HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyku View Post
The stadium being pitched didn't sound like a very large one:

"An 8,200 seat modular downtown soccer stadium for a Canadian Premier League team "

They *say* that the Toys 'R Us stores aren't closing, but we'll see what happens I guess--it's always been a very strange location for the store here.
Any way you cut it, a soccer stadium needs 3 to 4 times the space of an arena. Husky stadium on campus takes up a hell lot more space than an arena. Have a look. It is only a 6,000 seat football stadium, not huge. But no way you would squeeze that into downtown Saskatoon without a huge (re $100 million+) investment.

I could see an arena vs stadium debate happening soon.

My vote, arena. Any mention of "dome" stadium conjurs up $300-500 million in money. Unless he wants a bouncy castle blow up dome.....

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Any way you cut it, a soccer stadium needs 3 to 4 times the space of an arena. Husky stadium on campus takes up a hell lot more space than an arena. Have a look. It is only a 6,000 seat football stadium, not huge. But no way you would squeeze that into downtown Saskatoon without a huge (re $100 million+) investment.

My vote, arena. Any mention of "dome" stadium conjurs up $300-500 million in money. Unless he wants a bouncy castle blow up dome.....
Completely agree with you. It doesn't make sense to building a dinky 8,200 stadium and take up valuable real estate down town. Especially since this is for a new soccer league that isn't established yet.

I don't see why they can't add 3000 seats to where the Huskies play and see if Saskatoon can support a soccer team before building a stadium.

Would be nice to get a nice new hockey arena in Saskatoon, but what would we do with the one we already have? I guess by the time the new arena is funded and building, Sask place would be 40 years old, so I can see replacing an older facility.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR200 View Post
Completely agree with you. It doesn't make sense to building a dinky 8,200 stadium and take up valuable real estate down town. Especially since this is for a new soccer league that isn't established yet.

I don't see why they can't add 3000 seats to where the Huskies play and see if Saskatoon can support a soccer team before building a stadium.

Would be nice to get a nice new hockey arena in Saskatoon, but what would we do with the one we already have? I guess by the time the new arena is funded and building, Sask place would be 40 years old, so I can see replacing an older facility.
Yeah in one of the articles I read it stated 7 acres of the 12 that is supposed to be the north downtown area. I do believe that is with parking but I could be wrong. They are supposed to be partnering with prarieland park as well for the first few years to basicly prove as you said, the support for a team.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 12:19 PM

Start small, grow into a stadium.

Saskatoon could easily support a 10-15 thousand seat stadium. Hilltops, Huskies, Soccer. Start with one shared facility....

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 3:39 PM

Quote:

To be fair, the Husky Stadium is a lot larger than it otherwise could be due to the track around it which pushes everything out. I'm sure someone could get creative enough to fit this size of soccer pitch at the Toys 'R Us location, but it would be a tight fit for sure (and of course debatable if prime downtown land is appropriate for such a facility). At any rate, they could potentially be around the same size.

A rough example of an outdoor field from the SaskTel Sports Centre with bleachers from the Husky Stadium

Alternatively, SaskTel Centre sitting in the same location from when the discussion of that move started up:

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 11:33 PM

Does anyone know where the new centralized health region jobs are going? I'm so surprised we haven't heard where they're going yet... I wonder if Saskatoon World Trade Center and River Landing Towers are having a bidding war?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Start small, grow into a stadium.

Saskatoon could easily support a 10-15 thousand seat stadium. Hilltops, Huskies, Soccer. Start with one shared facility....
A downtown stadium is not feasible. I agree with your post above - north downtown land should be reserved for an arena, if they are serious about a new facility down the road.

The Hilltops and Huskies will not move from their current locations. The Friends of the Bowl Foundation have already put in close to $20 million into Gordie Howe Bowl, including new field turf and the installation of 5,000 seats and private boxes from the old Mosaic Stadium. They did this for minor football but also for the Hilltops, who are significant parts of the Friends of the Bowl Foundation. More info: friendsofthebowl.ca/news/

The Foundation just received another $15 million donation, which will be used to put in a new track just to the north of the football field. This track is needed because Griffiths Stadium, where the Huskies play, will be renovated next year. Those renovations will include new field turf and relocating the field closer to the east side of the stadium, eliminating the track and providing room for new seats on the west side of the stadium - the current west side stands will be torn down, if they don't fall down first.

The plan is to increase the capacity of Griffiths to 10,000, which will provide enough seating for the Huskies, who regularly exceed the 6,171 seating capacity (they had over 8,000 for the first game three weeks ago). They have already put approximately $10 million into the stadium, including the new clubhouse and the east-side stands, plus the field turf and lighting that were installed in 2006 for the Vanier Cup. There are pictures of the facility here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griffiths_Stadium

As for the Huskies sharing Griffiths with a professional soccer team, it could happen. However, as other teams have found out, this is a University of Saskatchewan owned facility and U of S teams come first - be that for games or practices. If the season doesn't overlap with the school year, I could see it happening. However, the U of S does charge a premium for the use of the facility, as they are aware of the cost of replacing the turf every 10-years or so, in addition to other upkeep.

I'm sceptical about how well professional soccer, especially a Canadian-only league, will be received in Saskatoon. I think they are wise to stick to an existing facility for a couple of years - the Exhibition Grandstand is an interesting location. Lots of parking and fairly easy to get to. It will be interesting to see that place with a field in front of it. If it takes off, I don't see why they wouldn't bring in some movable stands for the east-side of the field and stay there. It could have the feel of an English-league game under the old grandstand if the people really get into it.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 3:41 PM

Griffiths

Thanks for the info. Jimmy James. I don't see the Griffiths plans in the link that you gave. Do you have another link? I couldn't find anything by just googling.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperance View Post
Thanks for the info. Jimmy James. I don't see the Griffiths plans in the link that you gave. Do you have another link? I couldn't find anything by just googling.
Sorry - I linked to the wrong story. Here is where they mention the track at Griffiths:

Quote:
The Friends of the Bowl Foundation wants $5 million from the city over five years to build a new track and field facility where the Clarence Downey Speedskating Oval is located in the Gordie Howe Sports Complex. Saskatoon needs a new outdoor athletics facility with the one at Griffiths Stadium slated for closure. Last week, an anonymous donor contributed $15 million to the project, which also includes other upgrades.
The University is keeping the details on the Griffiths Stadium renovations close to the chest right now, as nothing has been finalized. However, I have a few friends on the Huskie Football Foundation and they confirm that this will go ahead next year when the arena is built. It has been talked about for a while now, but the state of the track, the turf and the west grandstand (which I believe is condemned, although they still use it) are forcing the issue. The turf is already two years past its lifespan.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 3:15 AM

I noticed they were drilling for soil samples on the former bonanza restaurant site.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thager View Post
I noticed they were drilling for soil samples on the former bonanza restaurant site.
Looking for the recipe to that red-pasta salad they had.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
Sorry - I linked to the wrong story. Here is where they mention the track at Griffiths:

The University is keeping the details on the Griffiths Stadium renovations close to the chest right now, as nothing has been finalized. However, I have a few friends on the Huskie Football Foundation and they confirm that this will go ahead next year when the arena is built. It has been talked about for a while now, but the state of the track, the turf and the west grandstand (which I believe is condemned, although they still use it) are forcing the issue. The turf is already two years past its lifespan.
Yeah that side of Griffiths could use some TLC.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thager View Post
Heard rumours of Popeyes Kitchen

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 4:10 PM

Anyone know what's happening on 22nd between Ave H and I? Looks like they're digging pretty deep--ground reclamation? Can't recall what used to be on that site.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 7:53 PM

Used to be a gas station if i remember right

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Used to be a gas station if i remember right
Mr. Lube? Or on the north side of 22nd?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXE View Post
Heard rumours of Popeyes Kitchen
This is correct.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 10:04 PM

Yes I think your right Arts Mr Lube

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 1:55 PM

http://thestarphoenix.com/storyline/...ew-report-says

About a dozen parcels of city-owned property in or near the downtown have been identified as having potential to be developed within five years, a new report says

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
http://thestarphoenix.com/storyline/...ew-report-says

About a dozen parcels of city-owned property in or near the downtown have been identified as having potential to be developed within five years, a new report says
I hope, as the report suggests, that the land west of Idylwyld freewaynext to farmers market WILL open up this Fall!! I would be really surprised if Urban Capital didn't take a serious look at the property....although, a real estate acquaintance of mine said that the sales of River Landing NO1 were struggling with the addition of the 4 floors and there had been a price drop? Not sure that is true or not, but that is what this person indicated.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan