HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 2:50 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I wouldn't say it's overwhelming, and the ones who are complaining the most are suburbanites who swear they never even go downtown. That's a bit ridiculous. Traffic is one issue, but then again it's bad all over the city, and has been for about 2 decades now - well before this boom even started. I've learned that people will complain about anything on the internet.

My point was I've been surprised by the positive comments on this building and really any planned development in San Antonio, particularly with people saying they hope it upgrades the skyline. There was another article talking about Broadway, and people were saying they thought it was a good thing to see new development along the street.
San Antonio is going through the phase that practically every major city goes through at some point. With the rise of the highways people moved to the suburbs and the suburbs just kept on growing unchecked for several decades leaving the inner city somewhat forgotten (except for the tourism spots in SA's case).

Now there is a large group of people who realize that they don't like sitting in traffic and don't have much need for a backyard with a fence, so they choose to live in a more urban area with a nightlife and closer proximity to where they work. So now there is a need and a desire for growth in the city center both in terms of residential and office buildings (Pearl, River North, Frost, etc.).

Now if San Antonio can only get some rail transit in the works...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio