HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 9:22 PM

Wink

I really like the design that was chosen, what I like about it the most is that it opens up the area, from the Red River College building to City hall, it connects all three properties.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 9:23 PM
surely you agree with me

delete.....

Last edited by trueviking; Jan 2, 2019 at 8:04 PM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 9:27 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
It's fine.

But I think for something that's at the heart of an entire area's revival, "it's fine" is not good enough.
disappointed in this choice.

Last edited by trueviking; Dec 22, 2018 at 3:00 AM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 9:59 PM

So this goes forward as the development plan 100% for sure? Or was it just another competition?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 10:05 PM
surely you agree with me

that's the plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
Can't say I'm thrilled they went with the one that is three identical boxes plunked down in a row. It's very commie block. Still a great development....just not interesting architecturally.
The structures behind the residential building are not part of this development they are purely conceptual. That site will be developed later on when sold to private developers.

Obviously with CV acting as the developer budget retrains played a huge factor in this decision, I would like to see a more inspiring market building, its so small i question its viability are a true year round market, there doesn't appear to be enough space for many vendors in order to draw a critical mass of people from all over the city, i hope it doesn't end up just a glorified greenhouse like Vike implied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
yup. what was the point of a design competition that chooses generic oatmeal as its solution? There is no architecture here. No big idea. The street edges are not considered at all. Completely suburban. Completely disconnects the rest of the site. The same barrier in the neighbourhood that PSB has been for 50 years. How could anyone draw three towers in a row like that? Its Martin Bergen Henderson Highway, 1985. The market is a prefab greenhouse. The housing is generic and uninspired.

very very disappointed in this choice. It was the weakest by far.
If only we knew someone with some real influence at CentreVenture, someone who could steer the staff and jury in the right direction. If only we knew someone on the board, or even better, the chair himself! Oh well, we can dream...

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 10:13 PM
Winnipeg

This is still not even the final product....

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
The structures behind the residential building are not part of this development they are purely conceptual. That site will be developed later on when sold to private developers.

Obviously with CV acting as the developer budget retrains played a huge factor in this decision, I would like to see a more inspiring market building, its so small i question its viability are a true year round market, there doesn't appear to be enough space for many vendors in order to draw a critical mass of people from all over the city, i hope it doesn't end up just a glorified greenhouse like Vike implied.
Okay so there's still a chance for more variety at the site then. Hopefully the design standards are held a little higher for the back portion. I am still having trouble hiding my disappointment. There is just NO visual interest. It is about as bland as can be. Not really the type of design you want at the heart of the exchange.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Design Competition Winner Announced

CentreVenture Development Corporation, today announced the winning design submission to the Market Lands southern parcel design competition. The ‘New Market Square’ by Daoust Lestage was unanimously selected by the Jury. The goal of the competition was to solicit design concepts for new affordable housing, a public market, and plazas on the southern parcel of the Market Lands site, integrated into the surrounding context of the Exchange District.

“The jury was impressed by the high quality of all the five submissions and was so grateful for the effort and thoughtfulness applied,” said architect Dudley Thompson, Professional Advisor to the design competition. “The winning design best responded to the competition program and presented the most successful concept to achieve a wonderful new destination in downtown Winnipeg.”

The jury appreciated the clarity of the proposal and agreed that its stand-alone glass market structure and surrounding plazas presented an inviting space for visitors, with multiple uses. The orientation of the plan, following the historic footprint of the historic market, was a powerful statement and environmentally sensitive, ensuring the public spaces are flooded with sunlight throughout the year and at different times of day. The new market square provides a strong new connection between the Red River College heritage buildings, Old Market Square, and City Hall complex.

Members of the jury included: Bruce Kuwabara , Founding Principal, KPMB Architects Toronto; Eladia Smoke, Principal, Smoke Architecture, Hamilton; Angela Mathieson, President & CEO, CentreVenture, Winnipeg; John Kiernan, Director, Planning, Property and Development, City of Winnipeg, Winnipeg; Alan Tate, Professor and Head of Landscape Architecture, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg; Zephyra Vun, Executive Director, Design Quarter Winnipeg, Winnipeg; Annitta Stenning, CEO, CancerCare Manitoba Foundation, Winnipeg.

"I’d like to thank all of the five short-listed teams for their submissions and congratulate the team of Daoust Lestage, who have created a concept that will add a new jewel in the heart of the Exchange District," said Angela Mathieson CEO of CentreVenture. “I’d also like to thank the Jury for their careful deliberation and guidance in this important project."

The design competition was launched in July 2018. 23 design teams from across Canada submitted proposals during the pre-qualification stage of the competition. In October 2018, five teams were shortlisted to participate in the design competition. On December 7, 2018, all five design proposals were presented in a public forum to the Jury at the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.

Through 2019 CentreVenture will work with the Daoust Lestage team, community partners, and the City of Winnipeg to further refine and detail the design. Construction of the project is expected to commence sometime in 2020.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h1x2kaqmd6...ge%20.pdf?dl=0

https://storage.googleapis.com/wzuku...21%20FINAL.pdf

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 10:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
worst choice.
Thank you. Totally agree.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 10:44 PM

Looks like a loading zone/car lane going right through the development?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
Looks like a loading zone/car lane going right through the development?
Yep. 'Market Avenue'

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Thank you. Totally agree.
I think the key here is, "...the Jury thought the project was most feasible from financial and constructability viewpoints." Totally a Winnipeg-type response. But I guess if we want the project to happen, we have to be aware that there is a minimal budget.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 11:38 PM

This is extremely disheartening news, though I suspect we all knew deep down that this design [by far the worst of the lot] would be chosen above the clearly superior quality ones. It looks cheap, so one would imagine it would also be the cheapest to build. Kinda angers me that they even held a selection process if the result would inevitably be the most bare - bones, temporary looking and completely underwhelming concept possible. Why get hopes up only to disappoint? Sorry for the rant. Just shaking my head here. I'll almost miss the Public Safety Building when this is all over. At least it's a memorable structure.

Last edited by BrickJunkie; Dec 22, 2018 at 12:13 AM.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
[img]
They're really going for that Chicago housing project aesthetic:

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 1:01 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

I mean, it's not that bad, but not that great either.

I hope they are able to make some tweaks and refinements to the design.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 1:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
They're really going for that Chicago housing project aesthetic:

Right?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 1:21 AM
keep the good times going

Wow... was really excited about this, now seeing that this won I'm just sad.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 1:22 AM
BANNED

save the public safety building

The market has like, 4 stalls?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan