HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #45541  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 2:34 PM
Handro Handro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
July 11, 2019



The Louis Vuitton branding has been removed. This is also the former MTV Real World house.

Louis Vuitton Opens Bright Orange Pop-Up Shop in Chicago's West Loop
I hope it stays bright orange. Cool pop in the neighborhood
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45542  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 2:53 PM
gebs's Avatar
gebs gebs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: South Loop
Posts: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
I hope it stays bright orange. Cool pop in the neighborhood
Not gonna happen. The new owners are planning on tearing it down: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update...05929695526912

"Be sure to check out @LouisVuitton I Virgil Abloh’s Chicago Residency at 1100 W Randolph while it lasts. The building looks fantastic but it won’t last long."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45543  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 3:19 PM
BrinChi BrinChi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 207
^ Criminal to tear it down. Bastards.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45544  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 4:14 PM
Handro Handro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
Not gonna happen. The new owners are planning on tearing it down: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update...05929695526912

"Be sure to check out @LouisVuitton I Virgil Abloh’s Chicago Residency at 1100 W Randolph while it lasts. The building looks fantastic but it won’t last long."
Wow that's really a shame... not just losing the cool paint job but losing the building...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45545  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 4:19 PM
Via Chicago Via Chicago is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,658
um how was that not included in the landmark district?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45546  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 4:21 PM
OrdoSeclorum OrdoSeclorum is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
Not gonna happen. The new owners are planning on tearing it down: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update...05929695526912

"Be sure to check out @LouisVuitton I Virgil Abloh’s Chicago Residency at 1100 W Randolph while it lasts. The building looks fantastic but it won’t last long."
Are you sure? That building IS a half block west of the border of the Fulton-Randolph historic district. But I inferred from that sentence that the PAINT JOB won't last long.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45547  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 4:48 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 17,635
Well, as long as they build something much taller and denser, no biggie
__________________
Eat less
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45548  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 5:28 PM
OrdoSeclorum OrdoSeclorum is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Well, as long as they build something much taller and denser, no biggie
I basically disagree. I really value density. And I think unfettered markets do a pretty good job of deciding how cities should get built out. But I also think that unique, old, irreplaceable building stock has a value to a city that isn't fully priced into its sale price, because that value is distributed in a space outside of the lot boundaries and is difficult to price and difficult to extract. In these cases, the market may not give a property owner a good mechanism to make decisions.

Even if that isn't true, old building stock can't ever be re-built. Once it's gone, it's gone. We might not understand right now what it will be worth in the future, so we should be humble and proceed cautiously when we approve of its destruction. We'll always have the chance to tear it down later, so I think of this as the "measure twice, cut once" approach to historic preservation.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45549  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 5:32 PM
Freefall Freefall is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
But I inferred from that sentence that the PAINT JOB won't last long.
That's how I read it too. That post doesn't imply the building will be demolished at all. Just the pop-up
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45550  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 6:08 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 17,635
If anything good comes out of one of the DSA Alderman's war on reality, it might be that this church gets landmarked:

https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2019...redevelopment/

But why do I get the feeling that nothing will get done for a long time?
__________________
Eat less
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45551  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 6:11 PM
Baronvonellis Baronvonellis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 856
The Broadway Marianos works as a free parking garage for the neighborhood at least. It's very hard to find parking in that area, but Marianos has a giant garage and you can basically park there till 10pm for free, and no one cares. Just walk downstairs through the store and out the door.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45552  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 6:23 PM
Kenmore Kenmore is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Uptown
Posts: 601
so suburban^
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45553  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 8:23 PM
dan ryan dan ryan is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
If anything good comes out of one of the DSA Alderman's war on reality, it might be that this church gets landmarked:

https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2019...redevelopment/

But why do I get the feeling that nothing will get done for a long time?
Can you please stop with the bad/hyperbolic political takes? It's embarrassing, and I thought that kind of stuff was supposed to be reserved for another venue on this site..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45554  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 9:29 PM
glowrock's Avatar
glowrock glowrock is offline
Becoming Chicago-fied!
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chicago (West Avondale)
Posts: 19,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
The Broadway Marianos works as a free parking garage for the neighborhood at least. It's very hard to find parking in that area, but Marianos has a giant garage and you can basically park there till 10pm for free, and no one cares. Just walk downstairs through the store and out the door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
so suburban^
Suburban, yet very true. Lakeview East has nearly zero available parking, either free or paid. While many of us think that's great, it does keep a good number of people away from patronizing the numerous shops and restaurants in the area, specifically along Broadway/Clark. I'd actually be fine with that garage being paid with say a 90 minute validation for Mariano's/other establishments. I kind of feel the same about the Treasure Island project proposed at Broadway/Cornelia. Parking in that area is so scarce already that I have no issues with a paid-parking garage situation, as long as the garage is well-disguised at street level.

Even the most urban environments need SOME available parking, otherwise those environments will never be able to cater to anyone but locals/city residents who can transit in. Again, not saying there should be surface lots everywhere, that's just disgusting. But garages can be well-designed and well-integrated into the fabric of the neighborhood.

Aaron (Glowrock)
__________________
"My first day in Chicago, September 4, 1983. I set foot in this city, and just walking down the street, it was like roots, like the motherland. I knew I belonged here." -- Oprah Winfrey
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45555  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 10:16 PM
Mr Downtown's Avatar
Mr Downtown Mr Downtown is offline
Urbane observer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
it might be that [St Adalbert's] gets landmarked
How? Religious buildings require owner consent for landmarking.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45556  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 10:26 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 13,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
If anything good comes out of one of the DSA Alderman's war on reality, it might be that this church gets landmarked:

https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2019...redevelopment/

But why do I get the feeling that nothing will get done for a long time?
"War on reality" is right. The St Adalberts site is an ideal place to add housing right next to the Pink Line, maybe even a majority or entirely affordable development... the convent and rectory are currently abandoned and the parking lot isn't doing anything for anyone.

There's plenty of things that can happen on this site for the benefit of the community, Sigcho should be working proactively to figure out the next steps for the site instead of this reactionary crap. Why not work with the Archdiocese, or without them, to hold community charrettes?

Also, Related has obligations to build off-site affordable housing as part of The 78, they will need places to put all that housing... St Adalberts is about as a good a site as you can imagine, right next to transit and integrated into a thriving community with plenty of amenities nearby.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45557  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 10:51 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 17,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
How? Religious buildings require owner consent for landmarking.
I don't know, but Sigcho must've stolen my shirt, because in that article he seems to be wearing one exactly identical to one of mine
__________________
Eat less
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45558  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 11:05 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 4,932
Demolition permits were issued to wreck multiple buildings from 3170 S Archer to 3236 S Archer, mostly last week but one of them actually almost a year ago. I've talked about this before, but the full scope will be multiple new buildings with 168 total condo units (1, 2, and 3 bedrooms). I believe this will have multiple retail spaces. The whole thing is from Chicago based Chinese developers Skyriver, so potentially expect some new Chinese restaurants and businesses popping up here. The north end of it is near the Ashland Orange Line stop. Southern end of this down to Wood Street

This will replace it:


Currently it's very industrial
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ar...!4d-87.6681059
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45559  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 12:03 AM
tjp tjp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
"War on reality" is right. The St Adalberts site is an ideal place to add housing right next to the Pink Line, maybe even a majority or entirely affordable development... the convent and rectory are currently abandoned and the parking lot isn't doing anything for anyone.

There's plenty of things that can happen on this site for the benefit of the community, Sigcho should be working proactively to figure out the next steps for the site instead of this reactionary crap. Why not work with the Archdiocese, or without them, to hold community charrettes?

Also, Related has obligations to build off-site affordable housing as part of The 78, they will need places to put all that housing... St Adalberts is about as a good a site as you can imagine, right next to transit and integrated into a thriving community with plenty of amenities nearby.
The site is one block from a pink line station and two blocks from a Costco - sign me the f*ck up!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45560  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 12:27 AM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Devlin View Post
Are you serious?? Of all the buildings built is Streeterville in the past 40 years, the ugliest is 220 East Illinois - Optima Signature Apts. Somebody on this board described it as being garish and I completely agree.

The best are OBP and NBC Tower.

Yikes.

Why do I get the feeling this is going to be one awfully long sweltering summer week full of white hot garbage takes....?


This new Treasure Island proposal obviously on point.
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:16 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.