HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 5:52 PM

Fencing has been up for a week or so around the parking lot at 171 N. Wabash

Additionally the Popeye's on the corner has put up signs that it is relocating. The T. Mobile Store did the same in January(ish). Signs 50 E. Wabash is starting soon?

171 N. Wabash per Curbed

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPlanner View Post
Fencing has been up for a week or so around the parking lot at 171 N. Wabash

Additionally the Popeye's on the corner has put up signs that it is relocating. The T. Mobile Store did the same in January(ish). Signs 50 E. Wabash is starting soon?

171 N. Wabash per Curbed
Love this infill project along with the one further south! That entire block has seen such a huge transformation in the past 5-10 years and it's so vital since it's located between Millennium Park and the Mag Mile

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ 2013 was a LOOOOONG time ago in Chicago's rental market
Yeah, maybe if you are in the hot areas with hot rental markets. I just went to Zillow to look for 3 bedroom for rent in one section of Irving Park. Out of 23 apartments, 11 (almost half) was for at or.under $1700/mo. I expanded the search to a little more... 35 3 bedroom apartments for $1500/mo or less. Another 34 between $1501 and $1700...

And also, my old 1 renovated bedroom in Gold Coast raised $200 a month in the last few years. I'd be shocked if that same increase happened in Irving Park even since 2013, on average, for vintage apartments.

The other place in Andersonville I was talking about was from 2017.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 4:22 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Armchair planners, here's your chance:
https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/4/17...llion-pritzker

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
It’s definitely not open to armchair planners.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Might actually make a run at this to export my evil plan to fix all of the abandoned buildings in Chicago to North Lawndale...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 2:38 AM

1) New Steppenwolf Theater addition was issued building permit today. Whoever it was who thought they saw equipment there probably wasn't seeing things.

2) New 24 unit building with ground floor retail issued permit for the north side of South Archer near Paulina. This is the first of a handful of buildings in that land from some Chinese developers. Hopefully in a year or so from now, that whole area will look a lot better

https://www.google.com/maps/place/31...!4d-87.6689588

Last edited by marothisu; Apr 19, 2019 at 12:24 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
It's not bizarre when you've been looking for places recently like I have, Vlajos. I've investigated a number of the "cheaper" options, only to see either the 9'x7' "bedroom" not even big enough to put a queen bed into, or a kitchen from circa WWII, fridge in a closet, stove the size of a child's play stove, etc... etc... Not saying there aren't deals to be had of course, but given that the majority of people use online listings to do their searching, at least at the beginning, these types of one-off situations aren't easily accessible by most people.

Aaron (Glowrock)
But they are available, you just have to walk around the neighborhoods and find for rent signs.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 4:45 PM
you know where I'll be

State and 18th

Looks like site prep has finally just started for a small condo building at corner of State and 18th in the South Loop.

Project website:

https://1802state.com

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 4:52 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
1) New Steppenwolf Theater addition was issued building permit today. Whoever it was who thought they saw equipment there probably wasn't seeing things.

2) New 24 unit building with ground floor retail issued permit for the north side of South Archer near Paulina. This is the first of a handful of buildings in that land from some Chinese developers. Hopefully in a year or so from now, that whole area will look a lot better

https://www.google.com/maps/place/31...!4d-87.6689588

Glad to see the Steppenwolf expansion moving forward.

Been wondering how real that McKinley Park project is.......seems more real now.

Speaking of Archer, anyone know if tenants have been identified for that retail project that’s been under construction for some time at Archer and Canal in Chinatown? Project has been moving at a glacial pace (much like that Chinatown hotel that opened a year or two back)

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Speaking of Archer, anyone know if tenants have been identified for that retail project that’s been under construction for some time at Archer and Canal in Chinatown? Project has been moving at a glacial pace (much like that Chinatown hotel that opened a year or two back)
I don't know for sure but I wouldn't doubt if they have some lined up already - though it's possible it's taking forever because they don't want to open up with nobody lined up. Hopefully it's another reason.

They do have a few for lease on LoopNet though - says available May 1st..
https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2300...o-IL/13849802/

Now on a similar note, I went to the HMC Realty website just to look if there's anything else listed. I noticed something called "Jefferson-Lease Shopping Mall" at 2105 S Jefferson St. This is around the corner from that warehouse being converted into a hotel/restaurants/spa/etc. It's also across the street from a big open parcel of land which a zoning application was submitted for a few months ago calling for like 135,000 sq ft of retail space and 7 residential buildings from some Chinese developers. This is owned by the same developers - looks like it's all part of the same thing and work is apparently done or almost done on this....

Found this (which is in Chinese, but you can translate):
https://www.chicagochinaren.com/f/pa...c/t_50559.html

Quote:
The newly developed indoor shopping mall in Chinatown is now renting!
Address 2105 S Jefferson St Chicago IL 60616 is
located in East Pilsen, close to UIC University Village. Pilsen District is a relatively hot community in recent years. East Pilsen is close to UIC University, Chinatown, and South Loop. 2105 S Jefferson Mall It will be a large-scale commercial project unique to the district. The concept is to concentrate on life department stores, fashion boutiques, fashion apparel, international cuisine, entertainment, etc. Customers can experience one-stop service consumption and more than 100 free parking spaces. On the second floor, the developer invested in a large Asian supermarket with an area of ​​36,471 sf (now in preparation for opening) and invested in a large Chinese restaurant on the first floor (a wedding banquet).

The top says "Tian Yi Square now for rental" according to my fiance.

Last edited by marothisu; Apr 19, 2019 at 11:26 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 10:37 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
But they are available, you just have to walk around the neighborhoods and find for rent signs.
Much easier to do when you know EXACTLY where you want to be, not to mention preferably already live in the area, Vlajos. It's extremely time-consuming to literally walk from street to street, neighborhood to neighborhood in the hopes of finding places to rent, especially when this only gets you a phone number, which of course you must then arrange for a visit of the unit, only to probably find out there are 3 applications already in for the place.

Not saying it's impossible, but it's something most people don't have the time or patience to do, generally.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 3:15 PM
TL;DR

^ It may not work for you specifically, but the fact is that there is a whole huge inventory of rentals that are not listed online, often for lower prices than you would expect, and the best way to access that inventory if you aren't already part of the community is to walk around and spot signs. I actually can't recommend this method enough, you get a feel for the neighborhood by walking around on foot that you never would if you just parachuted in for a showing from an online listing.

That's sort of how I found my apartment in Pilsen... my (Latino) landlord actually maintains two tiers of units, renovated units are advertised online with the help of a realtor while unrenovated or lightly renovated units are advertised through "For Rent" signs and word-of-mouth in the Latino community. I went to a showing for a renovated unit that I found on Craigslist (which was a stretch for my budget) and when someone else's credit check came through before mine did, the landlord offered to show me a few other units in the lower tier that actually suited my budget better.

Its also important to realize that the rents in the "shadow market" (for lack of a better term) are just as relevant to the affordablity of the city as the rents you see in online sources like Craigslist, Zumper or Hotpads. If you don't have good data on the actual rents being charged in Chicago's neighborhoods then you will draw the wrong conclusions about the housing market in Chicago and what approaches city government should take.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 6:49 PM
THAT Guy

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but there's a proposal by Cedar St. to build another FLATS building on an oddly shaped lot between Racine and Blue Island, 14th and 15th St. 7 stories, 197 apartments, some retail. Hartshorne Plunkard Architects.

Also, the Fast Track building on Lake and Desplaines is apparently for sale. Could make for a nice midrise development.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 3:09 AM

No clue what either of these are tbh

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 3:52 AM

Where are these?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 4:03 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 12:47 PM

The second one on North Ave is the hotel at the intersection with Ashland. This is replacing a gas station.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 12:59 PM

The first one is the Jefferson Park gateway project;

https://chicago-curbed-com.cdn.amppr...wrence-laramie

The other one looks to be that half-baked Hyatt hotel at North and Ashland

https://blockclubchicago.org/2018/07...n-wicker-park/

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
The second one on North Ave is the hotel at the intersection with Ashland. This is replacing a gas station.

Honestly, i'd rather have the gas station. Being serious.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development