail commercial, like a rain forest cafe for adults, and the whole thing stank of a misguided attempt to stay relevant in fading consumerist era we are moving away from not towards. It seemed far more relevant in China than the States. Maybe I'm just getting old and a bit of a curmudgeon but at the end of the day who wants to drink coffee with a thousand tourists? It's the antithesis of coffee culture. These food halls on the other hand are very European in concept and I think going to be ultimately successful. This could have made a great food hall / market.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46347  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 10:23 PM
urbanpln urbanpln is offline
urbanpln
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: chicago
Posts: 248
Eataly has a kinda food hall vibe, and I totally agree this would have made a great food hall concept. Michigan Avenue seems to be diversifying. There are more eat/drink options than it was 5-10 years ago.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46348  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 11:05 PM
djc2 djc2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8
Sears Redevelopment from Above







Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46349  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 1:34 AM
rivernorthlurker rivernorthlurker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc2 View Post
Sears Redevelopment from Above







This makes me so happy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46350  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 4:05 AM
Skyguy_7's Avatar
Skyguy_7 Skyguy_7 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,256
^It is so great. A tremendous improvement.

But can someone please tell me what more we’ll be seeing for the $500 million investment? I know there’s an observation deck component.. I am just secretly holding out hope they reclad the tower like was once planned. Just imagine that new smoke glass and shiny black millions going all the way up!
__________________
He Does Not Have To Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46351  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 4:39 AM
Bonsai Tree's Avatar
Bonsai Tree Bonsai Tree is offline
Small but Mighty
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^It is so great. A tremendous improvement.

But can someone please tell me what more we’ll be seeing for the $500 million investment? I know there’s an observation deck component.. I am just secretly holding out hope they reclad the tower like was once planned. Just imagine that new smoke glass and shiny black millions going all the way up!
Wait a second. Didn't you just call out skysoar for arguing the same thing, just on a different building? Not to call you out but. . . . I got to. Anyway, why don't we just call it a day and leave the cladding alone?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46352  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 2:15 PM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^It is so great. A tremendous improvement.

But can someone please tell me what more we’ll be seeing for the $500 million investment? I know there’s an observation deck component.. I am just secretly holding out hope they reclad the tower like was once planned. Just imagine that new smoke glass and shiny black millions going all the way up!
WTF no, the Sears needs no updating or "improvement" aside from the base.

The $500 million is likely mostly stuff you will never see like HVAC, electrical, and plumbing upgrades. What do you think a new electrical service costs for a building of this scale? How many thousands of tons of AC does this building require? That ain't cheap. I'm looking at a $1.5 million bill to install an RTU and trunk lines (no distribution even) for a 80,000 SF building. Now multiply that by like 50+ times to get a cost for Sears...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46353  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 2:44 PM
k1052 k1052 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0 View Post
I was at the opening of the first SBUX Reserve in Shanghai. It was a total gimmicky retail experience then and I'm sure two years later it's even worse. The interior design was top notch. The offerings went well beyond what a typical Starbucks offers. The production floor and educational vignettes were cool, you could point your phone at things and it would explain the process. At the end of the day however I was completely aware I was in a giant retail commercial, like a rain forest cafe for adults, and the whole thing stank of a misguided attempt to stay relevant in fading consumerist era we are moving away from not towards. It seemed far more relevant in China than the States. Maybe I'm just getting old and a bit of a curmudgeon but at the end of the day who wants to drink coffee with a thousand tourists? It's the antithesis of coffee culture. These food halls on the other hand are very European in concept and I think going to be ultimately successful. This could have made a great food hall / market.
If they had plopped this thing in the West Loop I might be inclined to agree with some of this criticism but they didn't. It's on Michigan where a gimmicky retail experience is more appropriate IMO. I have only been to the NYC Roastery so far (will go to Chicago's when I'm back next week) but I have to agree with the comparison to Eataly based on what I've seen. The products were quality and the store design itself was top damn notch. My not easily impressed husband was along who has been deep in the retail world with a higher end company for many years was blown away by the design.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46354  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 2:47 PM
gebs's Avatar
gebs gebs is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: South Loop
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
WTF no, the Sears needs no updating or "improvement" aside from the base.

The $500 million is likely mostly stuff you will never see like HVAC, electrical, and plumbing upgrades. What do you think a new electrical service costs for a building of this scale? How many thousands of tons of AC does this building require? That ain't cheap. I'm looking at a $1.5 million bill to install an RTU and trunk lines (no distribution even) for a 80,000 SF building. Now multiply that by like 50+ times to get a cost for Sears...
To say nothing about the elevator systems overhaul, which had to be its own massive capital investment.

I've been walking around the interior of the new podium, watching as they add new furniture and light fixtures, surprised at each newly opened area. They're doing an amazing job, and the vendors that are already opened are slammed during lunch.

Plus, the 33rd floor amenity floor, which is 4-ish years old, is amazing. They've done a superb job with this icon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46355  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 3:04 PM
i_am_hydrogen i_am_hydrogen is offline
tilted & shifted
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,597
North Michigan Avenue is aglow for the holidays but some stores are more ‘meh’ than magnificent

By Blair Kamin
Chicago Tribune

When it comes to architecture, some of the flagship stores on Chicago’s Magnificent Mile are a lot less magnificent than others.

Apple and the new Starbucks Reserve Roastery Chicago — thumbs up! Disney and Burberry — a poke in the eye.

With the Mag Mile stretch of North Michigan Avenue about to be packed with holiday shoppers, the time is right to separate the good designs from the flops among the Mag Mile’s flagships.


https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...p3VqAzGX4MgTEc
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46356  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 9:00 PM
Rizzo Rizzo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,902
I think the only bad thing here is poorly done updates on the Mag mile or lack thereof. Disney store should be 3 floors and be an experience. 600 North and Chicago Place were considered good buildings in the 90’s. Slightly garish exaggeration in their details, but not clumsy. It’s just the tenant build-outs made them worse.

Burberry’s facade has survived a few Chicago winters and stood up well. That has to earn some points.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46357  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 11:26 PM
KWillChicago's Avatar
KWillChicago KWillChicago is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 796
I thought I remember seeing somwhere that the entire. sears elevator system overhaul was somewhere in the 90 million ballpark. I might have misread that awile back
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46358  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 3:32 AM
PerryPendleton PerryPendleton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 116
I like the Burberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
is the Burberry that bad?...its fairly new and thought added a bit of excitment to the mag mile... Tear down the intertercontinetal north tower (this was proposed awhile back to be replaced by 850ft tower)
People don't like the Burberry building? How could you dislike that? And how could you dislike the new Starbucks?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46359  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 7:00 PM
JK47 JK47 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^It is so great. A tremendous improvement.

But can someone please tell me what more we’ll be seeing for the $500 million investment? I know there’s an observation deck component.. I am just secretly holding out hope they reclad the tower like was once planned. Just imagine that new smoke glass and shiny black millions going all the way up!

Besides the base and the amenities therein the remainder went to upgrades to the HVAC system, the plumbing, and the new elevator system (new generators, control equipment (now using a destination dispatch system), and refreshed cabins. There's no plan to do anything to the exterior cladding of the tower.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46360  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 12:03 AM
spyguy's Avatar
spyguy spyguy is offline
THAT Guy
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,859
Lathrop Homes new construction looks solid

bKL Architecture
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:55 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.