HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 1:45 PM

I have no problem with the so-called sprawl development. Much of the new development on the west side in far from sprawl; it is live/work. I do have an issue with the location being near Camp Bullis. There is quite a bit of development going on DT to provide a live/work environment:the Pearl, River North, Museum Reach, and Southtown. The fact they are mainly mid/low-rise should not matter. The point is the amount of units is substantial, even if they are not clearly visible on the skyline. Not everyone wants to live DT or even close to it.

I think if UTSA DT built dorms it would help DT.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyger2678 View Post
I get so tired of comments like this... If you have a problem with a growing city, MOVE OUT OF IT!!!!!!!!
I have to agree with complex01, booo, more low rise buildings. We are on a skyscraper forum which means we love skyscrapers!!!! Even 10 stories would be nice, I know SA is never going to go over 40. How come we can't build taller then the tower, Seattle did it, and their skyline looks fantastic!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex01 View Post
Okay first of all this is a forum. Being a forum its an open exchange of thoughts and opinions. Not everyone is gonna agree with everything and everyone. But being a discussion there will be things said that you may not like, but it is what it is.

Now to clarify my point. I have NOTHING against San Antonio growing. However I feel there is good way and not so good way to grow. I feel that a company who currently leases office space in a 14 story building and decides to move further out from the inner core does nothing for urban development. It pushes higher paying jobs away from downtown and puts them out in the suburbs. Yes there is a lot of development in that area, but the whole ingress/egress of the whole is just out of control. The only way to move about is with a personal vehicle. It takes what 15 to 20 min just to navigate the endless maze of parking lots, stop lights, and who knows what else.

Now I know no city is perfect but I would hope someone would try and reverse the trend here. I just personally feel sprawling suburban office parks do more harm then good.

Wouldn't it be nice to read "Local Company starts work on a new 40 story office in Downtown". Now personally I would love to read that. I know this is a suburban thread, but i am just saying. I would love to see a new tower in dt in sa.

After all it is a forum to speak ones mind. Good day...
I'm with you Complex01 !! I wish the beautiful Tesoro building was downtown and not in the super street town!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2011, 12:45 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
I have to agree with complex01, booo, more low rise buildings. We are on a skyscraper forum which means we love skyscrapers!!!! Even 10 stories would be nice, I know SA is never going to go over 40. How come we can't build taller then the tower, Seattle did it, and their skyline looks fantastic!
We can. That's a big misconception around here.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2011, 8:48 PM

Construction trailer is getting set up near the Ricchi site at the Rim.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 6:34 AM

San Antonio does have a few towers that are proposed maybe not in the 40 or 50 story range just yet.

1 Presidio Tower 25 floors
2 Planned Boutique Hotel
3 2nd Phase of the Vidorra Condos

Though I am glad seeing the Ricchi starting.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 5:41 AM

Why is there so much construction going on near the rim will all the impossed restriction.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 2:47 PM

The only restriction on NEW developments is that they "comply" with the Endandered Species Act. Also, if they are within 5 miles of Camp Bullis, only NEW developments need to have downward lighting.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 11:38 PM
Paradise

Does anyone know anything about this?

Asian residents up by almost 80 percent
Quote:
A new one is the Alliance of San Antonio Asian Cultures, which is planning to build a multicultural center off Bandera Road outside Loop 1604, where the Asian community has blossomed. Gehring is its president.

She is also a partner in Davila Novelo Developer Construction, which is behind the planning of the 81.8-acre mixed-use development project that will include a hotel, condos, offices, retailers and even a 40,000-square-foot bowling alley meant to attract an international tournament.

“We're really planning on creating an Asian town,” Gehring said.

If completed, the project would be another draw for Asian migration, and San Antonio would benefit, Gehring and others said.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...nt-1342354.php

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 11:47 PM
Paradise

Snooping around, I looked up their website and found this page with a bunch of renderings of Asian Pacific Cultural Convention Center.

http://alliancesa.org/alliancebuilding.html

But if anyone knows anything else then shoot.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 12:14 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
Snooping around, I looked up their website and found this page with a bunch of renderings of Asian Pacific Cultural Convention Center.

Wow, that's really nice.

Sucks that this Asian Town is being built in Helotes and not downtown/urban core!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post

I like!
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Wow, that's really nice.

Sucks that this Asian Town is being built in Helotes and not downtown/urban core!
I agree! I would like the area around Alamo Heights, Brackenridge Park, San Antonio College for an "Asian Town" as quoted. Sunken Gardens has a lot of history concerning San Antonio Asian community.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 3:45 PM

I don't think they will build this "Asian" town.
I think they will build sprawl with different looking signage. What is the "draw" in that? If they really want to build an "Asian" town, how about compact development that is based around walking, biking and mass transit, with sidewalks wider than the roadway, and a limited # of parking spaces. It won't happen because of zoning, so we will probably end up with another "power center" with red lanterns hanging outside of each door.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 9:48 PM
Paradise

I want to wait until they unveil the plans for this Asian town, but if its in the suburbs, it's probably going to be suburban. I hope not and that we can at least have a some what urban environment, but might not happen. Maybe we can get some input on this if they haven't already laid out their full ideas. Either way, I'll be looking forward to some good Asian foods.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 9:42 PM

The urban Chinatowns in San Francisco, New York and Philadelphia are relics of the past where racism played a large role in where Asian entrepreneurs could set up shop. Now that those barriers are gone, those little asian grocery stores are being replaced with massive strip centers just like the mom and pop grocery stores got wiped out by HEB, Krogers and Walmart.

I'd love for us to have an urban Chinatown, but considering how spread out the Asian population in SA is, its really just not practical. I'd much rather have a bustling shopping center out by 1604 or 410 than a dead Chinatown near downtown that would soon be replaced by cheap taco joints.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunadic View Post
The urban Chinatowns in San Francisco, New York and Philadelphia are relics of the past where racism played a large role in where Asian entrepreneurs could set up shop. Now that those barriers are gone, those little asian grocery stores are being replaced with massive strip centers just like the mom and pop grocery stores got wiped out by HEB, Krogers and Walmart.

I'd love for us to have an urban Chinatown, but considering how spread out the Asian population in SA is, its really just not practical. I'd much rather have a bustling shopping center out by 1604 or 410 than a dead Chinatown near downtown that would soon be replaced by cheap taco joints.
You're right and wrong.
It is true that they used to set up where they could, and that the population is spread out here in SA, but they are far from gone; they are still very much a part of urban life in many larger cities in the US. Go near Flushing-Main St. station in Jamaica, Queens or (for a suburban version,) Little River Turnpike in Annandale VA and you will see that they still exist where there is a large concentration of such groups, which is key. We don't have the concentration or density.
The point is, they still appear organically, which is why this will not happen and if it does, it will not work.
If we had a large(r) population of Paki-Indians near Parliament/West Ave., guess what would happen to the retail in the area? If we had a large(r) population of Indian around Fredericksburg/Wurzbach, what would we see more of?
An urban one in SA is also a bad idea. If we had an older Chinatown area to be redeveloped like Gallery Place-Chinatown, DC was(which we don't,) at least the Chinese lettering on new signage wouldn't be TOO fake considering there used to be a Chinatown there.
"Fill-in-the-blank"-towns don't happen because someone developed them into that, they happen because the existing area is dominated by a concentration of that specific group.
Is the bustling shopping center going to have a Panda Buffet?
The cheap taco joints would pop up because it is Tex-Mex-town; something we do have a concentration of.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 9:33 PM

would have been so nice downtown, or where Central Park Mall used to be.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 4:37 PM

Took this picture on Christmas Eve. Notice the Christmas lights on the crane

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 3:51 AM
Let's Eat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post

would have been so nice downtown, or where Central Park Mall used to be.
You are sure right about that!!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio