HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 8:59 PM

Same-Sex Couple Households in Cities Across the US

The Oregon Office of Economic Analysis put together some statistics regarding same-sex couples, home ownership, etc. for the Oregon Realtors Fair Housing Summit last month. It includes a ranking of cities by % of same-sex couple households. Full article: https://oregoneconomicanalysis.com/2...ex-households/

It's interesting to see the interplay of different demographics and regional trends.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 9:22 PM
devout Pizzatarian

I'm curious what "public use micro data" means because "Chicago city north" is a meaningless geographic descriptor within Chicago.

At its most generous, the "north side of Chicago" encompasses over 50 sq. miles and some 1.2M people. Surely that 5.7% figure listed on the chart is for a much smaller area.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
I'm curious what "public use micro data" means because "Chicago city north" is a meaningless geographic descriptor within Chicago.

At its most generous, the "north side of Chicago" encompasses over 50 sq. miles and some 1.2M people. Surely that 5.7% figure listed on the chart is for a much smaller area.
I was wondering about that too. It looks like they rely on well defined neighborhoods in some cities and generalized areas of a cities for others. It's especially odd because the same sex household percentages by both state and metro areas don't seem to vary that much from place to place, so you would expect a similar level of concentrating in different metros. Otherwise, this is suggesting that same sex households are more segregated in places like San Francisco and NYC than they are in Tampa or Louisville.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 9:45 PM

Quote:

Public Use Microdata Area is the (typically opaque) Census name for an area drawn to include around 150k people, effectively making mini-"House districts" of similar population across the country to aggregate local data.

There are three particular Chicago City North-named districts, so the source got sloppy in identifying which PUMA they're talking about. Presumably Lakeview/LP?

Chicago City (North)--West Ridge, Lincoln Square & North Center
Chicago City (North)--Uptown, Edgewater & Rogers Park
Chicago City (North)--Lake View & Lincoln Park

Tables for each state and maps of each PUMA are at this reference page.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 9:48 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ thank you!

And yeah, they gotta be referring to the Lakeview/Lincoln Park one.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 3:08 PM

Nice to see Atlanta with two neighborhoods in the top 15. Must be Midtown and Decatur.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 3:53 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Nice to see Atlanta with two neighborhoods in the top 15. Must be Midtown and Decatur.
Probably. Although there's a whole east-west oriented gay streak marching across the metro...Grant Park, Ormewood Park, Glenwood Park, East Atlanta, Kirkwood, Inman Park, Old 4th Ward, Cabbagetown....all quite gay.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 9:42 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Remember, this isn't about "gay people" generally, it's about households with gay couples specifically. So neighborhoods where most gay residents are single won't be included in the chart.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 5:26 AM

Great to see SLC on here!!!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 5:45 AM

Quote:

So is "Sussex East", which is basically part of a county. The reality is that they are referring to Rehoboth Beach and the surrounding beach sprawl. I guess the beach towns collectively form an informal metro area, and that was their best name for it.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 3:38 PM

I feel this data is always going to show more gay households in liberal cities, until gay men & women in rural (more conservative) states become more accepting.

As of now, there are probably millions of Americans still in the closet. Obviously we’ve made a lot of progress, but there’s still more to push for.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 4:11 PM

Methodology is different, but according to the last National Health Survey published by Brazilian Statistical Office in 2022 bringing 2019 data, 2.9 million Brazilian adults (1.8%) declared they were homosexual or bisexual.

Amongst those between 18-29 y/o, the number is considerably higher, at 4.8%. Same for people with a college degree (3.2%) and with the highest income bracket (3.5%). The highest rate was in Southeast (2.1%) and the lowest in Northeast (1.5%). Amongst women, 0.9% declared they were lesbian and 0.8% bisexual; amongst men, 1.4% gay and 0.5% bisexual.

It was the first survey they conducted on that matter and it was very comprehensive (a sample of 108,525 households). They're studying already some modifications, such as the use of words "gay" and "lesbian" instead of "homosexual" and there's a project to collect data on trans people on the next editions.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
Probably. Although there's a whole east-west oriented gay streak marching across the metro...Grant Park, Ormewood Park, Glenwood Park, East Atlanta, Kirkwood, Inman Park, Old 4th Ward, Cabbagetown....all quite gay.
Surprised that Georgia Republicans haven't tried to crack down on this "gay streak marching"... sounds like an outrageously wild time!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 1:38 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Surprised that Georgia Republicans haven't tried to crack down on this "gay streak marching"... sounds like an outrageously wild time!
hahaha yes I know.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 2:23 PM

Doesn't this number seem a little low? Aren't about 5% of people LGBT, when you normalize across the age spectrum?

Or is just people declaring relationship status? So gay people not in a relationship are not represented in the table?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluBobo View Post
Doesn't this number seem a little low? Aren't about 5% of people LGBT, when you normalize across the age spectrum?

Or is just people declaring relationship status? So gay people not in a relationship are not represented in the table?
From source: "This means the ACS data is for couples only, and is not about the overall population per se. "

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 8:59 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
So the data is basically useless since 80% of gay men don't do long term relationships. And even less live together.
I know it's anecdotal but pretty much every gay and lesbian I know of (typically over 40) are in long term committed relationships or married.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I know it's anecdotal but pretty much every gay and lesbian I know of (typically over 40) are in long term committed relationships or married.
I agree with North: the large majority of gay men are single (my sample is mostly late 20’s up to 40. And the minority who is committed are in open relationships. From the top of my mind, I think in one couple only and I’m not even sure if it’s closed.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Q: What does a lesbian drive to her second date?

A: A moving truck.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 9:22 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
So the data is basically useless since 80% of gay men don't do long term relationships. And even less live together.
The data isn't useless or misleading - it's a measurement of exactly what it says it is: the number of same-sex couple households. Not meant to be just a tally of the number of gay people.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions