HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 6:04 PM
Surrounded by Nature

I vividly remember going on a field trip to what’s now Museum Campus as a young kid. Standing out front afterward with our chaperones, we all marveled at how tall the original Prudential Building was, then went to its observatory at the top. It was an exciting day in a much lower Chicago. Years later as I graduated from high school in Glen Ellyn, friends and I went to the newly opened John Hancock observatory.

I’ve loved keeping up with the city throughout the years, but as a long time certified Northern California weather wimp, no longer visiting when it’s too hot or too cold. Thanks guys for all of the great shots in your threads!

Last edited by viewguysf; Jan 29, 2019 at 6:18 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 6:49 PM
BANNED

^ Thanks for sharing your fond memories. Prudential just gets lost in the shuffle now. What a time to be alive

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 8:08 PM
BANNED

I wonder how many tradesmen will be called off of work tomorrow because of the cold. Certainly having more windows in by now would have helped the construction timeline on this one.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
I wonder how many tradesmen will be called off of work tomorrow because of the cold. Certainly having more windows in by now would have helped the construction timeline on this one.
Yeah that's a great question these temps are awesomely crazy. If they were using any water pipes they have definitely frozen by now, I don't think it's even feasible to pour concrete in these temps, even more impossible to pump it up 95 floors. Good thing they are nearly topped out!

link wednesday's forecast for non locals

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
I vividly remember going on a field trip to what’s now Museum Campus as a young kid. Standing out front afterward with our chaperones, we all marveled at how tall the original Prudential Building was, then went to its observatory at the top.
Are you one of the kids in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJnNN4wHSCA

The Prudential Building was clearly the tallest (by roof height) and biggest building at that time. Vista Tower will be almost exactly twice as tall.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 9:54 PM

^^ what a cool video- thanks for sharing

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 9:55 PM
devout Pizzatarian

excellent skyline shot, nick!

vista's full skyline impact is really coming into focus now.

the renderings never seem to do adequate justice to that aspect of the real thing.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 10:25 PM

thinner and less bulky than the renderings.. nice

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 12:27 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
Are you one of the kids in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJnNN4wHSCA

The Prudential Building was clearly the tallest (by roof height) and biggest building at that time. Vista Tower will be almost exactly twice as tall.
I'm pegging my Prudential experience at about 1960 or '61, since I would only have been three in 1956. My parents brought my sister and me into the city often as kids. I also remember the beacon on top of the Palmolive Building being visible all over the city and from many miles away.

Having gone to the John Hancock observatory when it first opened, a friend and I a few years later were scoping out the Standard Oil of Indiana tower (AON Center) as it was in the finishing stages of construction. While walking around a small part of the recessed plaza that was newly accessible, we noticed no one was minding a fence gate. We walked through the remainder of the plaza, into the lobby being completed, then to the high rise elevator bank where one of the unfinished cars was open. Being teenagers, we took it to the top floor. It was completely open and free of interior partitions. No one was there, so we walked around all sides looking at the views before deciding we'd pressed our luck long enough. We took the elevator back to the lobby nonstop and walked out. No one ever questioned or paid any attention to us.

I've obviously always been interested in skyscrapers and am thankful that we finally have a supertall in San Francisco, and that I have a direct view of it from my place. We don't have as many tall buildings, but we do have a very dense skyline from many angles.

Last edited by viewguysf; Jan 30, 2019 at 4:18 AM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 1:18 AM

Vista is one of the best proportioned supertalls I think we've ever seen.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 7:03 AM

I recall the massiveness of Prudential when approaching downtown from the Southside in the 60's. It still holds a prominent location on the lake from, especially from South Shore Drive. I'm planning a return to Chitown in a few months (it's been 18 years) just to take in the new buildings. I love the building boom in Chicago and San Francisco, my two homes. And I'm hoping the economy stays healthy enough to support a boom in my new home of Sacramento, Fastest growing big city in California.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 3:19 PM
The City

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacSFChi View Post
I recall the massiveness of Prudential when approaching downtown from the Southside in the 60's. It still holds a prominent location on the lake from, especially from South Shore Drive. I'm planning a return to Chitown in a few months (it's been 18 years) just to take in the new buildings. I love the building boom in Chicago and San Francisco, my two homes. And I'm hoping the economy stays healthy enough to support a boom in my new home of Sacramento, Fastest growing big city in California.
You’ll definitely be blown away if the last time you’ve been to Chicago is 2001. An entirely new city (or 2 or 3) within a city has been built since then

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 3:42 PM
BANNED

^^ I'd love to hear your thoughts after the trip. The London House rooftop bar, in my opinion, offers the most unforgettable views. Go shortly before dusk, so you get to see the city shine both in the light and at night.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 9:26 PM

Vista makes several appearances in this chilly photoset on Curbed:

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 10:50 PM
1st Ward

^ Wow, nice image. Makes me think of the Chicago of yore, full of factories and smokestacks as it served its role as a manufacturer for the world. Well, minus the skyscrapers

Everyone stay warm and safe!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 5:38 AM

Jan 29
(and one from the 28th)

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 6:51 AM

Overcast will be Vista 's best friend!

Sweet shot mate.

Last edited by donnie; Jan 31, 2019 at 7:10 AM. Reason: Edit

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 7:17 AM

01/27/19

01/29/19

01/30/19

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 7:30 AM

yes bvictor!!! phenomenal!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 9:19 AM

the world's best skyline just keeps getting better... many thanks from berlin to all the intrepid photogs braving the cold to deliver some heart-warming images of the broad shoulders! <3

"Helmut Jahn has never suffered a failure of nerve."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture